This thing smokes under full boost only

You essentially choked the heads and block with those "flapper" grommets. Ask how I know.....

I'm done.

Try stock type GROMMETS and BREATHERS.

Why are you restricting STOCK stuff that Buick engineers spent considerable time getting right?
If you made the engine make more power, you need to let the block and heads breathe MORE, not less.

Because I would assume that GN1 as a reputable vendor would have a product that didn't cause an issue. I didn't realize that breather grommets were something I needed to do extensive research on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could do a catch can as well.

That's been in my long-term plans but has been low priority up to this point.

There doesn't seem to be a huge consensus on the best product for this as far as I've been able to tell.

It doesn't smoke at all at first then gets progressively worse until it plateaus.

thats because everything is heating up from running and pressure.i think you should leak it down anyway just to know where the motor is at,if the motor is solid and you do a catch can and it still blows oil the turbo would be the only thing left.i like a cold and hot leakdown personally but thats up to you.

A little off topic, but my personal belief is that a catch can for a street car is a band aid solution for a blowby issue. Your thots.
ya know, i had a car here that ran super hard and loved spitting out the breathers but it ran for a long time like that,but smoked when it ran off the valve covers,owner just wouldnt do the catch can,his choice.i will say that most every performance car up here that is purpose built does have one and they are all on the street,especially the v8 guys.i dont see a downside to them as the oil just puddles into the can and you empty that.blowby is an interesting subject.

ya know, i had a car here that ran super hard and loved spitting out the breathers but it ran for a long time like that,but smoked when it ran off the valve covers,owner just wouldnt do the catch can,his choice.i will say that most every performance car up here that is purpose built does have one and they are all on the street,especially the v8 guys.i dont see a downside to them as the oil just puddles into the can and you empty that.blowby is an interesting subject.
Cool...thanks. :cool:

Up here...almost sounds like you're in the NE. Watching you on here, you almost having me thinking you were an ATR engineer at one time as I knew one, but his spelling/punctuation/grammar was perfect. There are exceptions to the rule for engineers tho.:)

Up here...almost sounds like you're in the NE. Watching you on here, you almost having me thinking you were an ATR engineer at one time as I knew one, but his spelling/punctuation/grammar was perfect. There are exceptions to the rule for engineers tho.:)
i am in the north east :) my handwriting is awefull;)im not an engineer but have alot of science/sports in my family line,hardwired that way i guess.

• The smoke appears to be coming from "under" the car not the exhaust lending credit to the theory that the smoke is coming from oil leaking in the engine compartment and hitting the headers/crosspipe.
There is no way to develop a theory before collecting evidence. The only evidence you had at the time was smoke. The first most obvious thing to check was to see if the smoke was coming from under the car or out of the tailpipes. Any theory developed before finding out where the smoke was coming from was a blind uninformed guess. If the smoke is coming from under the car,there will be a lot of oil under the car or in the engine compartment. There will be a lot of burnt oil residue on the headers,down pipe,or crossover as the oil will have to come in contact with something hot to create smoke. As you move farther back ,the exhaust system will become cooler but would heat up more and more with repeated WOT runs. If oil is either inside the exhaust or outside the exhaust and farther back inside or outside the exhaust it will take repeated runs to heat the exhaust that is farther away from the engine. If the trans vent tube is blowing trans fluid out at WOT,it will coat the back half of the exhaust and won't smoke as early as oil hitting the headers,crossover,or down pipe.

The next step is to find oil in or on the exhaust. Look at the back of the block in front of the converter and look at the passenger side of the trans body up high where the vent is. Look at your oil pressure sending unit. Look for a lot of burnt oil.

There is no way to develop a theory before collecting evidence. The only evidence you had at the time was smoke. The first most obvious thing to check was to see if the smoke was coming from under the car or out of the tailpipes. Any theory developed before finding out where the smoke was coming from was a blind uninformed guess. If the smoke is coming from under the car,there will be a lot of oil under the car or in the engine compartment. There will be a lot of burnt oil residue on the headers,down pipe,or crossover as the oil will have to come in contact with something hot to create smoke. As you move farther back ,the exhaust system will become cooler but would heat up more and more with repeated WOT runs. If oil is either inside the exhaust or outside the exhaust and farther back inside or outside the exhaust it will take repeated runs to heat the exhaust that is farther away from the engine. If the trans vent tube is blowing trans fluid out at WOT,it will coat the back half of the exhaust and won't smoke as early as oil hitting the headers,crossover,or down pipe.

The next step is to find oil in or on the exhaust. Look at the back of the block in front of the converter and look at the passenger side of the trans body up high where the vent is. Look at your oil pressure sending unit. Look for a lot of burnt oil.

There is definitely oil on the passenger side headers, plug wires, hydroboost lines and steering shaft. I haven’t slid under the car or checked the back of the block yet.

A little off topic, but my personal belief is that a catch can for a street car is a band aid solution for a blowby issue. Your thots.
I don't like the smell of open breathers so I personally won't run without them. Catch cans eliminate that completely. Before I rebuilt my engine, 210k on it, I'd empty the catch cans every 1500 miles or so and the valve cover can would have about 4 oz of oil and the PCV one about half that. With the rebuild after the same mileage I've got about an ounce in the Valve cover can and a couple of drops in the PCV can.