Questions as they come up about my V2 project!!

I think I am just going to use my kenne bell exhaust and cut my downpipe to connect into my race pipe i got.....just for now and maybe go with some nice SS from ATR in the future.....$$$$.......thanks Nick

Hey Nick, sound slike everythings coming together for ya. That kinda exhaust do you got? If you do have a cat, i would reccomend taking it off. I ewas trying to post picsof my v2 installed but my stupid camera is acting up, I'll keep you posted!

I would love to see some of your pics when your camera isnt acting stupid on ya.:D Does you TV cable kind of angle out on ya, where it is hooked up to the trottle body........none of my cables seem to line up perfect:confused: maybe you got a pic of that.......and I could use a pic of some of your vacumm routing....just the vacumm lines that are under boost. And any other pics you got would be good to.

I cant get my damn mount off the old turbo to mount the new one on......my new/used turbo has the 86/87 systle mounting.....is there a vendor that supplies the 84/85 turbo mount thing......lol??
Then I just noticed that I will need a oil drain seal for on the turbo and I will need a up pipe seal to the turbo...plus I havent heard from the guy that sold me the kit.......he was suppose to be throwing in a free up pipe......SS 2.5in.........so I will probably have to throw the stocker back on until i hear from him........

I got my header back from the welder and it cost me $5.........damn that is a lot better then buying a new one:)..........it had 3 leaks too.........so now I should be able to push more then 15# of boost.........damn header!!

Right now I have a kenne bell exhaust 2.5in, it is probably a few years old.......it has the dynomax mufflers..........and I installed a race pipe about a month ago........and before that I was running a high flow cat........so I think I am just going to run the down pipe to the test pipe and then to the kenne bell exhaust........and be done with it. Maybe some nice SS in the future.
So everything is coming together little by little I seem to always find a part I need that I can find at a local parts place....so Hopefully once I order these parts that should be it......I will keep ya posted and shoot me some pictures if you can, I would really appreciate it......and I could use a visual.........later Nick

chevyyracing@hotmail.com

The up pipe, if you use the ATR pipe (2 1/2" stainless),
diesn't require any gaskets except the copper one
at the turbo/up pipe joint. I did have to use the stock
gasket/donut seal at the downpipe to turbo joint to
get it to seal, though. I had to cutoff the bolts
underneath the turbine housing, flush to the mounting
flange. Then with all the other bolts out, you can get the
mounting flange off. You can soak the cutoff bolts and
get them out with a good pair of vise grips.
I'll try to get some more pics and send to you,
but it will be awhile. (Shoot pics, send to be developed,
get back, scan in, etc. - no digital camera here.)
If that guy TIG welded your header for $5.00 and used
stainless filler, you got a real deal! I am afraid he didn't
do a good prep job and if so, it will crack again - real soon.
Ditto, non stainless filler, ditto, non TIG welded.
Hopefully you just got a real deal! That little angle you see
on the cables is due to the angle Jay built the TB mounting.
Mine feels a little tippy on the throttle, but works fine.

When I had dropped my header off I told the guy to use stainless steal filler and to tig weld it and make sure it is supported so it doesnt warp..........The header looks pretty good........there is some burn marks around the welds though????

Ya I will have to call ATR or someone on Monday and order my up-pipe to turbo connection.....(i cant get the one off the stock turbo it is stuck on the three bolts...i think it may be warped on there...and it looks brand new...not copper though)

No body sells those mounting brackets for the turbo? I will have to take a try at getting the stocker off again tommorrow.

I changed my plugs......I used autolite's 24........at .035 gap.....the old plugs were at a .045 gap......:confused: kinda weird huh.....I did have a little bit of a back fire when I would rev it up in park...maybe it was my plugs.....and my plugs had a little bit of white on the tips....and black around that...what does that indicate?? Too rich...normal...?

I hope that header holds up or that is the last time I go to that place to get stuff done.......you got me worried now.........lol......later Nick

Well, don't worry about it! Cross that bridge when/if
you get to it. If it looks good, go with it - MHO.
Getting the bracket off - refer to my post on toes!
It is no fun! But it can be done, just cut the bolts off
flush to the flange. Soak everything with WD40, etc.
Flat file the bolts flush to the bracket if you have to.
You should be able to knock it loose from the cutoff
bolts then. Be safe. A Sawsall and a vise come in
real handy here.

I should be able to get the bolts out if I cut them with a vise grip, right?? I got someone interested in my stock turbo and dont want to get a bolt stuck in there......I will try again tommorrow with more patients....lol.......glad I didnt sell it before I reliezed I would need the mounting plate......lol......thanks Nick

Once you get the bracket off, you can probably
back the cut off bolts out with the vise grips,
after a good soaking, maybe. then buy some
new bolts and replace them. If the guy needs
your old turbo, sell it without the bracket and
let him go through the same process you did.
LOL

Will do;) Man I better have this car put back together pretty soon, I am having Turbo Regal withdrawls............LOL.....later Nick

For the bolts - Heat them up with a propane torch - then hose them down with PB Blaster, Works for me every time.

Ok guys it has been a few days and I havent found to much time to work on it. :( But, got sometime tonight and all I have left is:

Put on new oil feed line

Run all the lines that need boost.............need a step by step on this if you can:confused:

Mount intercooler and piping!!!!

TPS sensor adj., new chip it, new ECM in, oil change, little piddly crap!!:D

Crossover and cut new downpipe to size under the car!

Got any pictures of your adjustable wastegate.........just trying to get some ideas of were to cut the bracket or drill new mounting holes?:confused: :confused: :confused:

So I am getting close should find sometime tommorrow yet I hope. Got any advice on the lines for the boost? Thanks agian guys, Nick.

everything that needs boost?????

Ok off the source spot on the intake I run a vacumm line to the wastegate actuator on the driver's side valve cover??????

Then maybe run a line from the other port there to a three way tee and hook up my adjustable wastegate and my fuel pressure regulator, map sensor, and my boost gauge???????? Is there anything else????:confused:

Does that sound like it would work..............what would happen if I got boost going somewhere it shouldnt????? Would I hurt anything or would the car just run like crap????

What should I do with my adjustable wastegate bracket.......trim it drill new holes........what have you guys done????

I AM VERY CLOSE JUST NEED SOME FINISHING TIPS ;)
:D

Oh ya any ideas what boost I should be able to run on the street with 93 octane with this setup? My burnt chip is for 16lbs. Gosh I hope I get it back on the road before winter;)I should have two more months to go around and inbed the fear of TR's in to every mustang, firebird, camaro, and corvette in town..........LOL

How much horsepower do you think I could get at the wheels on 93 octane and 110 octane? Just thought I would throw so stupid questions we all hate in to this post.......LOL

Thanks much, Nick

I trimmed the bracket on the waste gate,
redrilled it, bent it, etc. to get the thing to
line up, but it works. I'll send you some pics
by email.

Anybody help me out with the lines that need boost..(vacumm lines from the port on the passenger's side of the intake). I need a step by step if possible........I am a little confused on it all.

Can the fuel pressure regulator go right to the port on the turbo?

Thanks Nick

Intercooler bracket!

Is it me or does the intercooler bracket interfer with the belt running the alternator????????????????

I cant see any other bolts on the front cover that the intercooler could mount to! On the passenger side right above the oil filter?

Dammit, I am almost done.......:D

TIA Nick

You just have to cut the driver side bracket off and let the
bottom half serve as the bracket. I think I am going to try to fab a bracket at the top sometime. The pictures that Jay
used to have on his web site showed the braket cut off.
Another item that was not fully engineered in the kit,
IMHO.

Driver side bracket?

I have the one bracket that mounts somewhere on the passenger side of the intercooler...........Do I need to cut a slot in the bracket for the belt to pass through?

I am confused on how your described the bracket fab to me.

I did just get the wastegate on...........just trimmed it a little and she fits good.

Any help with the vacumm/boost lines would be awesom too.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Nick

I figured it out........................:eek: It is the bolt below the oil filter that the bracket mounts to. Should be running tommorrow by noon I hope just have to fill the radiator up and change the oil, set the tps. Anyone think of anything else I should do before starting it up.............oh ya prime the engine and turbo. Anything else?

Anyone have probs with the intercooler pipes being so close to the hood liner that the liner gets ruined??????:confused: I dont want that to happen:confused:

Thanks guys............I am so excited........I wish the garage had electricity so I could be out there all night.......damn shop lights sux!!:D

Nick:cool: