XFI: New motor-will not start.

I am using a switched wire that stays hot in both positions, it is a new wire I re ran, and I think since I have the thing running for 1-2 seconds then it shouldn't be a loss of power with the xim.

I looked at you throttle follower, and I will try yours to see if it infact helps out my cause.

Do you think it could have been something as simple as the cam sync being 5 and not 6? could this have been the route of all my problems?

Adrian
Was the table open when you pasted from file ? if so, it wont update the table until you close it out and reopen. See pictures attached.
AG

Attachments

• AdrianFollower.jpg
    AdrianFollower.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 103
  • AGFollower.jpg
    AGFollower.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 97
Correct Allan, my old table was still open. Closed it and re opened and I saw yours.

Chuck, yes fuel is still on, 50 psi during cranking and 43 psi when running. I know I need to tweak it up a hair as my base pressure is set to 45 psi.

May just need to log IAC position and see what it's doing during the stall. Also, just making some guesses here, you also may want to check for constant power on the hot wire relay Cal supplies with the kit.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which IAC should I log there are four:

IAC P Term
IAC D Term
IAC PD Term
IAC Status?

As for the hot wire, are you speaking of the main power wire going into the XIM?

Adrian

PS: Thanks a lot for your help Allan, I know you do not need to do this at all.

which IAC should I log there are four:

IAC P Term
IAC D Term
IAC PD Term
IAC Status?

As for the hot wire, are you speaking of the main power wire going into the XIM?

Adrian

PS: Thanks a lot for your help Allan, I know you do not need to do this at all.
I think the XIM had a constant power wire going to the fuse box located within the car from the harness directly going to the XIM, and also a relay near the factory module plug with switched key power controlling the relay. This is on the kits the plug into the factory module plug. Don't know about the other harness Cal supplies.
Again, I hate guessing but I will admit to not ever logging IAC stuff. I would think it would be" IAC Target". I would expect the value to be somewhere between 0 and 255 and preferable near the low end. If its "0" I would say the IAC is completely shut and can't maintain minimum target because the throttle blade is to far open, 200+ and its probably completely open to increase idle because min throttle angle is to far closed.
AG.

Allan, i have wired the XIM and XFI constant power directly to the battery thru individual fuses, so i am certain that constant power is good.

i will log the IAC target and see what happens. i was also thinking that i would unplug the iac and plug a spare one in to see if it is cycling.

As i see it right now, the motor is either getting too much fuel or not enough air to be getting 9.50 A/F's.

I will entertain any other ideas if anyone has them.

Adrian

Also on your log it looks like your not attempting to add throttle to keep it running and depending on the IAC to do all the work. This is ok on a good tune but I'm trying to differentiate if it just won't run at all after initial start or if it just stalls because of a min throttle blade adjustment.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at my tune file and comparing it to yours, I'm not running that much VE in idle cells using 160# injectors. May want to try taking some VE out and try. Would try a drastic change in the low 30's and see what happens.
I don't know anything about your combo and obviously a lot of things effect the idle VE so its almost impossible to make a direct comparison.
AG.

Thanks Allan,

I will try changing the base be table, lower the after start, lower the cts correction and use your throttle follower table and see what happens.

Adrian

Shit, still nothing. I really do not think it is a matter or A/F anymore. the very first time I started it I had it running for 10 seconds but it was leaning out on me and slightly surging... went to try it again and same crap as yesterday.

Tried adding throttle to keep it alive, but it repeats itself regardless of rpm, it stays alive for 1-2 seconds and then dies.

I noticed the XIM Sync always stays at 0 on my datalog. I wonder why? On the box, the left light is on, which means it is communicating with the XFI.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• startup oct17.zip
    2 KB · Views: 62
Gave it a quick look. Cam Sync Flag changes from 0 to 1 probably when it actually syncs. The Cam Sync value while running looks about 100 BTDC +/- 5 ish. I just got mine running a month ago and don't know what to expect for cam sync values but this looks funny to me. The XIM Sync flag I have no idea.
AG.

I'm going to be using my car tomorrow night. I'll try and see what some of these things look like on mine.
AG.

OK, Here is an example of my cold start. Note Cam sync and IAC target. I also took a snapshot of the live throttle follower during idle. You can see the crosshairs representing the actual IAC target while running.
AG.

Attachments

• ColdStartXIM2.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 60
  • T_Follower.jpg
    T_Follower.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 108
Another possibility is the min oil pressure cut-off. I'm wondering if its not accepting the value internally and shutting off the injectors. Per the manual, it will ignore the first 4 seconds after startup. Quoted from the manual below.

'This is a safety feature that when enabled, will cut off the injectors (killing the engine) if the oil pressure drops below the Min Oil Press value. However, the system will ignore the oil pressure during the first 4 seconds after the engine has been started. This ensures the engine will be able to start even in the case that the oil pressure needs to prime initially. For this feature to be used, an oil pressure sensor must be connected and configured to the XFI via the Auxiliary Analog Inputs. See 23.0 Auxiliary Analog Sensor Setup"

Hi Allan,

I looked at your log and your XIM sync also stays at zero throughout the log, so I will assume it has nothing to do with my issue.

What I did notice is the major difference in the Cam Sync (*BTDC) Mine goes from 55* to 108* rapidly, and your fluctuates around 27*.

I wonder if this might be the route of my problem?

What are you using as a can sensor? I have a Danny Bee setup and am using a FAST Driveshaft sensor as my cam sensor, still hall effect, not inductive signal.

Adrian

Hi Allan,

I looked at your log and your XIM sync also stays at zero throughout the log, so I will assume it has nothing to do with my issue.

What I did notice is the major difference in the Cam Sync (*BTDC) Mine goes from 55* to 108* rapidly, and your fluctuates around 27*.

I wonder if this might be the route of my problem?

What are you using as a can sensor? I have a Danny Bee setup and am using a FAST Driveshaft sensor as my cam sensor, still hall effect, not inductive signal.

Adrian
I'm using the factory cam sensor. Maybe you have some noise or something going on..
AG.

that is going to be my next step. the odd thing is when I shot the timing light on it when I was cranking it over, the light was flashing on my timing tape around the 30 degree mark. It is a little hard when the engine is turning over so slowly.

I was told that I have a very large window to set the cam sensor ( roughly 120 degrees) and if I was off a little it shouldn't matter.

Ill move it and log the cranking to see if the numbers have changed at all.

Adrian

Allan, what is your crank reference angle set at? Mine is 55*. and that is what my cam sync in * is also showing on my log ( at least the lower limit), but yours is lower and linear