Think twice about going for the skinny look with Billet Specialties

Thanks for posting that.....I have 2 new 15x3.5 sitting in the garage right now !

Guess you have to stop doing those 4 ft wheelstands.:biggrin:

LOL
You would figure as popular as these wheels have gotten that their responce would be a little more "oh sh!t, we have a problem". From a manufacturing standpoint, I bet they are scrambling right about now.

Thats ****! I'm gonna give them a call and thank you for going through the trouble of sending them the link. Anybody that knows me from this forum knows the car hasn't seen the track nor will it do a 4 ft wheelstand. I've made some blast from 45 mph and that's it. Still working out the bugs. Anyway if the 3.5's can't hold up to a punch from a roll they damn sure won't take a launch. They can replace the wheel or whatever they want but as soon as a car hits a wall because of it they'll have bigger problems. I hate to say that but the truth hurts...

Our Street Lite line of wheels carry a SFI 15.1 approval, which means that this wheel has undergone testing to be sure the wheel is good for both street as well as high horsepower cars at the track.

Apparently they forgot to test these two rims:rolleyes:. I wonder how many others will experience the same carnage going down the highway? They do pride themselves as being "Street rims"...:eek:

thats why I was interested in them ..SFI rated and all that stuff .. really having second thought about using them on my Mazda/Buick

Whats to think about......:eek:

Whats to think about......:eek:

I am old.... have to die of sumthin :confused: :p I would never use the "skinny's" we drive our junk to much . I wonder if they are having problems with the wider sizes 15X8s and 10s..:frown:

Well i will add some Input here for the Gallery.

I sell these wheels and have NEVER EVER seen this happen. This is the First i heard of this, as well as the first Billet has heard of this when i contacted them at 10Am this morning. The first wheel was sent back to jegs, Which was never sent to Billet Specialties, Nor was Billet specialties Notified about the situation.

Secondly, Billet Specialties QUALITY is far from china made, The hoops are made here in the USA, as well as assembled right outside chicago. Anyone in the chicago land area that would like to see them made, Let me know i can set up a Tour from Start to Finish.

The Owner of said wheel was contacted this AM by Billet Specialties and was Nice and humble, as well as Spoke to them about the situation and it is getting handled. It can not get handled til the wheel is back in there hands.

Jason
The Billet Spot

I spoke with them this morning and it is getting handled. The wheel will be sent back monday and they are making everything good. I spoke with two men about 6 times today and I do appreciate the way its being handled. Seems so far my two rims are the only ones. When the first one broke I did send it back to Jegs to be replaced but at that time I also contacted a customer service rep at Billet Specialties and told them about it(guess it wasnt the right person). Anyway, im happy with the way everything is working right now. Ill post up when they let me know what caused this. Thanks guys if it wasnt for this forum I honestly dont think it would have played out like this.

The Owner of said wheel was contacted this AM by Billet Specialties and was Nice and humble, as well as Spoke to them about the situation and it is getting handled. It can not get handled til the wheel is back in there hands.

Jason
The Billet Spot

I wasnt all that mad about the rim breaking...I know **** happens. I was more mad about my car being down again since Ive been fighting it for the past couple of months and the weathers getting nice.

Just wanted to explain all my faces :)mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ) and whatever these things are (******).;)

Taylor when we talked on the phone the other night you said they were "cracked". You didnt say they looked like some spagetti:eek:

Good thing your car cant go fast right now with those things on the front.:D

Just kidding. I will check that next coil/ignition module for you and hopefully we will get to the bottom of the problem.

I wasnt all that mad about the rim breaking...I know **** happens. I was more mad about my car being down again since Ive been fighting it for the past couple of months and the weathers getting nice.

Just wanted to explain all my faces :)mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ) and whatever these things are (******).;)

I know your not mad, I would feel the same way. As i have said i have sold MANY (Over 200) sets of these and never experienced this problem, Nor seen this problem.

The problems arise when you deal with a vendor like Jegs that will ship out a new 1 and not contact Billet Specialties to say hey look at this we have a problem here, Which it seems they did not do. I won't get into all the other issues about other people e-mailing and adding there .10 cents and bashing a company with product they do not own.

I personally have had all types of issues with stuff, From brake calipers, to Gauges, to wheels as well, It is what we deal with in our Hobby. The biggest issue is how Billet Specialties handles the Situation from here on out.

The moment i seen this thread i emailed it to who it needed to goto so your problems can be handled correctly and in a timely manner.

Could damage like that have occurred from the tire installer letting the bead seat to aggressively? Using too much air pressure to seat the bead?

We had a customer come in with a prelude that hit a pot hole on the on ramp to the highway with low profile tires and his rim exploded (much like the picture). I would imagine it wouldn't be too fun when you don't expect that at a high rate of speed.

I am almost ready to buy them for my Mazda.. I am goin with 15X7s an 15X 10s .. that really doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either.. The one thing about the net is word gets around quick!!! I had Weld pro stars break on me.. 15X5s from what I remember .. Weld didn't do a damm thing :mad: .. keep us informed what happeneds and what they say :frown:

I recall there was a guy posting that his classic restored Chevy truck broke 2 of the Weld prostars on the front.

Here's the link: http://2loose.chevytalk.org/weldrims.html

Typical..

The old Cragars wobbled because the center spacers were not registered to the center bore.
The old spun wheels cracked like these did, because they were thin at the rolled area.

I run them and will continue to run them, Did anybody think maybe the person installing the tires on them could have damaged the rim. One of my 15x 8 rims were damaged at a local speed shop and didn't know I unloaded the tires out of my car and seen the inner rim lip bent in on a aluminum rim and the shop owner said I must have done it? Needless to say I don't use or recommend them even to air up a tire.

Steve.

BTW mine does pull the tires on my street car.