so p----------- off

Stock, 2004R
its never been touched to the best of my knowledge.

it has 43K original miles on it
motor has apprx. 200 miles on it.

Thats not your problem , the 200r4 has no vac lines to it to control any thing, works diff. The tv cable is the only thing that i no of that controls press. I hope you get that thing fixed i feel your pain thats why i have the t 350 in it now.

i'll try new plug wires , i started missing a cly on the way home today and did not wont to run. I played with the plug wires and want back to reving to 4000 ok.

Ok guys now iam getting real mad and getting ready to cover the car up for a year or two. I put other plug wires on and the same thing , dont wont to rev high and starts to knock bad. I even tryed to turn the boost down real low but when i floor it in park i get knock all the way in the red on the gauge , this starts to knock at 4000 and it knocks fast when it hits 4k. I will give it one more week then it will have to get packed away, to much stress.:(

thanks crazy for the info on the tranny. I dropped the pan tonight and will put her back on tomorrow afternoon/evening.
man I hope its not the front seal.

I wish I had something to say to help out with your situation. I know it sounds pretty cheasy but hang in there, don't give up, a solution is bound to come along.

Originally posted by crazygn
I even tryed to turn the boost down real low but when i floor it in park i get knock all the way in the red on the gauge , this starts to knock at 4000 and it knocks fast when it hits 4k.

o.k.,that's false knock.you've got something rattling around and setting off the knock sensor.there's no load on the engine in neutral,no way for it to be real knock.

lots of timing retard will make it nose over in a big way.:(

later,sean

Thanks WFO thats what i want the hear:) . The only thing that might be making noise is the valves , they have been tapping some when it gets hot. And the injectors are pretty loud. I really need to find out where to get the tee to hook up the oil press gauge, i cant find one any where.

now that you say that , it seems to run ok not much knock when cold , but after its hot it seems to get bad knock, maybe the valves or lifters. Iam running 10w40 motor oil now. What is a good wt for say 90*degs out for these cars.

even with no knock it still wont rev good 4000-4500 is hard to hit and 5000 there is no way it will do it.

what do you guys think

Have you tried another ECM? Maybe the CALPAK thingy? Possible fouled plugs or MAF are the only other two that come to mind.

no other ecm, i have tryed another coil pack and still the same thing. The plugs are about a week or two old and set at .34 . Maf works good and is pretty new its self.

I just dont get it, maybe i should try another 87 ecm.

Okay...Try this...

Pull the driver's side valve cover...With a big socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt, rotate the motor over clockwise while watching the rocker arms...The valves should all be opening up the same amount...Pay close attention to the #3 exhaust valve...(third one back from the front)...Make sure it is opening the same as all of them...If it looks like it is barely opening up, then most likely you have a wiped cam lobe...That would give you your knock that you're ecm is picking up...#3 exh is the most likely lobe to go, but check the others to be sure...As I've said, they should all look like they are moving the same amount...

That would also explain your miss, nosing over at higher rpms(due to louder knock and timing retarding), not being able to rev higher than 4k(same reason), etc...

If the driver's side looks fine, then hate to say it, but then pull the passenger side and check that side...After everything else that you have checked and done, a wiped cam seems to me like it would be the cause of all the problems...

What valves springs are you running on there now??? If it is the cam, when you replace the cam, change the valve springs out for some old, used stockers to break the cam and lifters in with...Then after you put on a few miles, change them back out for some CC979s or CC980s...

I hope you eventually get that car running right...I'm curious to see what it'll run...You've got a lot of good parts on there to give up on it...

Good Luck...

Iam going to the track tonight to watch every one run so it looks like sat i will pull the valve covers and make sure its ok. The valve springs are 90lb springs, and the cam has less then a 1000 miles on it. I never broke it in with the stock springs tho, i new nothing about it.

thanks bud

IF it is the cam, those springs should be okay to re-use after a new cam is broken in on old, weaker springs...If you don't still have your old, used stock springs, you may want to check with Mike McCoy or Bweavy and see if they have a set laying around, or post a question on the general tech section, asking someone who will be changing out their old ones for new ones if you could have the old ones...

I'm hoping(as well as you probably are too) that it isn't the cam...It's just one other thing to check to rule it out...

Good Luck!!! Hang in there...

crazy-try this just to humor me.

disconnect your knock sensor and wind it up in neutral/park.i want to see if it's knock retard causing all your problems or whether there's something else wrong too.

don't drive it,just wind it up in park and see if it acts different.

later,sean

I pulled the valve cover , the rockers are getting good oil and all move great:) good , good , good. The cam and lifters , timing chain only has maybe 1000 miles. This is crazy ive checked every thing, hey WFO let me go check that out now and i'll get right back .

Well WFO i tryed it but it revs a little better and higher to 4800 but then its like a brick wall and it starts to back fire. It seems as slow as it revs it will never hit 5000. What kind a rpm can you guys hold, i would think with the 206cam i could at less hold 5000. I really dont think that my brothers coil pack was bad, maybe i should try another. Do you think i could have got a bad spark plug.

thanks for helping. When we get it running you can all stop over and i'll treat you's to beer and dinner .:D

If it's backfiring, it's either a bad coil pack/module or the cam timing is off...Was the cam degreed in when the motor was put together, or did you just stab it in there, line up the dots on the timing chain and button 'er up???

Geez, I hope we get this figured out before we all go bald from pulling our hair out!!! :eek:

edit
Did you say that the cam was used with the old setup, so you didn't change it or have the timing chain off between the old setup and new???

Yea i ran the comp cams 206 , comp lifters and chain with the old set up . When i blow my trans i started pulling turbo intake and injectors and changed the set up. I get lined the dots up and that was it. I think iam going to call a buddy of mine and get a new coil pack and ecm to check. Is there any thing i can clean the plugs to the ecm with , they are a little on the green and white side.

for cleaning plugs to ecm you can get some stuff from an electrical store maybe even radio shack made for cleaning electrical contacts

as for the rpm thing that is crazy me dont know yet but thinkng

thanks man i'll try to get some and clean the plugs good. Every one wants to race me and is starting crap with me about my car and i cant even back it up now.

its something in this car , i just cant seem to find it, thing is it does it under boost so its hard to test it or find the problem.

i might try to use a 86-87 coilpack and try a ecm , i just cant see it being the ecm every thing seems to work and drive nice , just not reving.

ok man lets run down the list of things to check / things already checked.. just to make sure we all havent missed something

going sort of from easy to check to really hard :)

1. plugs .. youve got good ones at .34
2. plug wires .. youve got MSD's.. nuff said right?
3. coil .. ?
4. module .. ?
5. coil/module wiring harness get some of that contact cleaner stuff and go over all the connections good!
6. ecm & connections (use contact cleaner too!)
7. cam sensor .. adjusted correctly and working good?
8. knock sensor (gotta find that false knock)
9. maf sensor (going to 255?)
10. hmm check the alternator output.. i knwo when mine was bad, the car wouldnt rev very high, ESPECIALLY under boost (pop/backfire)
11. cam / valvetrain stuff?

what else guys?