rear window shattered while driving

cetme1

Weird. I was driving my 87 GN down a smooth road at about 30 mph when the rear window just shattered. No sign of foul play. There's no rust and I have the extra bracing and bushings. Tires are brand new and I was thinking how smooth they ride when it happened.

So apparently no one makes these rear windows anymore. What are people doing for replacements? Mine had the rear defrost. Used part? I'm in the Knoxville TN area if anyone has a window that I can buy.

Any help would be appreciated!

I know there's one on Craigslist in Phoenix, AZ but shipping would be dicey, at best.

I have never even seen a rear window break on a wicked frame twisting launch or from 140+db of car audio. Are you 100% positive on the foul play rule out. I was looking to replace my 87 rear window also. On the roller that I got it has a car club sand blasted / etched on it.

I called safelite about two months ago because my defrost lines were wiped out from the previous owner and they quoted me $350 so I held off. I'm sure they have some or can get one.

Sure there isn't any sign of a pellet or 22 impact?

This is my guess. Somebody shot him with a pellet gun. Laminated safety glass doesn't shatter from the opening deforming. It'll pop out of the opening before it breaks.

I'm not sure where your getting your information from but the glass is still manufactured.

Mygrant Glass and Pilkington both make it.

No sign of BB or pellets. But no way of being sure. No one was outside that I saw and an elderly woman was directly behind me with her windows rolled up. Wasn't that hot and I had the ac on at least 15 minutes by then. Just had new tires put on and they were riding smooth as silk. No pot holes or rr tracks and I hadn't go on the gas in quite a while. I called several companies and they all said that there was no glass being made or in stock anywhere. I'll check on those two companies mentioned.

Well if I shot someones rear window out I sure as shit wouldn't do it in the wide open. Probably some kids hiding behind a garage or something.

Contact your auto insurance company. See what they have to offer. Some States require 100% glass coverage with no deductible.

Contact your auto insurance company. See what they have to offer. Some States require 100% glass coverage with no deductible.[/QUOTE

I already did. I have a 250 deductible. I told them the company names they gave me couldn't get any glass, so now I have an appointment to leave my car at a shop on Wednesday so they can replace it. Sux, but that's where I'm at.

Tempered glass can have a small flaw in it. In Minnesota turning on the rear defrost in the winter can make it break. Sometimes summer heat also. I have seen at least 10 break over the years.

Well if I shot someones rear window out I sure as shit wouldn't do it in the wide open. Probably some kids hiding behind a garage or something.

Yea it could have been. I've been in a car shot up with 40 cal rounds before and it makes a hell of a lot more noise coming in than a pellet gun. Didn't see those two guys either!

That is a freaky mishap that you experience, just curious was your rear glass tinted, if so and very rarely the modecules in that old glass and the tinted film,combine with using your rear defroster can set a small reaction. Anyway I'm your neighbor I live in Concord . If you haven't had any luck here are a couple of my sources ...P T Glass can get one not heated $350.00 .... Charlie Auto Salvage in Dayton, TN has got one $75.00 ..423-775-3046 talk to Charlie Jr. Good luck..

That is a freaky mishap that you experience, just curious was your rear glass tinted, if so and very rarely the modecules in that old glass and the tinted film,combine with using your rear defroster can set a small reaction. Anyway I'm your neighbor I live in Concord . If you haven't had any luck here are a couple of my sources ...P T Glass can get one not heated $350.00 .... Charlie Auto Salvage in Dayton, TN has got one $75.00 ..423-775-3046 talk to Charlie Jr. Good luck..
Thanks neighbor. I'll let the shop know about it in the morning. My rear glass was tinted but I wasn't using the defrost.

Had a rear window installed at Safelite. No rear defogger and it was $130ish installed.

I'm guessing a bb or pellet hit. The hit and cracking happen so close you may not have heard it hit.