12" brake swap problem

KendallF

Blah blah blah
I think I'm going nuts... :) I'm working today on putting my front suspension together; finally got the upper a-arms set up. I had previously gotten B-body spindles, complete w/the big rotors, calipers, etc. from the junk-yard.

I bought 1LE rotors and gave away the old rotors, had the spindles reamed for the bigger upper ball joints I'm using, etc. Now today I start to put them together. I put one rotor on one spindle, no problem. I go to put the other rotor on the spindle..it's hitting the "ear" for the caliper.

After some cussing and head scratching, I measure the spindles. One spindle measures approx. 6 1/4" from the center of the spindle to the caliper bolt holes. The other measures 6". I know I took big rotors off of these spindles...what the heck is the deal?!

I am now wondering if the B-body rotors were 11 1/2" or so and barely fit where the 1LE rotors are 12" even or something. It's a weak theory but it's all I've got. :) I'm headed to the junkyard tomorrow with a tape measure in hand..hopefully I'll get one that'll work. :confused:

I've put some pictures here; note the couple of pictures where I'm holding a tape measure and the one that shows the edge of the rotor rubbing the caliper mount ears. Anybody ever seen this before?

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kendallf32212/lst?&.dir=/front+suspension

Not all B-bodies had the 12 inch brakes. They could have the 11 inch brakes also. Maybe you have one of each?

Originally posted by KendallF

I am now wondering if the B-body rotors were 11 1/2" or so and barely fit where the 1LE rotors are 12" even or something. It's a weak theory but it's all I've got. :) I'm headed to the junkyard tomorrow with a tape measure in hand..hopefully I'll get one that'll work. [/url]

As mentioned there are 2 different B Body rotor diameters, There are also 2-3 different spindle setups, it's best to get the spindles off of the same car, and make sure the rotors are 11 7/8. They are just under 12, and the 11s are like 11.3, as I recall.

If your not sure about the spindles being mates, the casting numbers should be +- 1 of each other.

Update: I went out and pulled another spindle today; verified the rotor diameter and the caliper bolt hole spacing. The part # on this one is one digit off of the correct RH spindle. I guess somebody'd done a replacement on the original car at some point.

Now I just have to clean this spindle up and get it reamed. The spindle set me back a whopping $5, and with the $5 to get it reamed, that will hit my budget for $10. Guess I'll have to forgo a burger or two. :)

Originally posted by KendallF
Guess I'll have to forgo a burger or two. :)

Tell em to put it on my account, I'll cover ya.....
glad ya found the right piece.

What kind of bushings are you using? I've read that others have used all solid?? I am planning on using a solid steel greasable one by the DP and polygraphite elsewhere.

Has anyone tried Russels braided hose kit? $71 for all 3 hoses doesn't seem too bad........supposed to help brake fade too.

I have the kit installed, haven't done MUCH driving though with it though, only about 4 mi. in the last year. I wonder if I can get 'rollover miles' from the insurance comapny? Kinda like the rollover minutes from the Cell Phone companies.....if you don't use them one year, you can use them the next....

Ryan

Russells makes a great kit of hoses for the car. Put them on salvageV6 since the originals were cracked and rotted.

Peace of mind was better than the pedal feel.

Good luck with the back one. :eek:

For the Russells, I used them when I changed to the 12 inch front discs. I went with the greasable brass bushings for the turbo side when I installed the Globel West control arms.
Tarey D.

I went with the greasable brass bushings for the turbo side when I installed the Globel West control arms

Yeah, but as far as I know Global West only sells those brass bushings with the arms. There was talk of someone else making some........but none for sale I have seen so far

:(