2004R to 235 I-6 Question

sals apache

So I've been working on a 1958 chevy apache for the last 8 years. It's gone from basket case to nice daily driver. Along the way, modifications and improvements have been made with the idea of not losing the fresh inline 235 motor that a friend donated to the cause. A bad knee made it real hard to shift with the original 4 speed, so an automatic with an adapter plate was installed (Turbo 350) . I was concerned with the high engine rpms with the TH350, so I was able to purchase a used 2004r from an owner of a Monte Carlo SS who had purchased a crate 350/TH350 combo. A friend has helped with the installation of the 2004R, but we are having a real time trying to figure out how to proceed. I purchased the wiring kit from bowtie overdrives, pretty straight forward and I understand that these are designed to work with your standard GM based carbs on V-8, but we have managed to mount the TVcable in a manner that seems to be functioning. After making some adjustments, the transmission shifts smoothly from 1st to 3rd, then has a real tough time shifting into overdrive. When it does shift into overdrive, it has a tough time staying there. We've been struggling with this guy for the last 3 months. Any help or ideas are truly appreciated.

What is your rear gear ratio? That Monte SS trans was calibrated for a 3.73 although I imagine your truck will be at least that much gear or numerically higher.

The cable bracket geometry is key to proper adjustment and function. Did you attempt to follow a schematic or more or less wing the cable attachment to the carb?

Your problem is more than likely in the tv geometry.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What is your rear gear ratio? That Monte SS trans was calibrated for a 3.73 although I imagine your truck will be at least that much gear or numerically higher.

The cable bracket geometry is key to proper adjustment and function. Did you attempt to follow a schematic or more or less wing the cable attachment to the carb?
The gear ratio was changed to a 3.38 Ring and Pinion from Patrick's antique cars and trucks. I could not find a schematic for the cable attachment for this combination, and the transmission sits so much further from the carb than a typical V-8 application.(We are utilizing the factory cable attachement). On the 235 Inline engine, the carb sits center just left of the head. The attachment is currently connected to the Throttle rod from the gas pedal. I am now looking at picking up a longer (universal) TV cable from bowtie overdrive that might get me to the carb.