PTC converter

brian

Well... I took the plunge as well after hearing all the great results with the now famous PTC 9.5 n/l converter.
Now, I am not a hardcore racer like some. Just a guy that wants the car to do what it can without having to kill it at the track. (which is what we all do anyways:wink:) My car is very mild, and light compared to most TR combos. So, I wondered if my application would be a pass or fail. After the initial install I was (very) concearned this would be WAY to much converter for my mild car. On the first drive I continued to be more impressed by the way it worked and drove. My buddy, who is quite finicky about driveabilty, and overall "sceptical" of non lock up converters, was as impressed as I was. It is a bit loose on initial acceleration, but, after that the converter is all that I had heard about.

So, Sunday I head to the track. Very nice mild November day here in Michigan, it was about 65*. It was an awesome drive, and impressive as well. I removed a very popular lock up converter I wanted to test. My RPM at cruise was within 50 rpm of a lockup unit. 2200 @ 70mph, as opposed to the 2350-2400 I was used to seeing with my old n/l conv, and 2150 was the typical lock up rpm with the last converter I removed. Nice!:cool: At 60 mph, it was just awesome being under 2000 rpm. Nice and quiet in the car. (except for all the wind noise from my rotten seals)
So... I got to the track, and I would like to tell eveyone I ran 3-4 tenths quicker. But, I did not. No big deal. I had to figure the new combo out, and without a cage, they are not very accepting with my antics anymore. So, it was 1/8th mile time. It took me a couple passes to find where the car would launch and not spin. The track I went to is affectionatly know as "La-smear" Dragway, as it can be difficult to hook there unless it is a race program day, or you said alot of prayers the night before.:rolleyes: I got a couple decent 60fts, and a couple spinners. I modified my launch for the day, and I am sure it killed a hint of ET. But,, it was a must as anything over 7 psi resulted in tire spin.
With my new found knowlege, I decided it was time to go for it. Got the car up on about 7 psi, and had some tire spin.:eek: But, stayed in it anyway as it was time to bail. Low and behold, my rpm through the traps was over 500 rpm lower than my old converter!:biggrin: Went through the traps at only 5075, I would always be over 5500 through the traps with my old combo.
Ultimatly, I ended up with my best 60 ft, 1/8th mile, 1/8th mph, 1/4 mile, and 1/4 mph. Not by a bunch, but... better none the less! But, now with out revving my stock cam to the moon to do it!

Thanks Dusty and PTC for a very nice part.!

Brian

That's cool! Hey why are you going back to the TE63 from he 6265?

Well... I took the plunge as well after hearing all the great results with the now famous PTC 9.5 n/l converter.
Now, I am not a hardcore racer like some. Just a guy that wants the car to do what it can without having to kill it at the track. (which is what we all do anyways:wink:) My car is very mild, and light compared to most TR combos. So, I wondered if my application would be a pass or fail. After the initial install I was (very) concearned this would be WAY to much converter for my mild car. On the first drive I continued to be more impressed by the way it worked and drove. My buddy, who is quite finicky about driveabilty, and overall "sceptical" of non lock up converters, was as impressed as I was. It is a bit loose on initial acceleration, but, after that the converter is all that I had heard about.

So, Sunday I head to the track. Very nice mild November day here in Michigan, it was about 65*. It was an awesome drive, and impressive as well. I removed a very popular lock up converter I wanted to test. My RPM at cruise was within 50 rpm of a lockup unit. 2200 @ 70mph, as opposed to the 2350-2400 I was used to seeing with my old n/l conv, and 2150 was the typical lock up rpm with the last converter I removed. Nice!:cool: At 60 mph, it was just awesome being under 2000 rpm. Nice and quiet in the car. (except for all the wind noise from my rotten seals)
So... I got to the track, and I would like to tell eveyone I ran 3-4 tenths quicker. But, I did not. No big deal. I had to figure the new combo out, and without a cage, they are not very accepting with my antics anymore. So, it was 1/8th mile time. It took me a couple passes to find where the car would launch and not spin. The track I went to is affectionatly know as "La-smear" Dragway, as it can be difficult to hook there unless it is a race program day, or you said alot of prayers the night before.:rolleyes: I got a couple decent 60fts, and a couple spinners. I modified my launch for the day, and I am sure it killed a hint of ET. But,, it was a must as anything over 7 psi resulted in tire spin.
With my new found knowlege, I decided it was time to go for it. Got the car up on about 7 psi, and had some tire spin.:eek: But, stayed in it anyway as it was time to bail. Low and behold, my rpm through the traps was over 500 rpm lower than my old converter!:biggrin: Went through the traps at only 5075, I would always be over 5500 through the traps with my old combo.
Ultimatly, I ended up with my best 60 ft, 1/8th mile, 1/8th mph, 1/4 mile, and 1/4 mph. Not by a bunch, but... better none the less! But, now with out revving my stock cam to the moon to do it!

Thanks Dusty and PTC for a very nice part.!

Brian

Glad it worked well for you Brian. It's really hard to describe how well they drive compared to the old non lock's without experiencing it yourself.

Glad it worked well for you Brian. It's really hard to describe how well they drive compared to the old non lock's without experiencing it yourself.

Yep, drove mine to the track a few times no issues at all.

Lookout for a video of a TSM record holding car cruising down the road soon.:D

Maybe I missed it but what did you end up running? I love mine and have a milder setup as well.

Mine just arrived on the brown truck 30 minutes ago. :D

Thanks Dusty !

DSC078902.jpg

This is exactly what I should have bought the first time...
Since I have the 6265BB I am also curious about why you are ditching it...

Brian must be running a really tall DR 29 or 30 inches tall.
If you run 125mph with 3.42 and 28 inch tall tires you have -slip%.
Can you give us more details please?

I had been running an Art Carr "N" stall conv for years...best I could get was high 10.4's at 130MPH...I've always struggled with my 60fts...also I could have upped the boost but really didn't want to...put in a PTC 9.5 conv and ran back to back 10.3's...10.39 and 10.34 at almost 132 MPH without changing anything else...and that was with crappy 60fts...great converter!

Maybe he was in 4th

John,
I actually do have 275/60/15 28in tall Hoosier drag radials. They are 28in tall, and I get - (negative) slip numbers as well. :eek::smile:
The car was in third through the run. The 4th gear #`s fudge my awesome slip % to death.
Is it even possible to have a converter have that type of slip %?

Brian

This is exactly what I should have bought the first time...
Since I have the 6265BB I am also curious about why you are ditching it...

Well, I found through testing earlier in the year, the car was about 1mph faster in the 1/4 with the old TE-63-1 turbo I have. So, now with the new converter I would like to see if this still holds true.:wink:

The 6265 has a 85 PTE exhaust housing and the 63 has a 63 PTE housing. I thought I would see more top end out of the 6265 than I have. Is it possible that the 85 is to much for my mild combo? And, would I have been better off to go with a 63ex on the 6265? That is a little bit of what I am after here. I know it is not an accurate comparison, but, I want to check it out for curiousity. Since it is basically a "free" mod at this point.

Brian

brian,i lost et and mph with the pte.85,switched to a .63 problem solved, car at the time had mildly ported stock heads and intake with a stock cam.like to see the .63 on your car to compare.i am running the 62/65bb but with a .63,i was on the fence about the .85, just because it spools so good, guess you never know untill you swap and test.

Well, I found through testing earlier in the year, the car was about 1mph faster in the 1/4 with the old TE-63-1 turbo I have. So, now with the new converter I would like to see if this still holds true.:wink:

The 6265 has a 85 PTE exhaust housing and the 63 has a 63 PTE housing. I thought I would see more top end out of the 6265 than I have. Is it possible that the 85 is to much for my mild combo? And, would I have been better off to go with a 63ex on the 6265? That is a little bit of what I am after here. I know it is not an accurate comparison, but, I want to check it out for curiousity. Since it is basically a "free" mod at this point.

Brian

want to try a 6776 RSP?

Bob