What Shocks should I get?

87Jen

I have an 87 GN with 114,000 miles that is pretty much all stock. I use it as a daily driver. I think it still has the original shocks on it. I would like to replace them to improve the ride a bit. Can anyone recommend some good choices?:confused:

Jen

cant really beat the price and quality of KYB gas-a-just shocks. have them on my car and work great for daily driver. around $150 for all 4!

agreed on KYBs, and summit sells them preaty cheap. if you have high expectations, go to Bilstein at 2-3x the cost. Considering you have 20 year old GM car that's pretty much all stock, the Bilsteins are like like adding adding 13 gigs of memory an Atari.
Now if you are up for a full suspension redo w/ bushings, springs, shocks, control arm, ball joints etc etc, Bilstein may be the way to go, otherwise, save the money and enjoy your driver.

although my gn is not a dd, i put in bilsteins many years ago and they were awesome compared to the stock shocks.

they are firm but not harsh. they are expensive but i wanted the best.

Will a bad shock cause a rattling sound in the back end when you hit a pot hole or if you are on a bumpy road? That's one problem I am having. If not, what would cause this?

Will a bad shock cause a rattling sound in the back end when you hit a pot hole or if you are on a bumpy road? That's one problem I am having. If not, what would cause this?

Possible. Could be exhaust bumping around too.
In MY case, my body mounts were TOASSSSTT!
The body of the car was banging on the frame in the passenger side, in the back.
Check yours..they may be gone.

ElectraJim

Love the avatar and sig!! :biggrin: :) :smile: ;)

There are alot of various rattle-resistant GN/T-TYPE add on parts
on the market too worth considering.

ElectraJim