Removing window tint

aquickv6

What is the best way to remove window tint that has been on for many years? What type or brand tint should I ask for on the new install?

Some of the new tint has a slight green look from the inside, which I do not like. I want 20% all around. Thanks

Use warm soapy water and a razor blade. Keep the tint wet at all times and do not use a razor blade on the back window if you have rear defrost!! Hard work for sure and if there is tint glue on the window after the tint is removed? Use a thinner type cleaner to remove. Good Luck

Cut open a plastic garbage bag. Spray/saturate one side with ammonia and then press the wet side against the window tint (making the most contact w/o air bubbles that you possibly can). Let set for 20 minutes, and the tint will almost fall off.

Before re-tinting, be sure to wash the window very well with water to get all ammonia off it.

I used a heat gun and some brand new razor blades to take my old tint off, try to get as much off in one piece as possible. And like what was said above, wipe the old glue off some thinner or alcohol.

Cut open a plastic garbage bag. Spray/saturate one side with ammonia and then press the wet side against the window tint (making the most contact w/o air bubbles that you possibly can). Let set for 20 minutes, and the tint will almost fall off.

Before re-tinting, be sure to wash the window very well with water to get all ammonia off it.

x2 on this technique - park it in the sun with with the bag/ammonia on it and it will come off that much better and quicker.

Lumar or 3M are good tints - anything metal based will outlast cheap tint by a mile - the cheaper grades will eventually lose their pigment and turn purple.

the best way I've removed tint was with a razor blade and cheap carb cleaner from wallyworld. Wait until it's EXTREAMLY humid to instal. A misty day is great and will keep it from drying to quickly. You just have to go out every hour or so to get the bubbles ou with a squegee.

GREAT info here! I may be doing this soon as well so I was happy to see your post! ;)