Top 100 Guitarists according to Rolling Stone

The RS list is pretty bad, and seems to be based more on influence than ability. It did not do a good job of getting that list right either.

Check out the Guitar 1 shredders list, its accurate and only missed a few IMHO.

Here is who should of been #2, check him out!!!

www.georgebellas.com/MainSite/Pages/Video.html

Originally posted by ronbuick
Leslie West- Mountain
Alvin Lee- Ten Years After
Did I miss their names on the "that" list too
Ron

Add to your 70's list - Does anybody remember, " Robin Trower "...

:)

Well, if we are gonna take originality and the impact made on the music industry out, and just go on pure ability, then Stev Vai would have to win it. Like him or not, he can do things on a guitar that only a small handfull of people can do. He doesn't copy anyone else, he does his own thing. Most of the guitarists mentioned here have simply copied the styles of others. I have been a guitarist since the late '60's and that dude amazes me, and it takes a lot to amaze me. Morello is good, but one on one Vai would blow him off the stage on speed, ability and originality. There is a guy that Vai uses to play onstage with him. A guy named Mike Kenneally. He can duplicate most of what Vai does. He will actually play a harmony to Vai onstage. Check out the G3 tour CD. It has Satriani, Eric Johnson and Vai on it. Vai is not only great, he does things, as a guitarist, I can't even understand. He is one of the few guys that has taken guitar playing to another level.

There is another guy who most of you have never heard of. I got turned on to him back in the '70's. John McLaughlin. He may be the fstest player I have ever heard. He does mostly acoustic stuff with Al DiMeola now, but man that guy can rip.:cool:

I have been playing guitar for over 10 years and I can tell you Rolling Stone's list is useless.

Jimmy Hendrix is one of the most overrated guitarists along with Kurt Cobain. Their death seemingly has increased the significance of their musicianship with the media.

R.S has caught alot of guff over this article and I echo Zack Wylde's sentiments. Eddie Van Halen should be #1. Hendrix isn't even in the same area code as a player/writer and does not have the body of work E.V.H has. There are plenty of other very talented guitarists that were ignored by R.S. as well.

Being an older member here as well as a guitar player for almost 30 yrs, I'd like to add another that may have been left off the list. (I didn't scrutinize it). The late Terry Kath of Chicago and Chicago Transit Authority fame. I have read an interview from long ago with Hendrix who praised Kath's abilities and said he was one of the best. Kath played with alot of soul and was quite masterful with the wah wah pedal like Hendrix. His work spans from about 69-77 before his tragic and accidental death with playing with a handgun. He's probably best known for his work on 25 or 6 to 4 with a signature solo on that big hit. Many young pups here probably won't remember Kath or his work.

Captain Mark- you and I are probably close to the same age and are both long time axemen in our own rights.... what do you think of Kath's work??

Terry Kath could definitely hold his own. I was sad when he died. The band changed after his death. To me, Chicago was never really a rock band after he died. They were more pop oriented after that.

Tracy, I have to comment on your post. Putting Kurt Cobain and Hendrix in the same category would be blasphemous IMO. I'll say it again, Hendrix was doing his thing in the '60's. Can you name anyone else from the mid '60's who did what Hendrix did?

I compare Hendrix to Michael Jordan. Jordan changed the way the game was played....forever. Hendrix did the same thing. In 20 years your kids will be saying that Michael Jordan was one of the most over rated basketball players ever, because all the players are better than he was back then. And you know that will not be true, because you were there and witnessed it. You will understand that he was the first to do those things and raised the bar for the everyone.

Hendrix innovated and changed:

The rock guitar sound and tone. It is the most copied, even today.
The way rock stars dress, and look.
The rock stage show, he was a huge innovator there.
He also raised the level of playing skill for guitarists at that time.

The reason his body of work is not that impressive, he died at age 27. And he was more of a player than writer.

Eddie Van Halen can be put in the same category. He took what Hendrix did and brought it up another notch.

Originally posted by Captain Mark
Terry Kath could definitely hold his own. I was sad when he died. The band changed after his death. To me, Chicago was never really a rock band after he died. They were more pop oriented after that.

Tracy, I have to comment on your post. Putting Kurt Cobain and Hendrix in the same category would be blasphemous IMO. I'll say it again, Hendrix was doing his thing in the '60's. Can you name anyone else from the mid '60's who did what Hendrix did?

I compare Hendrix to Michael Jordan. Jordan changed the way the game was played....forever. Hendrix did the same thing. In 20 years your kids will be saying that Michael Jordan was one of the most over rated basketball players ever, because all the players are better than he was back then. And you know that will not be true, because you were there and witnessed it. You will understand that he was the first to do those things and raised the bar for the everyone.

Terry I was not trying to suggest Cobain was on equal par with Hendrix - far from it. Hendrix did set a new standard for tone. Aside from his tone/effects I don't find many things technically unique about Hendrix IMO. Some of the first songs I played were Hendrix tunes and I appreciate his talent. However, my point was that in his death, some have elevated his talent IMO. There is no way Hendrix can compare with the likes of EVH, Randy Rhodes, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, etc from a technical standpoint. Also, IMO EVH's music has no Hendrix influence in it whatsoever and neither does his tone, they are distinctly different sounds and approaches. The only modern day guitarists that I hear heavy Hendrix influences in are guys like Kenny Wayne Sheppard, a little in Eric Johnson, Lenny Kravitz tries and of course SRV. No doubt he dictated the style of alot of 70's bands and guitar players. Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, etc.

I'm waiting for the next generation of guitar heroes, but with the present state of the music industry I won't hold my breath.

Hendrix innovated and changed:

The rock guitar sound and tone. It is the most copied, even today.
The way rock stars dress, and look.
The rock stage show, he was a huge innovator there.
He also raised the level of playing skill for guitarists at that time.

The reason his body of work is not that impressive, he died at age 27. And he was more of a player than writer.

Eddie Van Halen can be put in the same category. He took what Hendrix did and brought it up another notch.

I still don't think you are getting what I am saying about Hendrix being the FIRST to do certain things, but that's OK. We'll just have to agree to disagree! Heck, this all just opinions anyway:)

Mark you hit the nail on the head...... it's all about being innovative and this list should have been rooted in that. I can't name many guitarists that have come on the scene in the past 10-15 yrs in any musical genre that can fit that bill. Most are just copying one of their guitar heroes of the past. Also, noise and heavy distortion can hide and cover up alot of deficiencies as that is known. Let us hear someone play clean without a heavy distorted tone and you can tell how talented a player actually is. Also, was this list factoring on their lead (solo) abilities and/or rhythm capabilities?

Two more that SHOULD have been on that list are Mark Knoffler of Dire Straits fame and (don't laugh) Chet Atkins! Chet could play entire compositions on the fretboard at the same time playing solo/ bass/ and melody accompanyments. Very few could equal him at any level. Les Paul, the man himself, was also quite a player himself! I'm sure I'll think of many, many more. Very good thread and entertaining lively discussion!

Originally posted by Evans Ward
Mark you hit the nail on the head...... it's all about being innovative and this list should have been rooted in that. I can't name many guitarists that have come on the scene in the past 10-15 yrs in any musical genre that can fit that bill. Most are just copying one of their guitar heroes of the past. Also, noise and heavy distortion can hide and cover up alot of deficiencies as that is known. Let us hear someone play clean without a heavy distorted tone and you can tell how talented a player actually is. Also, was this list factoring on their lead (solo) abilities and/or rhythm capabilities?

Two more that SHOULD have been on that list are Mark Knoffler of Dire Straits fame and (don't laugh) Chet Atkins! Chet could play entire compositions on the fretboard at the same time playing solo/ bass/ and melody accompanyments. Very few could equal him at any level. Les Paul, the man himself, was also quite a player himself! I'm sure I'll think of many, many more. Very good thread and entertaining lively discussion!

I couldn't agree more. Let me here someone play clean, and I'll tel you how good he is. I am also Knopfler fan.

I used to buy my Dad Chet Atkins albums when I was a kid as birthday and Christmas presents so I could listen to them! True story.

I know the title says 'Rock Guitarists" but Les Paul would have to be in there. He was a big influence and a great picker. Have anyof you ever heard the great Django Reinhardt? He was around back in the 30's and 40's and could flat tear it up. Great player, even compared to players now. And he only played an acoustic.

Mark,

Do you know who was the guitarist (acoustic, I think?) from an earlier era (20's/30's/40's??) that was doing all of the hammer-ons that everyone thinks that EVH came up with? I recall hearing about this cat one time. Hoping you or someone else can shed light on this??

Originally posted by Evans Ward
Mark,

Do you know who was the guitarist (acoustic, I think?) from an earlier era (20's/30's/40's??) that was doing all of the hammer-ons that everyone thinks that EVH came up with? I recall hearing about this cat one time. Hoping you or someone else can shed light on this??

EVH certainly was not the first to use right hand hammer-ons, as a matter of fact Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top used them before Eddie. I don't think I recall ever hearing EVH say he originated the style either.

People unfamiliar with EVH's music often judge him too much on the hammer-on's. His true brilliance as a player IMO is his phrasing, and rhythm playing which seem to go unnoticed.

Originally posted by Captain Mark
I still don't think you are getting what I am saying about Hendrix being the FIRST to do certain things, but that's OK. We'll just have to agree to disagree! Heck, this all just opinions anyway:)

I think I get your point Mark and I appreciate your point of view. I think when you start talking influentail guitarists I would again throw EVH up there. He popularized double coil pick ups in Strat bodies and the "Brown Sound" that so many have tried to copy by modding their Marshalls.

It becomes very subjective, but overall I just don't believe Hendrix was a better player than some of the other names mentioned/ not mentioned. No doubt he was great and influenced many to pick up the guitar.

Originally posted by tracy

People unfamiliar with EVH's music often judge him too much on the hammer-on's. His true brilliance as a player IMO is his phrasing, and rhythm playing which seem to go unnoticed.

I agree with that. He would have impressed me just as much without his hammer ons. One of the all time greats.:cool:

Yeah, Wylde and Satriani definitely. I was at a loss for words when I didnt see Mike Mushok of Staind. He is the best now and definitely should be on the top 50 of that list. Hendrix may not be the best, but hes definitely the most famous.