69 Chevelle SS 396 goes down!

PsychoBuickBoy

The Money Pit
This was a fun one! What a beautiful car, I was driving around minding my own business when I see a red hot rod behind me with black racing stripes on it's hood. He weaved through a little traffic behind me and was comming up hard on my right. Very nice 69 SS Chevelle 396! I looked ahead and saw a green light down the road so I slowed and put my hand up out of my window to motion him to try to catch the red. He comes up beside me and slows to my speed and we catch eye contact, both have huge grins! We coasted and sure enough the light turns red. We come to a stop next to each other and he won't look at me but he sits and revs that big block 396. I can see his whole car torque over each time he hits it, COOL! Now I'm thinking do I spool or not? My radials are bald but I have a tank of AVGAS and 20 psi of boost. I decided to leave off idle and run him down. Light turns green and we both leave very easy, he too must have been thinking of traction! I mash the pedal down full throttle as we enter the middle of the intersection. He nailed it and let out a cute little chirp. He pulled on me through the intersection and just as his back bumber was at my door my boost hit with full force - 20PSI. I started to sneak past him then my tires broke loose and I was still staying with him! He knew it was all over with now, as soon as I hit second I was off like a sling shot. I Pulled a good 5 lengths and let off.

He shot up next to me and was blipping his throttle again. He wants more???? I nailed it again and pulled away very easily. I slowed again and he shot by me again at full throttle. This I didn't understand, he wanted me to humiliate him again? Well, I watched him fly by this time and a car pulled into his lane and he braked hard, locking up his tires briefly. I rolled by him shaking my head and after that I think he had enough. He stayed a ways back and ended up turning at the next light. Beautiful car but a very sore loser!

Nice kill. I like the red ones with black stripes the best.

Question- what is avgas? Aviation fuel? What octane is it and is it leaded?

AVGAS is leaded 100 octane aircraft fuel. It's official name is AVGAS 100LL (LL for low lead). It is only 2.20 a gallon here which is VERY cheap comapared to any race fuels. I wouldn't crank the boost up on it too much, but it is fun on trhe street!