This is my first GN and first project car.

First off hello.....
Next, my confession......I have been a stalker on this site reading for the past year gaining knowledge on how to work on these GN's. This site has been invaluable at helping me understand my car before I start working on it. I was given a 1986 GN from my best friend for a little trade work. It has 40,000 miles on it and has sat in his garage and has not been started/ran for the past 17 years and now in my garage for the last 2 years. I started working on it this year. I replaced the fuel pump with the walboro hot wire kit ( cleaned the fuel tank out), added scan master, and started the "Spring Cleaning" list. The only thing I am concerned about is if the fuel injectors are clogged after all this time if I should remove them and send them out to be cleaned before I try to fire it for the first time? Any more suggestions on what should be done before I fire it up for the first in 19 years? ........Thank baby jesus for this web site!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome! It might not be a bad idea to pull the injectors and have them checked out. I'm no expert and I am very new to these cars too but it couldn't hurt.

You have any pictures of the car?

263024_1949513952043_4876251_n.jpg

Welcome brother... I'm new to this site but not new to grand nationals own 2 since 1997.... I would do a complete clean/ replacing all coolants and oils including fuel filter, fuel injectors and also differential fluid... take your time doing it step by step. Try doing 2-3 projects on your weekends.. the time invested in doing these steps is invaluable.... learn all you can about tuning basics and invest in a good multimeter ( fluke 88v is awesome but $$$) with a good chip, downpipe and drag radials you can easily see low 13s.... enjoy brother

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Spring cleaning FTW, I would pull those injectors out and purchase a Turbotweak chip along with some new injectors. MOST definitely. Not only because the injectors may be clogged, but also because the stock chip is marginal with todays gas at best.

That is awesome, glad you saved it from rotting away!

Looks like I have to add replace all the vacuum lines to that list......most of them are cracked.
Take your time brother..don't add to much to your list of things to do. You don't wanna get overwhelmed... like I said earlier, do 2-3 things over the weekends And then add as you go... I've seen too many guys get negative about so much work and money to build cars back up that they either sold them or just let them sit there to rot

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I did let it sit for over a year, but I was doing research the whole time on how to fix all the problems from sitting for 18 years. I did not want to just start working on it without knowing what was the proper way to fix it right. I did not want to get in a hurry and just put it to together to just drive and break it after missing something I should have done.

I guess next on my list of buy items will be a tt chip and injectors. The exhaust is completely rotted off......so I was looking at the PYPES system. Not sure what would be a good down pipe. Later down the road maybe a 5858 turbo and alky.

I have the pypes system on my car, sounds like no other. RJC 3" downpipe with the internal gate really made the exhaust note more distinct, sounds great.

I bought a GM shop manual and downloaded 600 or so pages of "how to" articles that kept me busy reading for that whole year! Now I am ready to tear into that car and hopefully have it running this spring time!

That is awesome that you are actually reading about the cars, and learning about how they work and how to fix them. I see a positive Turbobuick experience in your near future....after you swear at it 100 times and get all the gremlins out that you will be experiencing very soon. :) :D

I have the pypes system on my car, sounds like no other. RJC 3" downpipe with the internal gate really made the exhaust note more distinct, sounds great.
I have been leaning towards the RJC down pipe. RJC lives just 30 min from my house. I could just go pick it up?

I would assume yes, but I may be wrong. Wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. See if they can give you a deal on an exhaust system and the downpipe....their systems sound nice too.

That is awesome that you are actually reading about the cars, and learning about how they work and how to fix them. I see a positive Turbobuick experience in your near future....after you swear at it 100 times and get all the gremlins out that you will be experiencing very soon. :) :D
I hope by replacing all the rotten/bad parts I will avoids most of the gremlins........but I know that a lot of swearing is in my future. I will be apologizing a lot to my neighbors!

If you plan on modifying you might as well dump the injectors. If you plan ahead for future mods, one I would have on the list is a Powerlogger and wide band O2. If you want to add O2 tracking to the chip you need a minimum of 50lb injectors for a 6.0 chip. So there a decision for you already and you haven't even got it running yet.:D What was wrong with it that it got put away for 20 years? Head gaskets??

Headgaskets :( I hope not...motor may be hurt. Powerbastard probably just took a dump...that's why mine sat for 7 years before I purchased it. The original owner was going to take it to the JUNKYARD :eek: I was 14, and all I remember him telling my dad is- "Eh, $700 and its yours."

The owner heard a ticking noise on the motor ( probably just the typical header leak) and then after 5 years of it sitting in the garage with the intentions of getting the noise looked at he was afraid to start it. He thought that it would ruin the motor after sitting that long. Then 5 years turned into 20.......then I showed some interest and got a steal on it. I traded labor on a kitchen remodel to get his GN

Headgaskets :( I hope not...motor may be hurt. Powerbastard probably just took a dump...that's why mine sat for 7 years before I purchased it. The original owner was going to take it to the JUNKYARD :eek: I was 14, and all I remember him telling my dad is- "Eh, $700 and its yours."
It looks like you got a great deal on your car as well......