XFI, rough idle, no A/F, no TPS

Ok I played with the A/F in the idle cells and it did start to smooth out. I have quite a jump in numbers once out of the first few cells. The car does idle better but it revs up and down in RPM's from 800-950. I also got the TPS recalibrated last night which helped some.

I still need to find out how to flash this box with the thumbwheel.

Also, where do I calibrate the Fuel and oil Pressure? I know i have to do it but I cant find where. I'm thinking I need to make sure my Fuel Pressure is at 43psi with the line off.

Do I need to calibrate any other sensors?

Does the car seem happy at 800RPM.... it might be too low.... not sure what cam you are running.... I would recommend the bottom left 4+ cells to be all within a number or two of each other.... so the bubble... as the engine fluctuates a little isn't transitioning to an adjacent cell with a big jump in VE number.... hence big fuel change....

Unless you bought and hooked up the fuel and oil pressure kit for the FAST.... it didn't come with it.... it is a several hundred dollar option....

You may not need to calibrate anything else.....

I would check your IAC numbers.... and see where you are... if it is out of whack... the idle won't cooperate either....

Next step will be to get her into closed loop....

Does the car seem happy at 800RPM.... it might be too low.... not sure what cam you are running.... I would recommend the bottom left 4+ cells to be all within a number or two of each other.... so the bubble... as the engine fluctuates a little isn't transitioning to an adjacent cell with a big jump in VE number.... hence big fuel change....

Unless you bought and hooked up the fuel and oil pressure kit for the FAST.... it didn't come with it.... it is a several hundred dollar option....

You may not need to calibrate anything else.....

I would check your IAC numbers.... and see where you are... if it is out of whack... the idle won't cooperate either....

Next step will be to get her into closed loop....

Yeah I do have the oil and fuel senders wtih the Caspers harness. It says I need to change voltage to reference between 1 and 5 but I'm not sre where to do this.

I have the left four cells pretty darn close to each other and that did help the idle but it still revs up and down. It's just not as choppy anymore.

The cam is a Full Throttle 215/220 hydraulic roller.

Do the closed loop settings that I previously posted look OK? Seems a little odd to me. Otherwise how would I get it into closed loop?

Yeah I do have the oil and fuel senders wtih the Caspers harness. It says I need to change voltage to reference between 1 and 5 but I'm not sre where to do this.

I have the left four cells pretty darn close to each other and that did help the idle but it still revs up and down. It's just not as choppy anymore.

The cam is a Full Throttle 215/220 hydraulic roller.

Do the closed loop settings that I previously posted look OK? Seems a little odd to me. Otherwise how would I get it into closed loop?

They look OK to me.... the car is staying above 140 isn't it? You could bump that back to 120 deg like ours is.

What is your IAC numbers? hot idling....

What is in the target AFR table?

Like Cal mentioned above... all the afterstart fuel must be out..... you should be able to see this on the dashboard of the VE table when online and the car is running....Aft Corr. (%) MUST BE 0% before it will go into closed loop. Otherwise everything you got looks fine....

Don't forget to check your target AFR table.....

HTH

I still need to find out how to flash this box with the thumbwheel.

per the Thumbwheel instructions:

The FLASH ENABLE is in operation when the selector switch reads "4"

Also, where do I calibrate the Fuel and oil Pressure? I know i have to do it but I cant find where. I'm thinking I need to make sure my Fuel Pressure is at 43psi with the line off.

Section 23.0 in the help section has detailed instructions on how to set up the Analog Sensors

Do I need to calibrate any other sensors?

You need to make sure every sensor is calibrated correctly. There is an entire section dedicated to this at: View/System Configuration/Sensor Calibration.

If I did your your start-up program, these should be correct. Either way, the TPS & VSS (Rate Sensor) needs to be specifically adjusted to your vehicle.

In addition to what we have already posted, verify your Closed Loop Correction Limits aren't zeroed out at idle.

per the Thumbwheel instructions:

The FLASH ENABLE is in operation when the selector switch reads "4"

Section 23.0 in the help section has detailed instructions on how to set up the Analog Sensors

You need to make sure every sensor is calibrated correctly. There is an entire section dedicated to this at: View/System Configuration/Sensor Calibration.

If I did your your start-up program, these should be correct. Either way, the TPS & VSS (Rate Sensor) needs to be specifically adjusted to your vehicle.

Ok I have tried to Flash the ECU with the thumbwheel in position 4. The FLASH is never able to work under File. Do I need to jumper the two top right terminals on the ALDL as well?

Ok I have been reading trought the Help section and I do see a base calibration page but nothing relating to the Rate Sensor Calibration. How do I adjust this to my specific car?

The readings now are:
Driveshaft RPM: 1800
MPH Calibration: 1359
Aux RPM Calibration: 100

Ok I have tried to Flash the ECU with the thumbwheel in position 4. The FLASH is never able to work under File. Do I need to jumper the two top right terminals on the ALDL as well?

OK I did get the FLASH to work. I just grounded the white wire on the thumbwheel. I have to change the crank reference angle from 6 to 12.75 in order to get the timing correct. This BHJ balancer must have been quite a bit off!

Ok I have been reading trought the Help section and I do see a base calibration page but nothing relating to the Rate Sensor Calibration. How do I adjust this to my specific car?

The readings now are:
Driveshaft RPM: 1800
MPH Calibration: 1359
Aux RPM Calibration: 100

OK I just figured out this is incase I have a sensor on my driveshaft correct? I dont so I should have to worry about it?

In addition to what we have already posted, verify your Closed Loop Correction Limits aren't zeroed out at idle.

Cal, in the Closed Loop Corrrections Chart, nothing is zeroed out. The bottom left is 10 and the top right is 25. Otherwise it ranges from there throughout the chart.

OK as for the IAC

In the Corrections chart, I have:
IAC Target: 5 (bounces some but mostly at 5)
IAC PD Term: Between -1 and -3

I'm not sure what these numbers mean or should be. Any info?

OK as for the IAC

In the Corrections chart, I have:
IAC Target: 5 (bounces some but mostly at 5)
IAC PD Term: Between -1 and -3

I'm not sure what these numbers mean or should be. Any info?

I believe you will find if you close the throttle a little with the throttle screw... the IAC numbers will come up....... try to get them up around 25-35..... then readjust the TPS sensor.... and verify the scale for the TPS is correct.... might have to do it again after you move the TPS sensor....

I believe you will find if you close the throttle a little with the throttle screw... the IAC numbers will come up....... try to get them up around 25-35..... then readjust the TPS sensor.... and verify the scale for the TPS is correct.... might have to do it again after you move the TPS sensor....

OK do I want the PD Term or Target to be 25-35?

I did adjust the screw for the idle down some and it's not even on the throttle lever. RPM's are bouncing 700 and 1100 at warm idle.

When it does want to actually idle smoothly, it idles high at around 1200 RPM

I'm starting to wonder if the IAC motor is bad? I do have a spare so I will change that out tomorrow and see if it helps or not with this high idle.

OK do I want the PD Term or Target to be 25-35?

I did adjust the screw for the idle down some and it's not even on the throttle lever. RPM's are bouncing 700 and 1100 at warm idle.

When it does want to actually idle smoothly, it idles high at around 1200 RPM

I'm starting to wonder if the IAC motor is bad? I do have a spare so I will change that out tomorrow and see if it helps or not with this high idle.

Target.....yes

Not on the screw.... hmm.... something isn't right.... you should be able to get the throttle closed enough to get the IAC target up.... unless you have a vacuum leak somewhere..... letting more air through.... might be contributing to the inconsistant idle.....

I have to change the crank reference angle from 6 to 12.75 in order to get the timing correct. This BHJ balancer must have been quite a bit off!

Mkae sure you are setting it to actual timing. There are some timing trims that can throw things off (idle trim and ATS correction)

Just go to the throttle follower table and raise the green line up at 0 TPS. if the idle goes up, it's working

Mkae sure you are setting it to actual timing. There are some timing trims that can throw things off (idle trim and ATS correction)

OK this is how I set the timing. First I went into my Spark Table and changed the entire tire to 25. Then I went in with my timing let and raised the RPM's till I could find a clear line on the balancer. The line was bouncing around at idle becuase it idles rough so I would guess the RPM's were around 1800-2000 when I could finally see a clear line. Then I just adjusted the crank reference angle until the tiing light read 25. Is this correct? I'm new at all of this so most everything is foreign language to me until I learn this system and the lingo to go with it.

Just go to the throttle follower table and raise the green line up at 0 TPS. if the idle goes up, it's working

Ok, any ideas on why my idle is so high and it wont idle when in lower RPM's? I cant get the idle any lower than 1200 once it warms up. Before that it raises and lowers RPMs and wants to die.

OK, looking at the throttle follower, at 0 TPS, the IAC position is 0. Should I bump this up to 22? I did raise it from 0 at 0 TPS and the RPM's did rise.

After raising it to 22 on the chart, the car idles much smother and stays at about 1000 RPM.

Is this in the global set up parameters? Crank refernce table? Mine is set at 12.75 using the process as I stated earlier. Is this the correct process?