timing with ethanol.

I had the engine turn key and sent out to have headers made. The car was gone for 4 months. I called the header guy up and said I was coming to get the car. He said he was finishing it up. Showed up to pick up the car, I was impressed he done a great job on the headers. After getting the car home and bolting on the turbo etc. I was looking in the trunk for the rest of the parts and noticed the starter in the trunk. decided it needed to be installed so went to install to find out the left header collector was in the way by about 2". To say I was upset is an understatement. Tom and I worked on this swap every weekend several hours per day for about 4 months. The headers I just could not seem to get done myself. I shoved the car out and walked away from it. 2 months passed and i was ready to go back to work and Kevin B had a running setup for sale ready to go. I pulled it out and Dropped in the LC1. Its still as it was removed, Turn key in need of the header work. Since then Steel cranks came back out as did rods and other parts that at the time were drying up. I owned must of that stuff already. Now I am bored with LC1 and ready to do something different. The stock 3800 crank was the one piece that made me nervous to go back to the project. He will put this car in 8s before its over so now I am not so afraid of that stock 3800 crank.

I have a 3800 S2 i need to finish installing in my T. This is inspiring
Me to finish that project. Are you still running the stock crank? Also what intake are you using? I have one of the aussie intakes that is a little difficult install on my car. Yours looks perfect. sorry for thread hijacking. Great performance btw.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Still 100% stock crank. I'm still using the stock bottom half of the Aussie commodore intake manifold with a hand made plenum. These motors are a little under estimated, its making power so easy. I wouldn't call them a poor mans engine at all, they have 4 bolt mains as standard. With a full set of ARP studs, good rods and pistons, set of cometics, they are just about bomb proof. I have not had her on the dyno since it was running 14psi @580hp so I have no idea what its making now. I was draining the sump of oil last time out at around the 1000ft mark so I installed an accusump. Seems 7000rpm for long periods will drain it lol...
All good in the logs now.

Going to wind 24psi into her next time out, should go 8s easy. :)

Still 100% stock crank. I'm still using the stock bottom half of the Aussie commodore intake manifold with a hand made plenum. These motors are a little under estimated, its making power so easy. I wouldn't call them a poor mans engine at all, they have 4 bolt mains as standard. With a full set of ARP studs, good rods and pistons, set of cometics, they are just about bomb proof. I have not had her on the dyno since it was running 14psi @580hp so I have no idea what its making now. I was draining the sump of oil last time out at around the 1000ft mark so I installed an accusump. Seems 7000rpm for long periods will drain it lol...
All good in the logs now.

Going to wind 24psi into her next time out, should go 8s easy. :)

Would you consider sharing some pics of the hand made upper to give a guy a few ideas. It works better for me to have the TB in the same location as yours. I have the Aussie intake on the side mounted TB not easy to install on a turbo buick.

1426426_10202395795879884_1667373427_n.jpg

1426426_10202395795879884_1667373427_n.jpg

This is the most recent pic from a couple weeks ago. Ill have to dig up pics of the plenum on its own
as I don't know if I even took any.. lol

Was really messy with the coils out side in the bay so I moved them inside under the dash. Much cleaner, easier to work on and less worry of melting anything.

35154_423017373328_2458992_n.jpg
35154_423017383328_2757089_n.jpg

These are way old pics. We decided that direct port gas was a little over the top lol. I don't even use the single fogger now either. I removed the lot.

I also have the L67 Direct port heads. I was thinking of running two fuel rails using these heads and the intake. Nice pics. Great idea on the upper plenum. Thanks for sharing.

we had the L67 heads before but ordered the L36 heads and moved the rails father from the head. Main reason was that id2000s wont fit in the L67 direct port head. They are too short. id1600s would fit as they are longer. I also prefered father from the valve for better atomization. I want to move them even further up the runner in the future.

A double fuel rail would be quite cool. I pondered it for some time. Would be good if you are using a smaller cheaper injector to gain the flow of an id style injector. I just thought cost wise it would turn out similar because you would need another pair of rails and possibly a reg.

My Thought on two rails was I own 160s, 96s, 83s. I could use any combo of the two. I am also looking at E98 or E85 and it looks like with e98 I would need 96s and the 160s. I am brain storming on the Plenum for my Aussie intake also trying to decide if i am going to use both rails and close . LOL

I guess with 2 sets of injectors you would only have to make sure both sets can handle the same base pulse width. Unless running them off seperate ECUs. E98 is a great fuel put its not east to get started in cold weather ive found. Took me a while to get on top of the cold starts. E85 with that little bit of pump is much better for a streeter imo. I am building a KE20 corolla with an LSX turbo combo and it will be an E85 streeter.

I guess with 2 sets of injectors you would only have to make sure both sets can handle the same base pulse width. Unless running them off seperate ECUs. E98 is a great fuel put its not east to get started in cold weather ive found. Took me a while to get on top of the cold starts. E85 with that little bit of pump is much better for a streeter imo. I am building a KE20 corolla with an LSX turbo combo and it will be an E85 streeter.
I am using the Electromotive GT ecu. It is set up for 12 injectors with a staged strategy. You run the primary set of injectors and bring the secondary in when needed.

I am using the Electromotive GT ecu. It is set up for 12 injectors with a staged strategy. You run the primary set of injectors and bring the secondary in when needed.
Yeh I understand that bit, im running Vi-pec and can do that too. What I was getting at is with injectors like id2000 you can run base pulse width as low as .8 ms. A normal type bosch or seimens injector wont like that kind of pulse width. If running 2 different types of injectors can you adjust the bpw seperately for each set of injectors? If I was to run 2 rails id have to use another set of id2000's as id wreck a normal set of bosch at 0.8ms. Most the bosch run at around 2.4ms.

Yeh I understand that bit, im running Vi-pec and can do that too. What I was getting at is with injectors like id2000 you can run base pulse width as low as .8 ms. A normal type bosch or seimens injector wont like that kind of pulse width. If running 2 different types of injectors can you adjust the bpw seperately for each set of injectors? If I was to run 2 rails id have to use another set of id2000's as id wreck a normal set of bosch at 0.8ms. Most the bosch run at around 2.4ms.
Yes the GT will adjust the staged injectors separately. I dont have bosch I seimens Injectors.

id go for it then. should work well. im going to try a ported lower manifold next time its off as the one were using is still 100% stock.

went 9.35@152mph on Sunday. Way too much wheel spin. I think rain the night before killed track prep.

Great build. Lots of guys in the 3rd gen F-Body community have been going this route as well, using both the 3800 as well as the 3500 engine platforms. Very nice trap speed by the way...