should i get an GN?

FD3STT

Hey y'all. I come from import scene and i used to have a riced out honda accord and now i have a 93 RX7. The RX is great but requires to much attention and maintenance. so i was going to keep the mazda as a weekend car and get a DD but that's when i remembered i wanted a GN ever since i was a kid. Are GN's good daily driver? are they reliable? How expensive are the parts and are they easy to get?

FD3STT said:
Hey y'all. I come from import scene and i used to have a riced out honda accord and now i have a 93 RX7. The RX is great but requires to much attention and maintenance. so i was going to keep the mazda as a weekend car and get a DD but that's when i remembered i wanted a GN ever since i was a kid. Are GN's good daily driver? are they reliable? How expensive are the parts and are they easy to get?

If you're looking for something that doesn't require a good bit of attention and maintenance, then a 20 year old Turbo Regal/GN is definately NOT the car you'll want. Harsh reality, but true.

TurboDave said:
If you're looking for something that doesn't require a good bit of attention and maintenance, then a 20 year old Turbo Regal/GN is definately NOT the car you'll want. Harsh reality, but true.

Yeah true. i guess i'll have to wait. Thanks tho

I have to agree with TurboDave, I do drive my car daily (65+ miles) all summer but I have been around these cars for 16 years and know the trouble spots.

They are great cars but they need to be looked after. At 20 years old many components should be replaced - even if it is a low mileage car.

I would look to a newer Mustang, Camaro, GTO, Hemi for a daily driver.

Yes, of course! I think you're asking a fairly biased crowd here on the board. ;)

Seriously, my stepfather bought my GN brand new in 1987 and drove it as a daily driver for almost 10 years before garaging it, including good ol' new england winters :eek:

He gave me the car for my first car (i'm now 19) and i've used it as a daily driver ever since. In my opinion, they're great. Decent gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out of it and they can lay down some serious attitude on the street. Most importantly though, it doesn't take much $ to get them to be nasty street machines while keeping great street manners. For example, last week i took a ride in a friend's low 10 sec silver t-type and it honestly did not drive much different from my bolt-on GN, besides the 3200 stall converter. Use the search feature on this board and consult gnttype.org and you'll find that these are some pretty wild cars.

HTH

Yes there are going to be issues with an older car.... Only older mid 30s women like these cars. Because they were new at the time. Younger women think these cars are uncool..

FD3STT said:
-------------------------
Almost sounds like the GN will play second fiddle to a what, a Mazda?
use the Gn as a weekend car and use the Mazda as a daily transportation car of don't get a GN. FWIW, I have a '02 Z06 and it plays second fiddle as a daily driver to my turboBuick, and I would not have it any other way.

It would be nice to find one that was well maintaned and is reliable. But it's probably not going to happen. Allot of the really low milage ones are proably going to need work from sitting, and most of the others have been ridden hard and put away wet at some point in there lives. The bottom line is they're ~20 years old. Of course, money can fix allot so if you have it to spend........

On another note, why would you drive the slow car on the weekend? :confused:

Use the GN as a weekend car and swap the rotary engine in the rx-7 for an ls1 and use that as a daily driver!! thats what I would do :D

yeah, turbo buicks may not be the most reliable cars on the road today after all these years, but they are a hell of a lot more reliable than the TT FDs!! those guys have to change out their motors like batteries! it seems that the buicks can be quicker for less money, too. that being said, i'm sure not going to use mine for the DD. that job goes either to my POS honda or my 98 regal GS (which is not a bad dd at all -- its supercharged and quick, yet very comfy). its also very true that, like spooln said, the ladies don't react to a buick quite like they would a sexy little rx7!

Wow! My brother drives mine everyday! Thats why I bought it, to drive! Just needs normal maintenance. Had to replace a heater core and brakes. Normal stuff. As for the younger girls thinking they are not cool, I'll take the mid 30's ladies any day! More experience, if you know what I mean :p . I had a 1970 GTO that I tried to drive daily, what a nightmare. I spent more time under the hood than driving it. Yea our cars are getting older and some things will be needing to be changed, but there is nothing like cruising around catching the looks and occansionaly beating the crap out of most street cars.

ur BROTHER drives YOUR gn everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused:
to h&ll with that! tell him to get his own :biggrin:

seriously, its all by choice, if i had to choose between my 87 gn and my 72 bbb skylark......................................................................................

the winner would be the......................................skylark!

reason #1.....people are affraid of it, they get out of the way

reason #2......its loud! 3" duals w/ dual cutouts :biggrin:

reason #3.....my girlfriend cant drive it :D :D , it doesnt stop are turn very well :D :D (but i wont let her drive the gn either so its a good life)

reason #4..... it gets better gas mileage.............o wait thats wrong :eek:

reason #5..... i feel safer in it, yummy yummy steel

reason #6...... i like it better, my first car that i purchased by myself

reason #7..... if anyone got this far then i ran outta reasons

just my $ .02, its all up to what you want to do, your going to get a mixed reaction from any 2 people you talk to.

buickbert

ur BROTHER drives YOUR gn everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused:
to h&ll with that! tell him to get his own :biggrin:

seriously, its all by choice, if i had to choose between my 87 gn and my 72 bbb skylark......................................................................................

the winner would be the......................................skylark!

reason #1.....people are affraid of it, they get out of the way

reason #2......its loud! 3" duals w/ dual cutouts :biggrin:

reason #3.....my girlfriend cant drive it :D :D , it doesnt stop are turn very well :D :D (but i wont let her drive the gn either so its a good life)

reason #4..... it gets better gas mileage.............o wait thats wrong :eek:

reason #5..... i feel safer in it, yummy yummy steel

reason #6...... i like it better, my first car that i purchased by myself

reason #7..... if anyone got this far then i ran outta reasons

just my $ .02, its all up to what you want to do, your going to get a mixed reaction from any 2 people you talk to.

buickbert

Wish I could drive it but I live in Germany right now and he drives it about 5-10 miles a day. Better than setting on the street. He is building his 64 Chevelle right now.

Wells said:
-------------------------
Almost sounds like the GN will play second fiddle to a what, a Mazda?
use the Gn as a weekend car and use the Mazda as a daily transportation car of don't get a GN. FWIW, I have a '02 Z06 and it plays second fiddle as a daily driver to my turboBuick, and I would not have it any other way.
---------------------------
When I originally posted this, it was not through any reliability issues/concerns that I posted. Only I would never see a turbo Buick play 2nd fiddle to anything. My previous turbo Buick limited was bought for the sole purpose of being a daily driver, and it served that purpose great. About 6 years, daily driver, only let me down once. I consider these cars exceptionally reliable. Virtually impossible to keep a daily driver clean, though, and it breaks my heart to see a dirty turbo Buick.

chrisgarrett said:
That didn't take much convincing.

His first sentence says it all:

"Hey y'all. I come from import scene and i used to have a riced out honda accord."

Might have mistaken this site for the Monte Carlo site. :biggrin: