15 dollar air box

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
0106131544a.jpg
Dremels and junkyards are great.

The tube is out of the front section of the box. I cut the raised section of the box out.
0106131545.jpg

Here's what I ended up with. I left the original cutout section just to aid in directing air and keeping the box more rigid, but I may end up just cutting it out.
0106131610.jpg

That I can do today. Didn't turn out as pretty as I wanted because I didn't have anything black to seal the fender duct so I ended up using rtv. I figure roofing sealer would blend well and enable a guy to form it around the ribs in the box. I'm sure the box didn't do much but I can feel it pull air from both inlets so it's gotta do something. Only bad part is you still only utilize half the air filter at best.

pretty much a custom gutted stock box , definately an improvement !

a couple other budget options would be 2 feet of 4" smooth intake tubing from zzp or intense (around $10 a foot) a roof flashing plastic with rubber insert like you use to seal up a pipe going through a roof on a house , around $ at home depot and a cone filter. This will essentially do what a JMB intake will at a fraction of the price, this is what I have used on my cars.

The intake tubing goes on the throttle body with hose clamp , poke hole in tubing for IAT sensor , cone filter (K&N or similar) gets located in fenderwell (99+ or need to relocate washer bottle for 98 or earlier) roof flashing screwed to fenderwell opening to seal out hot air , optionally wrap tubing in reflectix or similar to insulate. seen people do similar with 4" thinwall pvc instead of intake tubing to do it all at home depot lol with a 3" to 4" rubber pipe adaptor to make the transition from tb to pvc tubing.

or small black rubbermaid trash can like you would keep under your desk at work cut to fit in the corner behind the headlight to take in air from behind headlight as well as fenderwell , cone filter inside trash can , optionally glue reflectix to inside of trash can after finished cuting and sizing , could even get fancy and keep pcm inside if you want. This will do everything a thrasher or wizair intake will do for a fraction of the price