Sally's GN build

Where did you find the PCV valve I still can't find mine.
There is a hose coming up from a grommet in the flat bottom of your intake, between the runners on your passenger side. It goes to the metal tubing that leads to your throttle body. The metal 'nipple' at the bottom of that hose is the PCV.

Anyone want to help me spend money?

NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVETRAIN OR BRAKES OR SUSPENSION

I bought new seats for the front and having them made to match the rears. What else can I do to update the car?

I got bored and started to search more but haven't found much and before I spend the money to have to make all custom stuff I wanted to know if there was anything out there.

Does anyone make a better door panel?
Side mirrors?
HID kit for the headlights?
I have like 8k for the month and just wanting to update stuff.

I bought new seats for the front and having them made to match the rears. What else can I do to update the car?

I got bored and started to search more but haven't found much and before I spend the money to have to make all custom stuff I wanted to know if there was anything out there.

Side mirrors?
I did some customizing in my interior. I had a local upholsterer do it. I did the removal and re-install. Take a look. Then also, there is a bunch of other do-dads.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    638.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    853.1 KB · Views: 195

Side mirrors?
I hit the button too soon. Here is
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
a few more.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 181
I shaved the side view mirrors and use a panoramic mirror inside. I need a backup camera to help backing off trailers and getting into garages n stuff though.

I shaved the side view mirrors and use a panoramic mirror inside. I need a backup camera to help backing off trailers and getting into garages n stuff though.
I love the look. But, I'm absolutely certain I would get a ticket.

Would you believe my brother had an old Jeep once, and on a hot summer day, he had the windshield folded down, the top off, and the doors off it. Of all things, he gets a ticket for NO SIDE VIEW MIRRORS!He laughed and said the mirrors are on the doors. The cop didn't care and gave him the ticket anyway. He had to buy those cheesy little ones that go at the hinge location.

Meanwhile.......I drive around in my Twin Turbo Technological Terror and no one bothers me. Go figure.:cool:

So what can these motor hold stock? We put it on the dyno and keep upping the boost, I switched to E85 and we didn't run out of fuel. Keep finding leaks so took it off and I'm fixing that all now. But we were up to over 600hp to the wheels and had no problems with the motor.
The stock block is rated 500-525hp. It is reported the center ribbing cracks first.

Side mirrors?
You didn't state whether or not you intend to stay "stock appearing", limited custom as in your "signature preferences" or total "one-off" custom.
New comfortable seats would be a great addition if you intend to spend any driving time in the vehicle. To appear stock, you can use the Highwaystars' upgraded material, which has a sheen to the material and gives a very nice stock appearing look. They also sell the matching door panels as well. If weight is a concern, you may have to balance your choice of seating, carpetting and upholstery w/your weight savings.
For mirrors, some have added corvette mirrors in place of the stock style. Don't know if the mirrors are motorized or not. Although I would prefer the motorized version, But I'm weight conscious.
TRcustoms offers some nice interior dress-up items as well, for the dash, console, etc.

You didn't state whether or not you intend to stay "stock appearing", limited custom as in your "signature preferences" or total "one-off" custom.
New comfortable seats would be a great addition if you intend to spend any driving time in the vehicle. To appear stock, you can use the Highwaystars' upgraded material, which has a sheen to the material and gives a very nice stock appearing look. They also sell the matching door panels as well. If weight is a concern, you may have to balance your choice of seating, carpetting and upholstery w/your weight savings.
For mirrors, some have added corvette mirrors in place of the stock style. Don't know if the mirrors are motorized or not. Although I would prefer the motorized version, But I'm weight conscious.
TRcustoms offers some nice interior dress-up items as well, for the dash, console, etc.

I would say my taste is for the stock look but not stock parts, if you can understand that. I'm not looking to make the car look like a race car, just update the old style stuff.

Well, I kinda couldn't avoid the cage, the shifter, the gauges, and so on. But my intent was to keep it somewhat period correct.
But for what you wan't to do....I have some ideas.

Go with a GNX style instrument cluster. Choose modern LED back-lit style gauges. Replace your existing interior lighting with bright new LED's. Have your seats done with a sporty double stitch in a contrasting color at all the seams instead of the factory 80's style piping. Get a modern type shifter like the B&M hammer. Go with an ultra-suede fabric on the seats (soft, not to plush, comfortable, durable). Modern rear view mirror with map lights and possibly the temp and compass stuff. Black-out all your interior chrome.......better yet, replace it with brushed billet stuff from the Rod and Custom world of vendors. New sound system. Find tasteful billet foot pedals. Upholster you upper door and opera panels in a different pattern. Take your console out and replace with a modern type (with cup holders) that doesn't fight to much with the style of your dashboard. Put the E-brake on the console. Change the color of the dash and the rest of the vinyl to satin black.

Be careful. This stuff can start to get tacky quickly. You don't want it to start looking like a Fast and Furious prop car. Remember, the outside of the car screams 80's! This isn't a bad thing though. IMHO, nothing from that era (or any era) even comes close to being as beautiful. But that's just me. I'm a Buick snob.
IMG_0145.JPG

Well, I kinda couldn't avoid the cage, the shifter, the gauges, and so on. But my intent was to keep it somewhat period correct.
But for what you wan't to do....I have some ideas.

Go with a GNX style instrument cluster. Choose modern LED back-lit style gauges. Replace your existing interior lighting with bright new LED's. Have your seats done with a sporty double stitch in a contrasting color at all the seams instead of the factory 80's style piping. Get a modern type shifter like the B&M hammer. Go with an ultra-suede fabric on the seats (soft, not to plush, comfortable, durable). Modern rear view mirror with map lights and possibly the temp and compass stuff. Black-out all your interior chrome.......better yet, replace it with brushed billet stuff from the Rod and Custom world of vendors. New sound system. Find tasteful billet foot pedals. Upholster you upper door and opera panels in a different pattern. Take your console out and replace with a modern type (with cup holders) that doesn't fight to much with the style of your dashboard. Put the E-brake on the console. Change the color of the dash and the rest of the vinyl to satin black.

Be careful. This stuff can start to get tacky quickly. You don't want it to start looking like a Fast and Furious prop car. Remember, the outside of the car screams 80's! This isn't a bad thing though. IMHO, nothing from that era (or any era) even comes close to being as beautiful. But that's just me. I'm a Buick snob. View attachment 262309

Joey, if I remember right you have billet foot pedals. Where did you get them? Thanks, Ray

Joey, if I remember right you have billet foot pedals. Where did you get them? Thanks, Ray

I should keep it a secret for fear of ridicule from my Buick family.

But, I'll share. I actually got them in the ghetto isle at Autozone! Yes. you read correct. The ghetto ricer isle at Autozone!:eek:

Sometimes I look at the chrome naked lady emblems and stick-on make-believe fender ports. I just laugh, shake my head and wonder why:wtf:. One day I saw a couple of baggy pants suburban white ghetto make believe wannabees looking at pedals in the isle. One kid was holding them in his hand and the other said "no, get these instead. These are better because they're bright red with diamond cuts!" So he through them down and got those instead. I picked them up and looked at them. I figured they wouldn't be so bad on the Buick. So I got them.

I had to modify them of course. My own clips and hardware. Also I blacked out the cheesy logo and placed black fabric behind them so you can't see the stock pad behind them. Friggin' China crap. But now I sorta like them.
image-jpg.244083
image-jpg.244085

I should keep it a secret for fear of ridicule from my Buick family.

But, I'll share. I actually got them in the ghetto isle at Autozone! Yes. you read correct. The ghetto ricer isle at Autozone!:eek:

Sometimes I look at the chrome naked lady emblems and stick-on make-believe fender ports. I just laugh, shake my head and wonder why:wtf:. One day I saw a couple of baggy pants suburban white ghetto make believe wannabees looking at pedals in the isle. One kid was holding them in his hand and the other said "no, get these instead. These are better because they're bright red with diamond cuts!" So he through them down and got those instead. I picked them up and looked at them. I figured they wouldn't be so bad on the Buick. So I got them.

I had to modify them of course. My own clips and hardware. Also I blacked out the cheesy logo and placed black fabric behind them so you can't see the stock pad behind them. Friggin' China crap. But now I sorta like them.
image-jpg.244083
image-jpg.244085

That's cool Joey. Anything that looks good I'm ok with. And you have one more cool Car

Are you familiar with the Lear Siegler Seats that came available in the 84 GN ?
They were leather and look awesome in person .
They are pretty rare these days and a mint set (of front and rears would be very hard to find),a better option would be to find an old set of them and have them reupholstered (i didn't look around but they may have covers available for them)or you could have an upholsterer make you some covers and if desired ,switch the colors like in the pic in the second link (below)to look more like the original 87 color scheme(grey on the center and black on the outside).
They have a custom look and shape to them (and of course are leather and fit perfectly in the 87 )with the upper part also having some adjustability to them,and with the colors switched like in that one picture they would fit right in with the 87 color scheme.
I would think most upholsterers could do this for you and do the back seat to match.
You could sell your original seats and they should pay for a good chunk of the whole switch and reupholstery job,or you could just have the Seiglers done and keep the originals for future use or to put them back in down the road when you sell the car,and at that point you could get most of your money back by selling the Seiglers.
Another easier option would be just to buy the covers in the ist link below and have them installed on your current seats, but i think the Seigler seats would really be a standout mod without getting too far from original,and if you didn't want leather you could probably have the same thing done in the factory 87 cloth type materials.

Food for thought !!!!!!! ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lear+siegler+grand+national+seats&biw=1247&bih=707&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCPbW8ceZ88cCFcWPgAod0PgC_Q#imgrc=o9Jue6EZE7F-AM:

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the Lear Siegler Seats that came available in the 84 GN ?
They were leather and look awesome in person .
They are pretty rare these days and a mint set (of front and rears would be very hard to find),a better option would be to find an old set of them and have them reupholstered (i didn't look around but they may have covers available for them)or you could have an upholsterer make you some covers and if desired ,switch the colors like in the pic in the second link to look more like the original 87 color scheme(grey on the center and black on the outside).
They have a custom look and shape to them (and of course are leather and fit perfectly in the 87 )with the upper part also having some adjustability to them,and with the colors switched like in that one picture they would fit right in with the 87 color scheme.
I would think most upholsterers could do this for you and do the back seat to match.
You could sell your original seats and they should pay for a good chunk of the whole switch and reupholstery job,or you could just have the Seiglers done and keep the originals for future use or to put them back in down the road when you sell the car,and at that point you could get most of your money back by selling the Seiglers.
Another easier option would be just to buy the covers in the ist link below and have them installed on your current seats, but i think the Seigler seats would really be a standout mod without getting too far from original,and if you didn't want leather you could probably have the same thing done in the factory 87 cloth type materials.

Food for thought !!!!!!! ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lear+siegler+grand+national+seats&biw=1247&bih=707&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCPbW8ceZ88cCFcWPgAod0PgC_Q#imgrc=o9Jue6EZE7F-AM:
Did you notice that my seats were Lear Siegler?

Did you notice that my seats were Lear Siegler?

I didn't, but now that you point it out,they do look great in the 87 style cloth material.
I was thinking they would look good in that material but with the grey center and black outer sections like the original 87 seats,but now that i see them in all black with the grey piping,that looks excellent too, especially since you did the upper door palels in black to match.
Did you do the rear seat all black to match also ?

I think if the door panels were to be left in the original grey, it might look better with the grey seat centers.
But either way they do look excellent.