325-4L Rebuild time

84ZZ4

Well, it looks like the trans in my 84 Toronado is toast. I guess the mighty 307 was just too much for it. No downshift to manual 1st and no reverse. Saw way too much clutch material in the pan for having changed the fluid recently too. I'm guessing this means the Lo/Reverse clutch pack has gone the way of the Dodo.

I picked up a trans out of a Turbo Riviera (BJ code) to rebuild for it from a fellow board member. I'd like to get that freshened up before I put it in. I think I'm going to ditch the 307 and go with a mild build on the 350 olds I have gathering dust in the corner.

So here's the questions:

1) Is there anything special that needs to be done to the "BJ" transmission in order to get it to shift halfway decently and hold together behind the mild 350? In particular, my biggest beefs with the stock 307 trannies is the short-shifting of 1st to 2nd at anything less than 100% throttle. Any recommended aftermarket parts, etc? Any major weak points that need to be addressed?

2) Any idea what would be a good converter to stick inbetween the motor and the trans? I don't really want a ton of stall; I've only got a 3.18 final drive, and I'm not going to be really racing the thing; however the stock stall with the stock motor just blows.

3) Can anyone recommend a builder that can do a competent job on this tranny without charging me a fortune? I'm located in Western PA near pittsburgh; but I also spend a significant amount of time in Northern VA near DC.

TIA for any help...