rear window shattered while driving

I agree with the theory you were shot at.

When I was a kid (Early 70's), my brother gave me his BB gun and I shot at anything that moved until I shot at the wrong VW...... that guy chased my ass down the street, thru alleys, over and under fences, thru bushes and finally caught me.

Dragged my ass to my house and told my dad what I was doing. I mowed that guys yard every week for the next 2 friggin' years. I still talk to him at Christmas every year.

I'm lucky both he and my dad didn't beat the daylights out of me. o_O

I was driving my 87 GN down a smooth road at about 30 mph when the rear window just shattered.
This was your first mistake .............. only 30mph !
No one was outside that I saw and an elderly woman was directly behind me
And she was pissed you were only doing 30mph in a GN . Looks like she only needed one shot . lol

Just an update. Car still not getting repaired as the company couldn't find rear glass with defroster. Finally found a used rear out of a MC SS so just waiting on that. Going to spend the full 250 deductible. The insurance will pay the rest. Sigh.

So now when
Just an update. Car still not getting repaired as the company couldn't find rear glass with defroster. Finally found a used rear out of a MC SS so just waiting on that. Going to spend the full 250 deductible. The insurance will pay the rest. Sigh.
So now when someone says nice Monte...they won't be completely wrong. I bought a new windshield 2 weeks ago. Cost was $245 and I too have a $250 deductible. How much is the back glass parts and labor ( and shipping)?

Another update. The shop called and said that they have the used glass but need the "trim" to install it and that they can't find that anywhere. To me trim means the outside decorative parts. He described it as multi piece gasket type material that he said was destroyed when they cut the glass out. What is he even talking about? I'm getting ready to just take the car elsewhere. Does anyone have a diagram of how the glass and assorted materials go in?

Welcome to the great anomaly of tempered glass!!!! As one who has worked in a tempering facility, both machining tailgate glass, and running the tempering oven, glass can, and will be shipped with imperfections in the edge work, general rule of thumb in the industry is, "If it made it thru the quench cycle, and didn't break, ship it"
How many S10 blazer rear glass have you seen break?? We used to make them at my facility, and can tell you, that one little chip in the edge work, and years down the road, "don't know what happened, the glass just broke"
Welcome to the strange and weird science that we call glass!!!!

UPDATE I need some help. After waiting several weeks for the shop to get my used rear glass they called and stated that they were still looking for the "trim". Gave them about two more weeks then started calling them and couldn't get a call back.
Soooo I called my insurance company and told them i wanted someone else to repair the damage. They notified Safelight, called me and stated that they would be at my house the next day. Next day my insurance calls and says that they can get the glass but it will be a week. Im like ok. Then a few days later I get a call that they cant install the glass without the "trim" and its impossible to find.
So what the hell is this trim they keep talking about? They act like it is some kind of gasket attached to something, but doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with the outside glass trim. What do they need? I was told to look on ebay and try and find the part and then they could install the glass but im not sure what to look for and have had zero luck looking. I cant even find any assembly manual pics showing what the parts are. Surely there is a way of replacing these rear windows that would be acceptable for the insurance companies?

The trim is exactly that, the chrome or black trim that goes around the outside edge of the glass between the glass and body of the car.

I'm thinking you still have all of those pieces in your possession if the back glass has not yet been removed. The clips to hold it are readily available online. There is no seal, it's glued in with mastic.

BTW, if it's not a 2010 or later model car, Safelite doesn't have a friggin' clue. Never has, never will.

Just so you know.

As TurboT has said, the "trim" they keep talking about, is the exterior trim, wether it be black or chrome, rear window is just set in urethane, and he is correct in his statement that they don't know much about car glass after 2010, it's hard to find an "old guy" who still does auto glass that would know what they are doing, as it takes a toll on the body quickly, I lasted 7 years doing auto glass before my body broke down from doing it.
Also, removal tools have come a long way over the years, chances are, they are going to cut it out with a tool called an "Equalizer", looks like a sawzall, yes, it makes glass removal easier, but be careful, because they have a tendency to get overly anxious and cut them out quick, but also end up banging the edge and scratching the hell out of the paint, and it can happen with an old style cutout knife also, you will never see it until it's too late, when you start to have rust bubbles showing around the trim, they have to be careful cutting it out, and if they do not put primer over the scratch, then bingo, all of a sudden you start having rust bubbles and rot under the trim. If I were you, and they don't like it, watch over their shoulder and make sure they don't scratch the hell out of your paint, and if they do, make sure they put primer over the scratch to avoid problems down the road. Anyone who has or has had a G body car, knows the evil monster of rust showing up around the trim over time because of the installer being in a hurry to get to the next job and not priming over the scratches that go thru the paint down to bare metal, and if you are like I am, with a 30 yr old or older toy, be anal about the work they do!!! Just my 2 cents!!!
Hope you get your glass finally installed!!!

Thanks for heads up. Weird that two shops and the insurance company would all mention that I need the trim new. Like its magical or something. I'll get on the phone and see if I can straighten them out.
Appreciate the help.

This happened to me back in the 90's I was street racing a 1985 Monte SS. It was a Mid eleven second car. I launched hard on the street and the rear glass blew out. Luckily it was tinted so the tint actually held it all together.

anyway, I thought holy cow this thing launched hard to do that but upon further inspection (since it's really impossible for this to happen) there was a screw ran just a little to far in the trunk and sticking up by the window. It's point was up against the glass and when the car tweeked it touched the screw point and, boom.

Just food for thought. Inspect the area for anything pointy near the glass.

Thanks for heads up. Weird that two shops and the insurance company would all mention that I need the trim new. Like its magical or something. I'll get on the phone and see if I can straighten them out.
Appreciate the help.

It isn't the trim, it's the clips that hold it in place. They are readily available, but do they fit right is the variable.

Not sure if you have one near you, but Space Age Paints sells tons of clips for all kinds of exterior trim applications. The ones I got from them worked best on one of Nick Micale's cars back glass a couple years ago.

Still haven't got the glass fixed!!!! Gave the last company several weeks to find a heated rear glass panel. They showed up last week. As the guy was getting ready to cut out my old broken piece he stopped and said let me check something. Comes over and shows me that the replacement wasn't a heated unit. Then talks to his boss and says no one can get the heated one.

So its up to me I guess. I checked ebay and found new heated rear glass for about 250 bucks. The description says it wont work with the third rear brake light? How would that light affect the fit in any way? I don't see how. I'm waiting on a response from the company. I wanted to run it past the forum first. So is there anything different about glass vs the third brakelight?

Thanks GNRick, I saw that after I got home this morning. I don't really care myself if that is the only deviation. I wonder if the electrical circuit plugs in the same location? Its hard to find any info on this.

Hey neighbor, I mention in thread reply #15 ,my buddy had a headed used back glass and he is less than a hundred miles from you. Give him a call and maybe he can help you. 423-775-3046 name is Charlie.Heck @ $75.00 you could have been cruising.