Trans not going into reverse

I got a rebuild 200r4 transmission that was build for a 455 but the transmission was sitting up for about three years. The other I install the transmisson and notice that the reverse wasn't pulling. The forward pull hard and shift fine. At one point the car move in reverse but no power to move faster. Is there anything I need to check?

There is a "cup plug" that seals the reverse passage in the case to the low/reverse clutch housing. If it is not installed, the pressure doesn't "fill" the system when in reverse. It will bleed off around the housing and you would have to rev it to get more fluid flowing. It would still lack pressure and burn if you keep doing it. Need to pull the valve body and separator plate and see that the seal is installed and make sure if it is, it is all the way against the Low/Rev housing.

Confession is good for the soul , they say . a couple years ago I might have commited that cup plug mistake . Thought it was seated but . . . . . Pulled the valve body and one of the plastic check balls was stuck hard in the spacer plate which was new , btw. Low/reverse was toast . Haven't figured that one out yet .New lo/reverse frictions and steels and made sure the seal was seated good and used STEEL check balls this time . No more problems .

Didn't think about that one since I use the 5/16" green Viton checkballs from AX4N, AX4S, 4R100/E4OD transmissions to avoid slow engagement or getting stuck. :)

I put 4 of them in the "bathtubs" in the case. One in each spot. Quicker activation when fluid is hot and thinned out. :)

I'm a little bit slow on this one . In the atsg manual , are you deleting 55D and 55M ?

Thanks . . . . Gordon

Does the trans have an electric trans brake? If so, you have to supply voltage to the solenoid to create reverse line pressure. Most people run this off the reverse lights. Just another idea.