So what happen guys any ideas............. Manufacturing defect :confused:

Attachments

• oil filter 001.jpg
    oil filter 001.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 936
  • oil filter 009.jpg
    oil filter 009.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 937
:eek: That Sux!! Looks like to me, the filter manufacture would be to blame for a defective filter! and should cover the cost of the damage at least! Not to mention, you could have WON $10,000 if it hadn't done that...:frown: Ken keep us posted on the results..

Ken, I am very sorry to see that. Sucks big time. Hopefully you find out why that happened. What brand filter were you using? :(

Ken,

I am sorry to hear of your problem.
I will call you this week to catch up.

This is a known problem with fram oil filters. I work at a local performance shop and we see alot of this type of thing with fram. Also they have defective anti-drain back valves. Just use Napa Gold filters or Wix, Mobil 1 filters are also very nice.

When I seen you all posting bout the Fram filters I just felt the need to chime in with my 2 cents. I had a Fram oil filter on a remote oil system with using the Duttweiler pump, after engine start up the Seal blew out at first, we shut it down, thought maybe it wasn't tight enough, put another new Fram on it, started engine up, within 10 secs, the new Fram filter actually BLEW a hole out of the top of it near the seal, oil pressure was only at 70 psi. Fram SUX!! We went and bought a new WIX, and since then have never had a problem :p

The Mopar guys are death on the that Fram crap, too.
Save the oil, the parts, the filter, and have your supplier call the Fram rep... They are responsible for the repair costs..Take a look at this Googled info.
Perhaps this could be a place to start w/ the process of getting your $$ back??
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/FRAM_recall.html
This is just 1 I spotted. There are 10 pages of "hits" on thier junk.

I cant see using a $4 filter on a high dollar engine.
Fram is junk plain and simple.
Use a K&N, Mobil 1, WIX, Bosch, Baldwin, in a pinch, even Purolator or AC Delco.
Never Fram they were good many, many, years ago before they were bought out 2-3 times.

Guys, this was not the cheap Fram....it was the HP racing version Fram that a lot of engine builders use on their motors. I have looked at a lot of filters locally and the Fram HP looks as good or better quality than most any other brand. Everything about it is heavy duty. In Ken's case, Fram blames it on the high pressure bypass being plugged. We all know the first thing you do in a high $$ racing motor is plug the bypass.

I'd agree and say this filter is defective and Fram should fix the motor rather than place blame on the owner. But, after looking at other filters I still think Ken had the proper filter on the motor. I have recently read some good things about the K&N so I may order one to look at. The K&N's down at the parts stores look like the cheap AC and Fram.

Well just my personal rule of thumb:
IF it says FRAM, it doesnt touch my car.
and what happened in Kens case seals the deal.

Guys, this was not the cheap Fram....it was the HP racing version Fram that a lot of engine builders use on their motors. I have looked at a lot of filters locally and the Fram HP looks as good or better quality than most any other brand. Everything about it is heavy duty. In Ken's case, Fram blames it on the high pressure bypass being plugged. We all know the first thing you do in a high $$ racing motor is plug the bypass.

I'd agree and say this filter is defective and Fram should fix the motor rather than place blame on the owner. But, after looking at other filters I still think Ken had the proper filter on the motor. I have recently read some good things about the K&N so I may order one to look at. The K&N's down at the parts stores look like the cheap AC and Fram.

That all may very well be true, but IMHO, a fram is still a fram.
I'd be willing to bet if you took a fram HP and cut it up and compared it to a good high quality filter like an equivalent Baldwin, you might be surprised. :biggrin:

guys, wants baldwin model replaces the fram hp5?? I cant even find a local store that sells baldwin, I will order case at a time online?

Sorry to see what happened to your motor :(

i use a purepower, but one of the drawbacks is with the high flow they dont filter microfine particles as well as i would like, as i see a copper film from my thrust bearing getting on the inside of the filter that should be spotless.

I'll admit Ken's ordeal has got me looking at other options. I have used the Fram HP for the last 2 years without any issues with 80psi of oil pressure at startup. Currently shopping around though.