'79 Turbo in an Essex

dmarx

Just an update on the project. Got everything mocked up. TH400 trans sets great with adapter plate. The headers will need to be custom made since the frame is only 24 inches wide on the inside. Currently have GM on it. They are in the way of the steering shaftand to close to the frame. The down pipe will be be redone with a tighter radius. Anyone need a down pipe? Brake lines and gas lines are done. Fresh carb coming from Holley Custom shop. OEM rebuild. Found a turbo on ebay that is in excellent condition. Any one need a good shaft and bushings I bought from G-pop? Body is out for paint. Front fensers and side panels will get done soon. Well this summer is going to be interesting.
Dan

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 106
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 91
Hey, the motor was cheap, it's the other stuff that adds up. But hey, find another '28 Essex with this engine.

Looks good Dan. I've got a guy north of me putting one in another ferd that I've been helping out. He's not puter savy so any pics that might get posted will be taken by me and posted.

I am having AC and alternator bracket made from aluminum next week. I am using a mini-alternator, 60 amp. I am going to put a vacuum port on the carb for then power brake line. There is already a small port there, I should be able to make it bigger for the 3/8 hose.

Charlie, pass along any pix or info. that what this forum is for. Hey, ya'all have helped out a bunch. Do you need any close up photos?
Dan

Looks good Dan. I've got a guy north of me putting one in another ferd that I've been helping out. He's not puter savy so any pics that might get posted will be taken by me and posted.

cowboydan contact me at dlmarx@bellsouth.net. I can't find the darn PM button!!!!
Would love some close up pics when you get everything back together Dan.:)

As far as PM's go, click on the persons avitar and it will show a pop up with the persons info in it. You'll see "start a conversation" in it. Once you click on it you and PM that person.:)

Turbo is not new, I took it apart and cleaned it up. There are several on this list that can recommend a rebuilder. I have bought parts fron G-Pop shop.
Dan

Understand. ("G- pop noted") .... Dan, Would you happen to know IF (IF) they can / could rebuild
a "wasted Turbo" ? (I have two spares and one of them has shaft play so severe it ate the impeller!

< I'll e-mail them with more exact info. but wondered if you'd happen to know >.

We've got a good turbo guy that not only can rebuild your turbos but upgrade them if you want. I can PM his info to you if you'd like.:)

Please would you Charlie ? < Are "rebuilds" better than the original equipment > ??
*(I'm guessing yes)