Question about wiring TR harness into an El Camino

Working from memory here, but the GN lines I used put the supply tube on the drivers side with the others on the other rail. It doesn't really matter as long as you get fuel in and out. The factory flex lines bolted right up for me, you might have to fabricate something but it's been done before. The Saginaw fittings were hard to find when I was thinking of braided hose.

Working from memory here, but the GN lines I used put the supply tube on the drivers side with the others on the other rail. It doesn't really matter as long as you get fuel in and out. The factory flex lines bolted right up for me, you might have to fabricate something but it's been done before. The Saginaw fittings were hard to find when I was thinking of braided hose.

Yes, that's true. But seeings I have stock El Camino lines in excellent condition, but on the opposite side, it wouldn't pay me to rip them out, put in the used GN lines I have, plus make them longer, just to avoid re-plumbing the front in the engine compartment. Fortunately, I have one GN feed line, but I would still have to purchase the other .... $100 with shipping. For half that, I can have custom lines made up and I'm sure you would agree I'm making the right choice. Another positive thing I found out today about the El is that the new gas tank that came with the El Camino, is baffled. :eek: So basically, I can just move forward and not worry about completing plumbing the fuel delivery until I have an engine in place.

You were fortunate to have a fuel injected El to begin with, it saved you lots of time and money. Going from carbed to efi was an easy $500 or more, not to mention the extra work.

Passed a psychological milestone today. Still, 999,999 tasks to accomplish, but at least I made a little room and got the engine stand and TH2004R out of the way, now safely stored on my Turbo-Camino. :biggrin:

ABRACADABRA!!! :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 234.jpg
    Picture 234.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 543
  • Picture 238.jpg
    Picture 238.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 571
  • Picture 237.jpg
    Picture 237.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 558
You were fortunate to have a fuel injected El to begin with, it saved you lots of time and money. Going from carbed to efi was an easy $500 or more, not to mention the extra work.

Hey John ... I didn't get to my wiring dilema yet, but I guess it won't be too long. Something occurred to me the other day. If I replaced the elky underdash wiring harness with a TR harness, wouldn't that simplify everything for me? I've been thinking of changing to a Regal dash and selling my intact Elky dash. They pay too much, as you know. I'm asking you about the harness, because of course, this is what you've done ... used a TR underdash harness. What's your take on my "revelation"? And this question is not just for just plain John, but for anyone. ;)

John, in my case I went from the 81 Elky dash to the 87 GN dash. The connectors on the switches at the very least are different, and I couldn't say about the circuitry since I never looked into it planning to do the GN dash from the start. The A/C stuff is the same, so no problem there. Can't speak to your 82, but my 81 had a dash mounted headlight switch that the GN dash did not have. While I guess I could have installed the turn signal mounted switch, I just sourced a Regal coulmn and a T type steering wheel. The GN dash harness does indeed make it plug and play, with the exception of the lighting/horn/fuel level (the other half of the fuseblock connector under the hood). Still haven't gotten that far yet, but I expect that the pinouts can be rearranged to work. The GN dash harness also makes the VSS a plug in deal too, which is important to ECM function. I had some unused circuits like the power trunk release and rear window defrost that could possibly be used for stealth purposes, like maybe a kill switch or a line loc control. Bottom line is it's a bolt in deal and seems simpler to me than trying to integrate the two. What's the worst that could happen?

John, in my case I went from the 81 Elky dash to the 87 GN dash. The connectors on the switches at the very least are different, and I couldn't say about the circuitry since I never looked into it planning to do the GN dash from the start. The A/C stuff is the same, so no problem there. Can't speak to your 82, but my 81 had a dash mounted headlight switch that the GN dash did not have. While I guess I could have installed the turn signal mounted switch, I just sourced a Regal coulmn and a T type steering wheel. The GN dash harness does indeed make it plug and play, with the exception of the lighting/horn/fuel level (the other half of the fuseblock connector under the hood). Still haven't gotten that far yet, but I expect that the pinouts can be rearranged to work. The GN dash harness also makes the VSS a plug in deal too, which is important to ECM function. I had some unused circuits like the power trunk release and rear window defrost that could possibly be used for stealth purposes, like maybe a kill switch or a line loc control. Bottom line is it's a bolt in deal and seems simpler to me than trying to integrate the two. What's the worst that could happen?

Well, I'm not so worried about the elky (86) dash functioning. After all, all it has is idiot lights anyway. I would have to plug in a Regal headlite switch to the Regal harness to have headlites. I plan to change over to a Regal dash down the line, but want the car to be running and driving before I undertake that project. I have dashes, and I have the duct work because I have a junk non-turbo parts Regal in my possession. The important thing, as you mentioned, is I won't have to integrate the Regal engine harness with the Elky stuff. Instead, I'll be eliminating the Elky stuff. I wish it would have dawned on me sooner. I probably missed a few opportunities to get an under dash harness. There's one advertised now for $75 but it's for a digital dash. I'd prefer the analog. Brian at G-body is looking into what he has, and I'm sure I get one out of parts wanted.

Good point I forgot to mention, you will need the passenger side A/C duct since the two are different. I got mine from Brian.

Hey John,

I haven't forgot your wiring diagrams, I'm a little behind schedule because of my S-10 engine tear down...

Hey John,

I haven't forgot your wiring diagrams, I'm a little behind schedule because of my S-10 engine tear down...

Hey Russ. I'm pretty sure you already sent me that information by email. I saw your teardown thread, and wished I could offer some advice but I think you have things well under control. :biggrin:

I thought of running my question by you about using a TR underdash harness. It seems to me it would make my wiring, to run, much easier. Go back a couple posts to see my comments about it and let me know what you think.

...I thought of running my question by you about using a TR underdash harness. It seems to me it would make my wiring, to run, much easier. Go back a couple posts to see my comments about it and let me know what you think.

I'd do it if you're gonna run the regal dash, it should be plug and play. But I'd do the dash and wiring now, that way there'd be no worry about the Elky stuff causing you grief.

I'd do it if you're gonna run the regal dash, it should be plug and play. But I'd do the dash and wiring now, that way there'd be no worry about the Elky stuff causing you grief.

Well, I will, if I can get a harness. What's one more project within a project. I'm painting, I'm wrenching, and so I'll be dashing. :D I don't think it will be that difficult to get one, with all the TRs being parted out. I've seen a couple but for digital dashes. I'm waiting for Bweavy to get back to me about one, and of course, the last resort, the "parts wanted" section always comes through. :cool: