Rice Education!

Just checked back for the first time since I wrote the NOS comment. About HKS and TRD, no you say their letters, that's the difference between an abbreviation and an acronym. How many of you say N...A....S.....A instead of NASA or N.O.R.A.D instead of NORAD.

Anyway, I agree with the idea that people who follow trends and movies are trying to fit in with what their perception of cool is instead of just being themselves. Those people are shallow. Ricers, therefore, are shallow. But, owning an import alone does not a ricer make. It's all about the attitude of trying to be cool instead of modifying your car for your own interest or teh intrisic value that you get.

BTW, I really enjoyed reading this and I think it has a lot of merit:

Originally posted by turbojimmy

My interests were roused in cars because my dad has always had a couple of Vettes around to tinker with. Fast cars, and tweaked them to make them faster. I've never had any desire to own anything that didn't start out at least a little fast - even for commuting purposes (hence the Typhoon as a daily driver). That rule of thumb eliminates every import from my list of suitable transportation given a budget, though the DSMs have piqued my interest. My first car was a '67 LeMans with a 326/2-speed. Not fast - but the platform easily accepted a 400 and 400 trans, which I quickly dropped in it.

I think it's great that kids have an interest in cars - any cars. If you think about it, they don't really have a lot to work with nowadays. On a high-school kid's budget, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an older (5-10 yrs old) domestic with a decent aftermarket. Exceptions are Mustangs and F-bodies, but lots of kids get their parents' hand-me-downs, which unfortunately is often an import. I really think that's what started this whole thing - kids with mom & dad's old Civic looking for ways to take an otherwise mundane car and make it unique.

Regardless of what we think about them, they're here to stay. At least it keeps 'em busy. My neighbor's kid is always under his bookshelf-winged, fart-mufflered Jetta. I think that's cool...

Your own interest in cars originally came from an interest in modifying them. That's pretty cool; my father did that a long time ago, but all the cars he had while I was around were stock. They were all fast cars too: 1 mustang and 3 vettes. I think, though, that the majority of people are like me in that their interests came from knowing nothing of modification and only interested in sports cars. Plus, as much bull**** as is spread nowadays about the potential of imports it would be easy for a beginner to be ignorant of the sports car he chooses.

Also, I think your analysis of teenager's choices in cars due to financial reasons is dead on, and would like to add one thought: Parents also play a large part in the decision making of a teenager's first car. It seems reasonable that a parent would want a kid to have an economy car with good reliability, safety, and decent handling and little HP.

Thanks for the good reading,

Chris

Originally posted by FastDriver

I think, though, that the majority of people are like me in that their interests came from knowing nothing of modification and only interested in sports cars.

Yet you still wound up with what is arguably one of the most easily modified "sports" cars. Coincidence :)?

Also, I think your analysis of teenager's choices in cars due to financial reasons is dead on, and would like to add one thought: Parents also play a large part in the decision making of a teenager's first car. It seems reasonable that a parent would want a kid to have an economy car with good reliability, safety, and decent handling and little HP.

All true, too. Glad you thought it made sense. I think *sometimes* - like with all stereotypes - the "ricers" get some undeserved crap. But, like most stereotypes the shoe does fit most of the time.

They just need to stay the hell out of my way and we'll all get along :)

Jim

Chris

Originally posted by FastDriver
Just checked back for the first time since I wrote the NOS comment. About HKS and TRD, no you say their letters, that's the difference between an abbreviation and an acronym. How many of you say N...A....S.....A instead of NASA or N.O.R.A.D instead of NORAD.

Anyway, I agree with the idea that people who follow trends and movies are trying to fit in with what their perception of cool is instead of just being themselves. Those people are shallow. Ricers, therefore, are shallow. But, owning an import alone does not a ricer make. It's all about the attitude of trying to be cool instead of modifying your car for your own interest or teh intrisic value that you get.

BTW, I really enjoyed reading this and I think it has a lot of merit:

Your own interest in cars originally came from an interest in modifying them. That's pretty cool; my father did that a long time ago, but all the cars he had while I was around were stock. They were all fast cars too: 1 mustang and 3 vettes. I think, though, that the majority of people are like me in that their interests came from knowing nothing of modification and only interested in sports cars. Plus, as much bull**** as is spread nowadays about the potential of imports it would be easy for a beginner to be ignorant of the sports car he chooses.

Chris

NOSSS!!!!

Didnt NAS (the rapper) just come out with a new record?

Hehe...

Hey Fellas -
First off I'm a DSM guy and own a 93 GSX, automatic. I have alot of respect for GN's and I just felt like checking out your message boards. I think our cars are very similar in many respects, and we can defenitely learn from each other. However, I wouldn't advise you guys to read dsmtalk.com much. Most of the people there are younger and don't really know much but like to pretend they do (not nearly as much as honda boards though). The real DSM guys are the ones from dsm.org, which started way back in the 90's. Unfortunately they dont' have a nice message interface like this one and dsmtalk. I'd just like to ask a few questions..

GrndNtnl - Why do you hate imports so much? I've always believed that a good car is a good car. Sure there are a bunch of riced out civics that I hate as much as you, but not every import is like that. I wish you would have a more open mind about things, as you sound intelligent. All cars have different strengths and weaknesses.. I like DSM's because they can be made fast, they are reliable and get good gas mileage, and the AWD is great for winter and rain, and launching. I know you hate ricers, but not every import is not a ricer, and there are some good imports, whether you personally like them or not.

On another note, I checked out this board because I have an automatic also so I am not the typical DSMer. I'm also into water injection which the typical DSMer doesn't use. My main problem is getting off the line because powerbraking takes a long time for me to build boost. How do you guys launch your big turbos with the AT tranny?

Once again, no hard feelings.. i'm just a fan and I want to learn as much as I can about all cars.

Originally posted by FastGSXauto
My main problem is getting off the line because powerbraking takes a long time for me to build boost. How do you guys launch your big turbos with the AT tranny?
Sounds like you need a higher stall converter.

I'm also into water injection which the typical DSMer doesn't use.

Another thing, most of use use straight denatured alcohol. You get the benefits of the cooling affect and the octane boost.

Ryan

So do most of you guys get higher stall converters? I was going to go that route, but it's a little expensive... I'm currently using straight windshield washer fluid - it's got a mix of water and alcohol. How does denatured alcohol give an octane boost?

Originally posted by FastGSXauto
So do most of you guys get higher stall converters? I was going to go that route, but it's a little expensive... I'm currently using straight windshield washer fluid - it's got a mix of water and alcohol. How does denatured alcohol give an octane boost?

It depends on the turbo. For us the stock converter is good for stock through a TE44/TA49. For larger turbos most will say you need a bigger stall for turbos any bigger on our cars. As for denatured being an octane boost, the reason I said that is because it is a combustible. In fact, it says right on the can that it is a clean burning fuel for marine stoves.

Ryan

Did GNs or Regal turbos have a manual tranny available or were they all automatics?

I was first brought to this board in search of Alcohol injection info. Some GN guy from the MR2 message board sent me here. I was suprised at how many ppl used alky on turbo buicks!

Joel

Joel

All TRs/TTAs came with autos. They've tried mannual trannies with these motors, but they don't work to well because these motors seem to make all the power at lower rpms with the party ending at about 5200rpm. BTW, I have an SMC alky kit on my GN and I love it cause I can run 22lbs of boost on 93 octane pump gas with no detonation. If u liked to learn more about our cars I would suggest u check out gnttype.org.

Later, Steve:)

Thanks guys for the replies!

86brick - Thanks for the link. I'll check it out at school tomorrow. I just got home from work and school so i'm pretty tired. When I take my car to the dyno, I plan to push 300RWHP on about 18psi boost. If it won't do it with that, I may put an alcohol kit on it and shoot for 20PSI. But thats pushin it on the stock head gasket. I have ran 16PSI for a while with no problems. 300RWHP may not sound like a lot, but when combined with the mere 2500lb curb weight of my car, it makes for easy mid 12 second time slips.

Joel