1985 Buick Regal Fueling Issue

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
I have a 1985 Buick Regal. 3.8 carbed. When it is first started it idles high and blows black/grey smoke. Running extremely rich and gets terrible gas mileage. Since it's not a turbo engine I have no idea where to start. After it warms up it still idles a little high but the smoke clears up. I know it's a fueling issue but not sure what. Thanks for any advice.

If you turn the car on but don't start it do you hear a clicking sound for a minute or 2? Sound would be coming from under the hood.

It's a computer controlled engine. Start with the check engine light and a scan tool.

Does the light turn on and then off when you start the car?

Took the old girl up to the parts store for a scan. Check engine light is on. The car would not communiate with the scan tool.:D Bad Computer?

ALDL issue most likely since the carb is "clicking". It is possible that you have a puter that's bad but I don't think so.

Charlie the carb isn't clicking. I'm trying to get this issue fixed so I can post on the second issue. The next on is a wierd one.:D Other than the poor gas mileage and rich idle with black smoke she runs like a champ.

First thing first then. Make sure the puter is getting power. Then pull the plug off the puter and make sure it's in right and no corrosion. While you have the puter unplugged pull the cover off and remove the chip and reinstall it to make sure there's no issues there. Then see what happens.