Rice Education!

I am 17 and I must say, it is my generation that is the automotive iliterate,(i think i spelled that wrong?). I shudder every time I hear someone refer to NO2 as NOSSSS. I ask them, what the **** is Nosss. they say Nitrous. I say, why do you call it Nossss? they say "Because it says nosss on nitrous bottles. I try to explain to them that 1. NOS is a brand, one of many that make Nitrous oxide systems for cars and 2. A ****IN ABREVIATION, NOS is Nitrous Oxide Systems. Then they say calm down, I shake my head and walk away.

Why should people get upset when someone refers to nitrous as NOS? I think it's getting a bit carried away. If someone says NOS and you know what it means then why ridicule them?

Most people, unless they love cars, who want to make there cars fast are ignorant compared to the average car enthusiast. So what, just let them go.

As far as the Fast and the Furious making sports cars more popular, I think that it is a very positive thing, even if imports recieve the majority of attention. Those who really do start to enjoy cars will become as interested in their imports, or whatever car they choose, as most enthusiasts are in theirs. They will learn what it takes to make their car fast. Surely, my interest in mustangs peaked before I knew how to modify them. Similarly, guys who find their interest in imports often do not know that about modding or the difficulty of modding an import car as opposed to a domestic. They choose the car first because they think it is cool or fun to drive. Is this not how your interests were roused in cars?

Chris

Originally posted by FastDriver

As far as the Fast and the Furious making sports cars more popular, I think that it is a very positive thing, even if imports recieve the majority of attention. Those who really do start to enjoy cars will become as interested in their imports, or whatever car they choose, as most enthusiasts are in theirs. They will learn what it takes to make their car fast. Surely, my interest in mustangs peaked before I knew how to modify them. Similarly, guys who find their interest in imports often do not know that about modding or the difficulty of modding an import car as opposed to a domestic. They choose the car first because they think it is cool or fun to drive. Is this not how your interests were roused in cars?

Chris

I sort of agree, but a few things you said pain me deeply.

First, F&F isn't making "sports cars more popular". That's the single most irritating thing about this "ricer" thing. They are NOT sports cars. They're using bottom-of-the-line Civics and such. A handful of people have the cash to either start with a decent platform (Supra, DSMs, 300Z) or actually make the Civics and the like fast and/or look good. The rest are just plain annoying and ugly (in my opinion, anyway, "ugly" is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder).

Second, I don't think people getting into the import thing are particularly concerned with speed and therefore aren't concerned with the difficulty of making them fast. They're all about appearance (again, there are exceptions, but I find this to generally be the case). They have entirely different motives than we do - which is why there is such animosity. It's a cult thing, gang thing, whatever.

My interests were roused in cars because my dad has always had a couple of Vettes around to tinker with. Fast cars, and tweaked them to make them faster. I've never had any desire to own anything that didn't start out at least a little fast - even for commuting purposes (hence the Typhoon as a daily driver). That rule of thumb eliminates every import from my list of suitable transportation given a budget, though the DSMs have piqued my interest. My first car was a '67 LeMans with a 326/2-speed. Not fast - but the platform easily accepted a 400 and 400 trans, which I quickly dropped in it.

I think it's great that kids have an interest in cars - any cars. If you think about it, they don't really have a lot to work with nowadays. On a high-school kid's budget, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an older (5-10 yrs old) domestic with a decent aftermarket. Exceptions are Mustangs and F-bodies, but lots of kids get their parents' hand-me-downs, which unfortunately is often an import. I really think that's what started this whole thing - kids with mom & dad's old Civic looking for ways to take an otherwise mundane car and make it unique.

Regardless of what we think about them, they're here to stay. At least it keeps 'em busy. My neighbor's kid is always under his bookshelf-winged, fart-mufflered Jetta. I think that's cool...

Jim

Yup..

Turbojimmy.. I couldn't agree more. Thats why I've always chosen the domestic muscle. Imports just aren't my thing, unless they were built for performance, like the ones you stated [Supra, DSM, etc..]. Those I respect. If I owned a Honda Civic, sure I'd drive it. DAILY. They're nice, reliable daily drivers... Not race cars. They are built to *last long*, NOT for speed and horsepower. But as I said, I prefer American Muscle.

I, personally think GN's are beautiful. Dispite of what some others may think, that they're ugly, too boxy, blah blah.. whatever, thats their opinion. I think they look badass. They look like a *muscle* car. I even know WOMEN that think they look good. (Rare and unusual since they usually prefer round, curvey, girly imports and sports cars..) And I think most of these silly imports with all the graphics and stickers are ugly as sin, so as far as looks goes, it's all in opinion. However: You can make NO mistake about speed. I like performance, period. And in my opinion, domestic muscle, be it old-tech, or modern like turbo Buicks.. to me, not only look good, but perform quite well.

I think the feeling of a turbo spooling up and 15 + psi of boost kicking me in the ass is much more fun then riding around in a 4-banger popping 8000 rpm and sounding like my gas weed-wacker before it even hits 2nd gear. Anyone else agree?

Re: Yup..

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
I think the feeling of a turbo spooling up and 15 + psi of boost kicking me in the ass is much more fun then riding around in a 4-banger popping 8000 rpm and sounding like my gas weed-wacker before it even hits 2nd gear. Anyone else agree?

True, true.

turbojimmy: I'm one of those high school kids (18, I'm a senior). ;) I've built 2 El Caminos so far and once I get this one sold I'm coming to the dark side (hopefully soon :mad: ). All the rice boys at my school come up to me and say they're going to beat my car. I just laugh at them, it's not even worth my breath to talk to them. They're all about looking like a 'badass street racer' because they think it will somehow make them cool.

The rice and the ridiculous was one big joke. It had a terrible plot, and terrible acting.

As for the "nahs" comment: I correct people because I don't enjoy hearing stupid people talk. It's a shame when there are people that ignorant in a country like ours. :rolleyes:

So who wants to buy my car so I can come to the dark side? :D Theres a TE60 sitting somewhere with my name on it! :)

Sorry guys, but I have refered to Nitrous as NAWS since I was still chittin green. I grew up in a small town and hung out at the car repair/race shops. Everybody called it naaws, I think because NOS was the only big name at that time. I've been calling it "nawws" for over 20 years and and I'm not going to change. Do people yell at you and call you dumb when you ask for a klenex? It's a damn nasal tissue!!!! What do I call it? Klenex. I hear where your comming from and understand the frustration with people who are ignorant in terms of nitrous, but if someone starts to give me a lecture after I say naws, I'll just say "up yours I'll call it whatever I want!!" :)

mmmmkay!

You can usually tell when someone knows their **** or not. When someone who has a brain calls it 'nahs' I have no problem, but it still sounds dumb to me. That means I should be calling HKS 'hicks' and TRD 'turd'... :D

Hey, I call TRD turd, and I am a reformed hick, so take that for what its worth. :D Oh, and I only have a few brain cells left, so that may be my problem!

How often do you come up to hickory because thats where i live and i would love to race you sometime but not on 70 because thats cop city.

87 Grand National,T-62, Houston D-pipe, 42.5 injectors,and many more.

That was a lot of stuff to read. Some things I thought of when reading the replies...

first, I hope that the guy in the story isn't in Club DSM.

Second, someone said something about not even thinking about racing a TR if he had a Talon. Why not? I'll race anything in my daily driver. The reason being, doesn't it get you pumped up when you see a nice car that you admire? I know it gets me pumped up when I pull up to something like a WS6, C5 or TR (if I ever see one). I'll stare at it and give a smirk of respect as to say, "niiiice ride." If the driver decides to take off why not try to hang with him and see what your car can do and more importantly what his car can do? It's all in good fun. If he doesn't, it's not like I'm not going to stay beside him and match his speed while reving my engine to piss him off and irritate him to finally go. I'm not stupid and disrespectful like that. The difference between me and the guy in the story is that if we do race and get to talking afterward, I'm not going to start saying dumb sh*t like "yeah maaaaan, you only beat me because of your twin-turbocharged naws-guzzling V8." I'm not stupid. I'll ask the person what they've done to their car, complement them on it and tell them how much I like it, and also mention my GN.

Third, not everyone that drives an import is a ricer. There are a**hole drivers in all types of cars. If you see some little punk in a Stang saying the same stuff the kid in the story did, does that make all Stang owners idiots? Now I know you all want to answer yes :p but the answer is "no." Not necessarily.

And finally, I think ragging on people for saying naws instead of nitrous oxide is getting kind of old. It never was an issue before that stupid movie came out, so why should it be now? I know it is kind of annoying to see kids trying to copy the guy in the movie by saying naws, but so be it. If they want to be stupid let them be stupid.

...got tons more to say, but this post is getting too long.

Steve

WOW! I just checked my email for the first time in a long time. I didn't figure this topic would come back up! Anyhow, The NAWS comment, I can kind of understand if someone that doesn't know the products very well and might be new to the sport, but other than that it sounds ignorant. The whole reason I put this post up was that every time he opened his mouth something bizzare came out and he was not willing to accept what I was telling him. That and I found it funny that he was into turbo cars, but had no idea what my GN was! At 23 I'm not old, but am amazed at how much people miss sometimes.

I have to honestly say that I had never heard of the term "naws" until I saw that movie, and I have to honestly say that it's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I have an alcohol kit and if someone came up and said, " how much 'naws' do you run?" I think I would puke first, then rub their head in it. I know all import people are not like that, but I wish the smarter ones would educate the rest.

Donnie

Re: Yup..

Originally posted by GrndNatnl

I, personally think GN's are beautiful. Dispite of what some others may think, that they're ugly, too boxy, blah blah.. whatever, thats their opinion. I think they look badass. They look like a *muscle* car. I even know WOMEN that think they look good. (Rare and unusual since they usually prefer round, curvey, girly imports and sports cars..) And I think most of these silly imports with all the graphics and stickers are ugly as sin, so as far as looks goes, it's all in opinion. However: You can make NO mistake about speed. I like performance, period. And in my opinion, domestic muscle, be it old-tech, or modern like turbo Buicks.. to me, not only look good, but perform quite well.

Well said..........VERY WELL SAID!!!!
:D

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Should I put NAAAWS on my eagle talon TSI? ;)

Hey, come on :p
That one was a non-turbo btw. Basically a jacked-up Neon with horrific graphics and body kit.

I own a Toyota MR2 Turbo and i'm only 17. I too hate the "riceboy" scene. When I got into town, I hang out with the domestic guys. Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, and all the old muscle cars. My car is the only import that they respect down there cause I actually put my money into making it faster instead of slower. All the other imports are Honda Civics that sit 1" off the ground and have neon lights at the ass. This disgusts me! All those stickers and **** on the fenders. Looks gay and it gives imports a bad name when there are actually fast ones that have good racing qualities such as the Supra, MR2, 300ZX, RX7, VR4, TSi Talon, and WRX. My car only has one sticker on it (www.MR2POWER.net) Its the place I get most of my go-fast goodies.

When I go race my car, I hardly lose a race, even with the domestics. I lost to a 2000 SS Camaro 6spd with exhaust while I was bone stock except for intake. We always talk about racing again but he's back down in college now but he's comin up again soon. We're gonna get it on video and stuff.

Theres actually room for respect for my car since I'm not a ricer and have a big fart tip exhaust that will bust your eardrums. Believe it or not, there are actually some imports that can win races against V8s and GN type cars! I beat a C5 Indy Pace car. But it was an automatic convertible model. Although that was before my upgraded turbo, intercooler, and downpipe, I feel I could take a C5 6spd hardtop now. My car should be in the mid to high 12s the way it is now.

BTW- as you guys are talking about nitrous, I always called NOS systems N. O. S. and nitrous in general, i called it nitrous. Ever since F&F, everyone calls it NAHHSS.

Dont hate us all
Joel