THS Rules for 2012

The one problem I see with requiring radials is that slicks allow decent traction for sub par suspension setups. Radials work real good with great suspensions and fancy boost controllers. Imo, not allowing slicks gives a disadvantage to the guy who hasn't spent big money on that stuff. That's just the way I see it. This class is supposed to be a budget oriented class.

kevin

I disagree with that statement. My car 60 ft's far better on a 255 raidal that it does on a 27x10.50 slick. boxed stock uca/lca stock sway bar, ( the car has air bags but using them hurts it. Just like the pinion sunbber. my best 60ft is a 1.46

But i'm not saying that i'm for just allowing radials for THS. I say one should be able to use whatever tire that thay choose.

I vote to keep the rules the same.

kevin

I disagree with that statement. My car 60 ft's far better on a 255 raidal that it does on a 27x10.50 slick. boxed stock uca/lca stock sway bar, ( the car has air bags but using them hurts it. Just like the pinion sunbber. my best 60ft is a 1.46

But i'm not saying that i'm for just allowing radials for THS. I say one should be able to use whatever tire that thay choose.

I vote to keep the rules the same.

I think you're the exception to the rule Patrick, most peoples cars go the other way.

I propose this:
Any car that runs 10.5 or slower has an open rule book.
If car goes 10.49 or faster its an automatic dq unless it meets rules.

Reason behind this:

Car count would only increase.
Would allow people to race that don't fit th rules
Wouldn't hurt the cars in the front

What do you all think?

Nah, keep the rules the same. If you want to run THS then do what we've all done and made our cars legal. Or end the class now and the class will have a legacy in Turbo Buick conversations in decades to come because it went out on top and wasn't ended because of low car count. Then make a 10.5 sec index class where everyone including the mystical non-racing-10-sec-cars-that-would-race-if-they-had-a-class can race and you only get DQ'd only based on your eliminations avg being below 10.500. I'm guessing you'd still only have a 32 car field qualified at most. There are probably a fixed number of cars that would run TSM, THS and TAI even if the rules were outlawed and the cars grouped by ET heads up style like Pinks All-Out because there are so few cars built to start with and have guys/gals willing and able to go racing.[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I propose this:
Any car that runs 10.5 or slower has an open rule book.
If car goes 10.49 or faster its an automatic dq unless it meets rules.

Reason behind this:

Car count would only increase.
Would allow people to race that don't fit th rules
Wouldn't hurt the cars in the front

What do you all think?

I don't think car count would increase, no one would pay to enter a class that it's going to take mid 9 et's to win if they can't go faster than 10.50. The only way to truly allow alot of variations in cars but keep things some what on a level playing field is to limit the injector size. we went through these same fights over rules in the early days of the NMRA races. If you limit fuel, then no matter the combination it can only make so much power. I would say leave the rules as they are (mabee add dist., but that is for selfish reasons). I would say any changes would be to make the rules stricter.

I don't think car count would increase, no one would pay to enter a class that it's going to take mid 9 et's to win if they can't go faster than 10.50. The only way to truly allow alot of variations in cars but keep things some what on a level playing field is to limit the injector size. we went through these same fights over rules in the early days of the NMRA races. If you limit fuel, then no matter the combination it can only make so much power. I would say leave the rules as they are (mabee add dist., but that is for selfish reasons). I would say any changes would be to make the rules stricter.

The only problem with allowing a certain size is inj. Alot of the injectors look the dang same regardless of actual flow size. The only true way to handle this is X part number injector is allowed.

I really like this class. I think for now the rules should be frozen. IF some of the other cars get too much faster like 9.50's I then think the rules should be looked at again to keep the racing a tad tighter.

I can't remember the quailifing rundown but i think the spread was only like 7-8 tenths. This was of the cars that were at the first round of elimnations. Some of those that did quailify broke doing so and couldn't make first round.

But what do i know:p i'm just a idoit from the south;) With a SloGN :rolleyes:

The only problem with allowing a certain size is inj. Alot of the injectors look the dang same regardless of actual flow size. The only true way to handle this is X part number injector is allowed.

I really like this class. I think for now the rules should be frozen. IF some of the other cars get too much faster like 9.50's I then think the rules should be looked at again to keep the racing a tad tighter.

I can't remember the quailifing rundown but i think the spread was only like 7-8 tenths. This was of the cars that were at the first round of elimnations. Some of those that did quailify broke doing so and couldn't make first round.

But what do i know:p i'm just a idoit from the south;) With a SloGN :rolleyes:

I was not suggesting going that route, alot of burned up engines. We policed it buy pulling a random injector and flowing it as part of tech inspection. alot of trouble and required a resource to flow the injectors.

My thought on the open rule part was that someone can have a 70 mm turbo and no AC but runs 10.6's (many cars like this out there) still have a place to race.if he goes faster than 10.5 he is out. Also helps the guy that runs 11's legally but maybe able to do this or that that is outside the rules and get a few more tenths. Anything can happen. In bg, we had 3 cars run in the 9's and a car that ran 10.2 all weekend won.

Realistically a 10.5 car is not going to be competitive as the THS combinations are further maximized and also possibly on car count the ladder puts the 10.5 and slower cars up against the faster cars early in elims where they are cooler and should run their best times. IIRC at Reynolds, half the field ran 9's, all I saw were tailights!

My thought on the open rule part was that someone can have a 70 mm turbo and no AC but runs 10.6's (many cars like this out there) still have a place to race.if he goes faster than 10.5 he is out. Also helps the guy that runs 11's legally but maybe able to do this or that that is outside the rules and get a few more tenths. Anything can happen. In bg, we had 3 cars run in the 9's and a car that ran 10.2 all weekend won.

I don't see a downside to allowing them to run. just don't think there will be many.

Hey We need a moderator to delete this silliness.

I was reading on yb.com on some of the local classes around the country that do this and works well.

Last year I made a promise to open a discussion about the rules up and plan to do very soon, wanted to get the moderator thing behind us as last year it turned way to ugly. Granted mostly by people who never raced the class and some that do not even have a car that fits.

Take care, Kip
Not sure who you made a promise to nor do we have the same definition of "very soon".

Not sure who you made a promise to nor do we have the same definition of "very soon".

Pretty sure no changes as basically everyone racing
Asked for "no changes".
?????
Hopfully will all be smooth and certainly no reason to change when no one wants changes IMO