??????? what happen

John, its a shame that does not screw onto the stock location. i dont have a remote.

really... hmmm, that surprises me. Some of the big block buick guys run the System1 filter in the stock location, that's how I found out about it - a BBB buddy of mine got one and encouraged me to try one as well. With a Biggie filter adapter from RJC I would have thought the same filter the BBB guys use could be used in the stock location on a TR too (since I thought the Biggie adapter allows one to use a filter that is normally specified for the BBB). But maybe not, I can also see how there might be clearance issues.

norbs, just to play devils advocate, could it be that your issue is the other way around? Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the filtration leading to thrust bearing wear, maybe the bearing wear is happening for some other reason and you are just seeing the results getting trapped in the filter?

My BBB friend says that one of the downsides to the System1 is that there is always something scary in his filter every time he takes it apart to clean it, whereas with paper filters he rarely bothered to look and never really noticed anything when he did. Which gives nervous people (like myself) a lot of heartburn. I just got my engine running a few weeks ago and haven't taken mine apart yet to see what's there, but he guarantees I'll need a couple of valium to calm down after I do! When Hot Rod did a test on the Pure Power (a link is on the Pure Power website) they noticed the same thing.

John

John, so you "heard" it would fit a rjc adapter? I have the adapter here but dont have a filter to try it out. it would be great if it does.

Jiohn, I jsut got off the phone with system1. they have a filter that crosses with a fram PH11/25. there's is 6in long, 13/16 thread and is $156.95. I got the filter models off RJC's website becuase system1 did not have a hp5 in there book. does the 13/16 thread sound right?

thanks

I wouldn't say I "heard" anything... just some assumptions on my part. I do know that some BBB guys run these filters. And I *think* that the RJC Biggie filter adapter allows the use of a BBB filter. Therefore, I assume that you can get the same System1 or Pure Power filter as the BBB guys and use the Biggie adapter to get it installed.

The System1 filter I got is bigger than the ones the BBB guys run, since they don't have as much room (unless they are running a remote filter setup). Here's some info from them:

Pure power reusable oil filters bad a-- - V8Buick.com

"Jegs part # 888-312361BP, Short reusable filter, 888-512561BP, Tall reusable filter. I use the short one on my 455, the 350 has enough room for the tall filter. Both filters fit all GM V-8's, they have replaceable thread inserts to fit alot of different makes of cars."

"The current Jegs catalog has them, part #'s 888-312361BP-119.99 (short filter), and 888-512561BP-134.99 (long filter) I use the short filter(3 7/8"), it is about the size of the stock filter-PF-24. The long one(5 7/8") might fit, but I think on my GS, it would hit the lower radiator hose."

You can do more searching on v8buick.com. Seems like a PF-24 is what they were talking about using in AC Delco filters, which is one of the filters listed on the RJC site to go with the Biggie adapter.

BTW, I paid ~$120 for my long one a little over a year ago. $156 seems kinda steep, check Jegs and Summit.

Hope that helps

John

I'd agree and say this filter is defective and Fram should fix the motor rather than place blame on the owner. But, after looking at other filters I still think Ken had the proper filter on the motor. I have recently read some good things about the K&N so I may order one to look at. The K&N's down at the parts stores look like the cheap AC and Fram.

Very well said and I agree 100% that FRAM should help out Ken any way possible through all of his troubles and not place the blame on the owner.

I have asked people to play nice, if this continues people will be getting a late summer vacation.

That sucks,My engine builder has always told me to stick to WIX racing filter.

Ive never had a problem with a Filter,Vacuum lines on the other hand....:rolleyes:

I have a Fram filter on my remote tranny lines/cooler and after seeing this I am wondering if I should be concerned.

Good thing this has been bought to light cause now you guys got me thinking should I remove it.

What would you guys do??

This thread is going to get locked if I have to look at it again tonight!
Insults and name calling have no place in this forum.
I am sorry that Ken hurt his motor and this is what this thread is about.
I am also sorry that Ted's motor failed.
I am sorry that Cal's name is constantly blamed for everything including no WMDs, global warming and kittens going blind.

What makes me sad is that a couple of unfortunate deals have splintered our already small and fading group of racers
I remember when it was us against the world.
Buick Brothers helping each other be faster than the rest.
Things have changed for the worse.

Ted if you are unhappy with Cal there is a feedback forum for you to type away to your hearts content.
Dave you are entitled to your opinion as well, express it else where.
Cal you have the right to rebut these accusations.
Otto and Dusty please don't respond to this thread anymore.

What I am not going to put up with is people destroying a thread with personal agendas and attacks.

Let's put this in perspective, last week I found out that my son needs surgery and will have to go under general, my friend's dad is dying of cancer and the IRS thinks I owe them more money than I can afford to pay them.
How was your week???

When i pull my purepower off i will take some pictures of it and you can see if you like them or not. The filter is tested to 1000 psi and some models have no bypass like mine. But I'm still concerned about the microfine particles that it can;t filter out.

At least I'm on topic here.......:rolleyes: John you can always immigrate to Canada to hide from the IRS..

It's a shame that does not screw onto the stock location. i dont have a remote.
System 1 does mkae a "shortie" filter that works if you remove the oil cooler. I had one on the car when I bought it. It eventually got too clogged up and I retired it, 12 years ago.

System 1 does mkae a "shortie" filter that works if you remove the oil cooler. I had one on the car when I bought it. It eventually got too clogged up and I retired it, 12 years ago.

you really have to remove the oil cooler to fit the shorty in there? I thought the shorty was the same length or less than a PF-24, which I thought fit ok with the Biggie adapter. But haven't tried it, so I dunno.

I didn't know the System1 filter element could get too clogged up to be cleaned and reused.

John

This thread is making baby Joshua cry.

Attachments

• haircut 3.jpg
    haircut 3.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 169