This thing smokes under full boost only

Had the same issue myself with a fresh rebuild. I thought it was something wrong internally to the engine and it turned out to the a turbo issue. The turn had no obvious signs of being the culprit until swapped out. My old unit is just sitting around till I feel like dealing with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m hoping that’s not the case. Was going to call Bison for a turbo but was hoping not to have to until next year.

In the middle of pulling the downpipe now...

I’m hoping that’s not the case. Was going to call Bison for a turbo but was hoping not to have to until next year.

In the middle of pulling the downpipe now...

Which turbo oil drain is on the car?

Which turbo oil drain is on the car?

I believe it’s OEM.

7e65a36c2b00b6a800f2fe6f2dee7a91.jpg

Looks OEM.
If it's not kinked, that's not the problem.

Post pics of all the breathers, and the entry side of the breathers.

Looks OEM.
If it's not kinked, that's not the problem.

Post pics of all the breathers, and the entry side of the breathers.

Appears to be clean going into the intercooler
bb328222de2d0c1e2f49ac6c8ff60fa8.jpg

Downpipe appears to be clean
9ca44b92397fb7f7203dfeea67866fec.jpg

Driver side breather
826b8c7788fb12cb923e501e32856605.jpg

8693ac89ca0c46188c8c05d874a5da7d.jpg

67cd070b651356d64dbb65508c221e81.jpg

bed1adb492379704f306a1fee99afb71.jpg

Passenger side breather
9993ca0eb7e96894618eee1b31a605ed.jpg

768df08036705e6ebcc083f1dad4b7dd.jpg

Hard to see: Does the grommet inside the VC have a flap (check valve)? If so, cut the check valve (flap) on both sides.

Hard to see: Does the grommet inside the VC have a flap (check valve)? If so, cut the check valve (flap) on both sides.

It does have the check valve. So cut it so the grommet is an open “O” all the way through?

I’m hoping that solves the problem like it did for Matt a couple years ago.

Don't forget to look past the turbine blades for signs of oil as well. It doesn't take much oil to cause smoke. Oil could be leaking inside enough to cause smoke but not enough to oil down the downpipe, yet. Check your thrust. If there is more than .0015" then that might be your problem.

It does have the check valve. So cut it so the grommet is an open “O” all the way through?

I’m hoping that solves the problem like it did for Matt a couple years ago.

Yes, cut it.

Don't forget to look past the turbine blades for signs of oil as well. It doesn't take much oil to cause smoke. Oil could be leaking inside enough to cause smoke but not enough to oil down the downpipe, yet. Check your thrust. If there is more than .0015" then that might be your problem.

As best as I can tell there’s none in there. There doesn’t appear to be even the slightest bit of play in the turbine shaft either.

As best as I can tell there’s none in there. There doesn’t appear to be even the slightest bit of play in the turbine shaft either.

FYI.....Mine didn’t either. Zero signs of a problem

FYI.....Mine didn’t either. Zero signs of a problem

That’s next step. I opened the grommets up and am about to take it for a test spin. I’ll update accordingly. Hopefully I won’t be ordering a turbo later this week.

So I went out and on the first few passes things seemed good.

After a few hard passes it smoked although less than before.

Before I went out I wiped a bunch of oil off the drivers side plug wires and steering shaft. After those passes I pulled over and noticed some smoke from under the hood and lo and behold those areas were freshly oiled and smoke was coming from the headers and crossover. I’m guessing maybe under boost oil is spraying out hard enough from the valve cover gaskets to hit the exhaust/headers and other hot parts to cause a big cloud of smoke?

I had this problem with my car, then I looked and realized my Intercooler fan blades were broken, replaced the fan and no more smoke. First few times it freaked me out, check your fan and or intercooler. I run the precision 6266 25#'s of boost

So I went out and on the first few passes things seemed good.

After a few hard passes it smoked although less than before.

Before I went out I wiped a bunch of oil off the drivers side plug wires and steering shaft. After those passes I pulled over and noticed some smoke from under the hood and lo and behold those areas were freshly oiled and smoke was coming from the headers and crossover. I’m guessing maybe under boost oil is spraying out hard enough from the valve cover gaskets to hit the exhaust/headers and other hot parts to cause a big cloud of smoke?

Take the turbo off the car and run it.see if it smokes

Should I actually drive it around the block and give it WOT? It only happens when I’m at WOT.

Are you sure its coming out of the tail pipe?
Regardless, with the oil splashing out of those valve covers, an intake leak and engine leak down test may be a good idea.

Just went through this with the 87. After a WOT blast, oil would spray the drivers side header and make a smoke show. Turned out to be that the breathers the PO installed were too restrictive. They were the dome shaped breathers with a bunch of small holes along the underside. Replaced them with open element breathers and the problem was solved. Also pinched the oil dipstick so it would hold a little better on the tube as there was a little seepage(but not enough to warrant all the smoke).

Are you sure its coming out of the tail pipe?
Regardless, with the oil splashing out of those valve covers, an intake leak and engine leak down test may be a good idea.

I’m not as I haven’t had someone following me. This has all been from the mirrors.

I’m going to redo the valve cover gaskets and see where that gets me.

Prior to this happening I replaced the timing chain set and threw a Tin Man Cold Air intake. My oil pressure has been higher (but still with it spec) since. Before that I hadn’t noticed any major smoke like that although the valve cover gaskets have been a little leaky.