10K mode

86GN-862+2

Using ALDL and it reads ECM using a 10k resistor from what I can figure when it checks up "10K mode" box. I noticed that when aldl cable is hooked up, rpm's jump about 200-300 and stay there until cable is unplugged. I am thinking this has to make a big difference when trying to set IAC and TPS. When I had the scanmaster hooked up, rpm's did not fluctuate. Any thoughts?

When using an ALDL cable (and laptop) to display sensor data or adjust TPS/IAC, you want nothing between pins A and B of the ALDL port.

pins A & B shorted = Diagnostic mode (SES flashes trouble code)
pins A & B 10k resistance = ALDL mode (1000 rpm idle speed, 8 degrees added to spark advance)
pins A & B 3.9k resistance = Factory Test mode for system backup

Disconnect the 10k resistor in your ALDL cable.

Dennis

Wow! No wonder I was having a real hard time setting IAC. TPS not so much. Very well explained! I appreciate your response very much sir!
The computer has Direct Scan but it is not functioning properly so it is coming out as well as the "volt blaster" booster. This car has sooo many bolt ons and not all are helping much LOL.

Opened up the Aldl cable and snapped the 10k resistor. It now reads fine plus I can see BAT volt at 13.6 and a couple of other sensors! I have now set IAC to around 40-43 with TPS at .45/1.61( at WOT) and LV8 at 27-31. Rpm's are around 775-800 which is close enough. MAF is reading 4 which I think is acceptable. Should I shoot for 5-6 instead? O2 is reading .796 volts at idle but dont know how to interpret that number Now gotta find a vacuum leak so I can bring BLM down. You guys rock!