40 Below coolant additive.... anyone heard of it or use it? RMI-25 better?!?!

gnx7

I was at the local auto parts store and saw this product on the shelf touting up to 40 degree cooler temps.

40 Below
from ProBlend Motorsports

800 331-9520 order
336 723-9404 tech

Anyone used this before? What were the results.

I'm thinking of getting this or RMI-25...... which would you guys recommend?

-GNX7

I've used both, get the RMI25. Its much better. I remember hearing some bad things about 40 below. I used it in my Z28, and it did absolutely nothing for me.

I've heard nothing but good things about the RMI-25..... I'm getting some then.

-GNX7

Mark
I have been running it for years with distilled H2O, and I found a 7 - 10 deg temp drop. With the rad size limit I have to live with, every bit helps. ;)
You wont be sorry. Also my rad still looks new inside.

Paul

Do you add the whole bottle or just follow the instruction on the bottle?????????????

are you taking about rmi or 40 below?

Originally posted by Sleeper
Mark
I have been running it for years with distilled H2O, and I found a 7 - 10 deg temp drop. With the rad size limit I have to live with, every bit helps. ;)
You wont be sorry. Also my rad still looks new inside.

Paul

This issue has been debated numerous times over the years. RMI is a nice product, but the real reason it "lowers" temps is because you should use it with plain water. Water transfers heat more efficiently then antifreeze does. So, your cooling system runs more efficiently with plain water. The RMI is there to replace the lubricants and cleaning agents you loose when you don't run antifreeze.

If you run RMI with your 50/50 antifreeze mix, it will keep the system clean, but really won't lower temps.

Also remember, as has been debated, just because the water temperature is lower, doesn't mean the engine is.

If your environment allows, RMI with distilled water is a great setup.

I DO know that the addiditve package in RMI is better - especially in the cleaning area then water wetter. Never heard of the other one.

Originally posted by tjthorson
This issue has been debated numerous times over the years. RMI is a nice product, but the real reason it "lowers" temps is because you should use it with plain water. Water transfers heat more efficiently then antifreeze does. So, your cooling system runs more efficiently with plain water. The RMI is there to replace the lubricants and cleaning agents you loose when you don't run antifreeze......./B]

Sorry Todd, after using RMI-25 for over 10 years and know of literally hundreds of users around the country, it WILL lower operating temps with plain water.

There are 2 reasons for this. First, it contains a surficant that breaks down water tension between the fluid and the surface it contacts for better heat transfer.

Second, a very unique property RMI has is that is continuously cleans the system while it is being used. With no scale or slime build up, there is much better heat transfer.

Personally I know of many cases where adding just RMI to a plain water system has reduced operating temps as much as 10 degrees. Like you stated, removing antifreeze and using plain w/RMI will drastically reduce temps sometimes as much as 20-25 degrees.

Used with antifreeze, RMI will also lower temps 5-10 degrees.

For more RMI info and Q&A's, there is a page on my web site addressing this. Soon to have a short RMI-25 video there as well.

How does Redline Water Wetter compare? Haven't heard of these y'all are discussing. Just got an order of WW in, is it not as good? Their site & bottle say the same as you all are--better with just water, okay with 50/50. Won't be running w/o coolant though. ;)

Originally posted by GN One Day...
How does Redline Water Wetter compare? Haven't heard of these y'all are discussing.

Would not advise running WW and just water. It does contain a surficant but not additives to perevent corrosion, and of course does not clean the system.

Did use WW many years ago before I found RMI. After using it in a few radiators, they developed leaks. When "disceting" the radiators to determine what happened, found the leaks at joints were due to internal corrosion had eaten the metal and solder joints.

As a side note, couple years ago I convinced Lawrence Conley to use RMI in Tweaked II, his twin turbo Camero. They would only run plain water in this 6 sec. ride. He stated that at the end of a run, coolant temp was 10 degrees less with RMI!:cool:

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Sorry Todd, after using RMI-25 for over 10 years and know of literally hundreds of users around the country, it WILL lower operating temps with plain water.

Used with antifreeze, RMI will also lower temps 5-10 degrees.

For more RMI info and Q&A's, there is a page on my web site addressing this. Soon to have a short RMI-25 video there as well.

Nick - you are right on. I have it in the Buick as well as my 91 Accord. People remark - how come your temp gauge never moves!;) It works and that is without 'plain water' in both my vehicles.

Wish this topic had come up last week, I wouldn't have ordered the WW. I'll probably flush it again in a couple of months, I'll give the RMI a shot then.