Replacing my head gasket for the first time.

yeah you can get the pan off in the car. Pain in the ass but yes. If I had my hoist at home I'd drop it off. So much easier out of the car.

OK...OK...!

I will drop the pan. But I can't pull the engine, because I don't have a engine hoist. Otherwise I would totally pull it! Hell, I've dropped my transmission 4 times this last year....so I know exactly were and how to get to those bolts.

Will I be able to drop the oil pan without pulling the engine?

Thanks again

Yea...
You may need to rotate the crank a little.

You can borrow my engine stand if you'd like. Let me know. I leave for a week at Bonneville Thursday AM.

Quit saying Bonneville. It reminds me how I wont be finishing an sbc I'm working on, this coming weekend at the machine shop because the old man will be out there with the rest of you loons :eek::Do_O

Last edited:
Oil pan gasket;

...cork material (offered through Kirban Performance)? or other material, like Felpro/Victor Reins brands?

Rear main;

...felpro?

I was gonna grab both at me nearest AutoZone. But in the mean time, is there anyone that would loan there cherry picker? I promise to return it in better condition and with in 7 days.

Thanks,

I like the GM pan gasket, it's like a rubber cork blend type material but anything will work. The cork gaskets work good but you have to tighten them up once in a while...like valve covers. Fel pro rear main seals always worked for me but some people use the cometic rear main. Apparently they are slightly over sized? I have fel pro rear seals in everything I've put together and they work fine.

You can borrow our hoist but you have to pick it up and drop it off. 6 pack of pabst blue ribbon on pickup, and 6 pack of coors when dropped off...:eek::D

yeah you can get the pan off in the car. Pain in the ass but yes. If I had my hoist at home I'd drop it off. So much easier out of the car.

Thanks
You can borrow our hoist but you have to pick it up and drop it off. 6 pack of pabst blue ribbon on pickup, and 6 pack of coors when dropped off...:eek::D

THat's a DEAL! Can't go wrong with a bear that won a 1st place ribbon
PBR_logos_001.jpg

Just an update from a couple of days ago. I pulled the oil pan without removing the engine with no problems. Take a look at all the gasket material. This is definitely a MUST if you blow a head gasket. Thanks for the peer pressure to do so.
IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG

Holy shit dude. That's nasty. Keep an eye on oil pressure when you get it back together. If any of that made its way into the front cover, could cause issues. Good thing you pulled the pan!!

I had that happen to me once, HG failure...littered up the screen, not even close to being that bad.. Sent shit all through the engine. Never got it all out. Scored up the walls of the cover and pump pockets. Had to replace the timing cover, adaptor etc. Next thing that will happen is that crap may get by into the turbo if you are not running a turbo saver. Then the turbo will let loose. Not trying to be a debbie downer, but I have been there and done that. Pull engine and get it cleaned out. You will have issues going forward, I guarantee it.

Just some updates...Got the heads, intake and exhaust installed. Now I will need to flush out the rest of the oiling system.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 101
I had that happen to me once, HG failure...littered up the screen, not even close to being that bad.. Sent shit all through the engine. Never got it all out. Scored up the walls of the cover and pump pockets. Had to replace the timing cover, adaptor etc. Next thing that will happen is that crap may get by into the turbo if you are not running a turbo saver. Then the turbo will let loose. Not trying to be a debbie downer, but I have been there and done that. Pull engine and get it cleaned out. You will have issues going forward, I guarantee it.

I am leaning towards the turbo saver kit from TR customs...looks pretty slick!

You can't flush it without 100% tear down if it ran in bypass and pushed gasket material and debris through the oil galleys. Your engines oil clearances and bearings and turbo become the new filter. If it didn't run in bypass then the filter will catch almost all of it but those head gaskets look like there was a lot of detonation over a long period of time. Usually the rod bearings are hammered and rods slightly twisted when i see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't flush it without 100% tear down if it ran in bypass and pushed gasket material and debris through the oil galleys. Your engines oil clearances and bearings and turbo become the new filter. If it didn't run in bypass then the filter will catch almost all of it but those head gaskets look like there was a lot of detonation over a long period of time. Usually the rod bearings are hammered and rods slightly twisted when i see that.

Exactly what i was thinking, with that much detonation, i would have been checking out the bearings.

I don't know weather to cuss at you...or thank you for the insight. Either way, I do appreciate your knowledge...just don't like hearing about more damage or more $$$.

Thanks Bison

I don't know weather to cuss at you...or thank you for the insight. Either way, I do appreciate your knowledge...just don't like hearing about more damage or more $$$.

Thanks Bison

You may be cussing YOURSELF out shortly for not listening to his insight and knowledge and (( AT LEAST )) looking at those bearings.
It'll do 2 things ,it will tell you how much damage the detonation did down there and also give some indication as to how much debris has circulated thru the engine.
A bit more work now can save alot of extra cost and aggravation in the future.
Either way good luck with the fix.

Last edited: