Top 100 Guitarists according to Rolling Stone

I don't know how old you guys are, but some of us old guys were here back in the Hendrix days, and you have to understand.......absolutely NOBODY could play that stuff until Hendrix came along. Eric Clapton and Pete Townsend went to see him live in 1967 or 8, I can't remember. the only thing they could say after the show was

..........."We gotta go find another job....."

Henddrix was like from another planet. His sound and style of playing is THE most copied in history. He revolutionized Rock guitar. Remember he was doing that stuff in the mid 60's! Of course music has evolved, and so has the players, but Hendrix is the godfather of rock guitar. Ask any big time player today and he will tell you the same thing.......IMHO:)

When you stick EVH at #70, you know the list is bunk. Not to mention, Kurt Cobain had no talent as a guitarist. If he did, he never displayed it. Where is Dave Mustaine? Several greats are absent from this list, and there are several underserving artistis on here...

Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
Jake E Lee
Joe Satriani

I agree with all the above, great guitarists who are absent from a "great guitarist" list...

Originally posted by ronbuick
Joni Mitchell outplay Johnny Winter??, I need some of the stuff you been smokin!!!
Ron

Guess you didn't note my sarcasm! Joni Mitchell doesn't even belong on the list.

Kurt Cobain? wtf !!!!!!!! How about Rick Derringer? The Rolling Sone Mag is stoned!!!!!!!!

I was just talking about this on another recent thread....
To most of the morons in America, popularity=talent. (Kurt Cobain's presence on that list all but proves my point.) I mean, I PLAY and people who have never picked up an instrument will argue with me until last call that so-and-so guitarist was in a guitar showdown in Japan...blah,, blah, blah! The best way that I can explain the way I feel on this subject is as follows:

Remember the last time a NON TR owner saw yours and tried to tell you how his sister's ex-husband's old roomate's boss's dad had ''the V8 one"? You wanted to say, "Listen, a$$-pump, I know what I'm talking about...you don't, so shut up before you embarrass yourself any further!" That's how I feel quite often when this subject comes up.

I mean, it's a free country and everybody has the right to suck if they want....so argue about preference, but the next mother****er who tries to tell me that Jimmy Page has gold bones in his left hand and could out- play the guy I'm talking about (WHO THEY'VE NEVER EVEN LISTENED TO!!)....well, it wont be pretty.

Originally posted by Captain Mark
I don't know how old you guys are, but some of us old guys were here back in the Hendrix days, and you have to understand.......absolutely NOBODY could play that stuff until Hendrix came along. Eric Clapton and Pete Townsend went to see him live in 1967 or 8, I can't remember. the only thing they could say after the show was

..........."We gotta go find another job....."

Henddrix was like from another planet. His sound and style of playing is THE most copied in history. He revolutionized Rock guitar. Remember he was doing that stuff in the mid 60's! Of course music has evolved, and so has the players, but Hendrix is the godfather of rock guitar. Ask any big time player today and he will tell you the same thing.......IMHO:)

And I completely realize the impact he had on guitar playing; it was big. He deserves recognition for his guitar revolution. However, simply comparing his skill and the things he's done to, say, Tom Morello (My personal fav) he is completely outclassed. The actual amount of skill he demonstrated was not amazing when compared to today's guitarists.

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
Halle-f***in'-luyah!! I could'nt agree more! Also, you noted Tom Morello...hard to believe he started life out as just another punk kid in Libertyville, IL. While I agree that he is an incredibly schooled player, I really wish he would showcase it more often. (....P.S., Other than Morello, how many p***ed-off 'rockers' bitchin' about 'The Man' can actually say they have a degree in sociology to back it up?) :cool:

Agreed, I'd like to see him have a little more freedom, but he does such a good job of being creative and original while still following the basic layout of a song without needing a 5-minute solo that he gains that much more credit, IMHO.

Other good guitarists are:
Warren De Martini
Adrian Smith
Dave Murry
KK Downing
Glen Tipton
Slash
Marty Freidman
Steve stephans
Dimebag Darrell
Rocky George!

Leslie West- Mountain
Alvin Lee- Ten Years After
Did I miss their names on the "that" list too
Ron

I'm stumped....I can't believe that they didn't include Chet Atkins. He's the man. Listening to he and Les Paul butt heads on the guitar is amazing.

Ah well...it's all subjective.

Eddie Van Halen should clearly have been #1, as stated by Zak Wylde after reading this list. Rolling Stone is clearly biased towards "icons" and younger players like Jack White. It pays their bills through the teeny bopper subscriptions. People emulated EVH so much that he started turning his back to the crowd on solos. Imitation is the best form of flattery. Maybe Rollin Stone should imitate Revolver Magazine.

I'll give Jimmy H props for starting the guitar revoloution but I haven't seen anyone else post Frank Marino of Mahoghony Rush.
His version of JH's "Purple Haze" sounds better than the original!
Some of you might want to check out this 60's & 70's guitar guru's music!:D

Drew

I'm assuming that list is all about Rock guitarists,because there's some names that are missing and could destroy the bottom 95% on their worst days.