Replacing my head gasket for the first time.

DeltaBravo

Retired U.S. Army/Navy
Hello all...

The last time I posted something here, it was about me possible blowing a head gasket...or two...dunno, on the way home from Buick at Bates. Well, after some other things (life) that were the priority at the time I have know dedicated some time and cash to get her back on the road.

This is my plan (please let me know if it is good one or not), I will be ordering some gaskets from Kirbans (see pic), some oil, and getting some thread sealant at my local auto parts store. I all ready have some 16 point ARP bolts and plan on doing this with the engine in the car.

That's it! Wanna help? let me know...I have cold beer on tap!
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 8.42.34 PM.png

You probably don't need the gaskets for the exhaust manifold or turbo. If the flanges are reasonably flat you can use a small amount of red RTV and be fine. Just as a question; are you going to attempt this in the car of will you have the engine on a stand? Are you down in San Diego or?

Neal

Youll need valve cover gaskets as well. Consider studs vs bolts and you need some sealer like "the right stuff" rtv to seal the china rail to intake corners. Also brake clean, acetone and clean lint free cloths to wipe down the mating surfaces. Also i think its a mistake to not get the heads milled true as they distort a few thou just from being torqued down. Alot of f'ing around to skip that step.

yup, valve cover gasket kit will be in the order as well as brake clean and cloths. As far the the bolts vs studs topic...Because I am doing this with the engine in the car and I have the A/C heater box still installed, I am under the impression I can't do studs because I will not be able clear the heads over them on the passenger side. But the final reason is because I already have a "bolt" style set.

turbo hot side gasket, turbo oil return gasket. I just cleaned up my heads and stuck them back on, engine oil, antifreeze (common stuff). cant think of any more, I just did mine last month :) and my powermaster took a dump couple of weeks ago :punch:

ok, I like it! I will add the turbo gasket and oil line return gasket. No Antifreeze for me...just distilled water and RMI25. Oil is definitely on the list with an oil filter.

Thanks guys

You probably don't need the gaskets for the exhaust manifold or turbo. If the flanges are reasonably flat you can use a small amount of red RTV and be fine. Just as a question; are you going to attempt this in the car of will you have the engine on a stand? Are you down in San Diego or?

Neal
Hi,

I am doing this with the engine still installed in the car, and I am up in Redondo Beach...

I would get a good valve job done and maybe a little port work while heads are off.

One more thing. I know removing the engine seems like a lot of work, but it's really not. If you have the room, it's so much easier on your back to pop the engine out. Then you can get a new rear main seal in there, really clean things up too. Just a thought. (y)

Neal
Hi,

I am doing this with the engine still installed in the car, and I am up in Redondo Beach...
I would get a good valve job done and maybe a little port work while heads are off.

Your absolutely right! and it would make total sense to take care of that while I have the heads off...which is why I am not doing it.

But the real answer is; due to time and money, I am only doing what is needed for now.

Neal
Hi,

Your absolutely right! and it would make total sense to take care of that while I have the heads off...which is why I am not doing it.

But the real answer is; due to time and money, I am only doing what is needed for now.
One more thing. I know removing the engine seems like a lot of work, but it's really not. If you have the room, it's so much easier on your back to pop the engine out. Then you can get a new rear main seal in there, really clean things up too. Just a thought. (y)

As far as removing the engine, I completely agree and wanted to go that route. However, I don't have an engine hoist and don't have the extra cash to buy one. This is why I am just doing the bare minimum and only replacing what is needed vs. the other route. Maybe after I blow this new gasket (hopefully not for at least another 6 months) I will be set up and able to go the other route.

I agree with Jeremy on this. I have always removed the engine to replace head gaskets. That way you can do an inspection on the bearings, clean the oil pickup to remove the gasket debris, fix oil leaks etc. If you take the time to do it right the difference in cost isn't huge. There is more time involved but you'll have peace of mind that the car should run well once you're done.

Neal

Do you know why the HG blew in the first place?

Do you know why the HG blew in the first place?

Not really...just some theories for now.

This car had some overheating issues in the past (currently fixed) from a clogged radiator and the water temp got pretty high one day. I was driving her to Fort Irwin from a location close to LAX were the car was dropped off from the boat ride from Alaska, where I was previously stationed. On this drive, she got up to 230-250 degrees. :eek: Because I bought the car with this (unknown) condition, I can only assume that the previous owner(s) didn't care or understand and drove it anyways. This would cause many "extreme" heating cycles of the engine, stressing the gasket materials...

Also, I don't know the age of the engine or when the last rebuild was or what type of head gaskets and hardware is in there to begin with. They could just be old and tiered. With the previous issue I described, accelerating the life expectancy of the material over an unknown amount of time.

Ohhh...and lastly, I think I was running to much boost:p around 27lbs...;). But I'm sure that had nothing to do with it!

SPOOLFOOL2,

Thanks for the "Winner" award. I guess your saying my theories are pretty accurate? By the way, I've been surfing the cliffs quite often...have you?

SPOOLFOOL2,

Thanks for the "Winner" award. I guess your saying my theories are pretty accurate? By the way, I've been surfing the cliffs quite often...have you?

The cliffs are my home spot. I live just up Seapoint street.
It's been super crowded since the contest last week. The center of the cliffs is called The Cove. I was going to paddle out for a quickie there this morning, but I'd have to walk across heads to get out there. :eek:

Let me know the next time you want to paddle out there. I'll see if I can sneak out. I'm heading out this Thursday for The Bonneville salt flats. It's Speedweek ya know. :D

Well,

Mostly good news. Took her apart today to discover it wasn't for nothing...I believe that is number 4 cylinder.
IMG_2386.jpg

As far as dreading the "infamous" passenger side bolts, I found that both sides have there respected challenges. But all in all...not bad. I didn't even bust any knuckles or break any bolts....sweeeeeeeet!

However, I did break on thing. One of my plugs....augggghhhhhh!
IMG_2391.jpg
Now just clean up some thing a wait on my parts.

Dude, that's a lot of gasket missing. I personally would drop the pan and clean it out, and check the pickup tube. Shit, I would flush the whole thing out. And rear main seal while I'm down there.

Good find! Surprised the car even ran like that!

That engine was run in the grenade mode. I can see burn trails on every visible cylinder. Pulling the pan and cleaning it and the pickup screen is mandatory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grenade mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesucristo....

The engine is half way out! 11 bolts left... Just saying.

Last edited:
OK...OK...!

I will drop the pan. But I can't pull the engine, because I don't have a engine hoist. Otherwise I would totally pull it! Hell, I've dropped my transmission 4 times this last year....so I know exactly were and how to get to those bolts.

Will I be able to drop the oil pan without pulling the engine?

Thanks again