Torque converter "unlocks" on its own, at highway speeds on cooler days. East coast.

brandnu6

Hello everyone. Hope all is well. So, driving on the highway the other day, in overdrive, converter locked-up, and for no apparent reason, it "unlocked!" I am going to replace TCC solenoid. However, I read somewhere that the coolant temperature has something to do with the operation of converter clutch. Also, that the chip plays a role as well. I have "Turbo Tweak's" chip and injectors. I read that it, [the chip] has a preset temp for the unlocking the converter. I also read that "overcooling" can be an issue as well. My engine failed last year. It has just been rebuilt "Zimmerman Racing." The oil was contaminated. As a result, I had to replace everything, including the radiator. I ended up with a "Cold Case" Aluminum unit. I also have cold air intake with cone filter near the ground behind the bumper. Also "Precision" stretch I.C. Also. Like most, a 160' T-Stat. The next time I drive the car, I will set "scan master" to monitor "coolant temps." I read that somewhere at or below 145-150 degrees, converter will unlock! Which could be a nuisance on cooler/cold days. I'm wondering if Eric can decrease "set point" on chip, so that when it's 45-50 degrees outside, it won't be an issue, because coolant temps, in the engine are much cooler as well. Causing converter to "unlock!" As compared to Summertime, when outside temps are much higher, it won't be an issue. As long as it does not have a negative impact with drivability. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks very much...

Hello everyone. Hope all is well. So, driving on the highway the other day, in overdrive, converter locked-up, and for no apparent reason, it "unlocked!" I am going to replace TCC solenoid. However, I read somewhere that the coolant temperature has something to do with the operation of converter clutch. Also, that the chip plays a role as well. I have "Turbo Tweak's" chip and injectors. I read that it, [the chip] has a preset temp for the unlocking the converter. I also read that "overcooling" can be an issue as well. My engine failed last year. It has just been rebuilt "Zimmerman Racing." The oil was contaminated. As a result, I had to replace everything, including the radiator. I ended up with a "Cold Case" Aluminum unit. I also have cold air intake with cone filter near the ground behind the bumper. Also "Precision" stretch I.C. Also. Like most, a 160' T-Stat. The next time I drive the car, I will set "scan master" to monitor "coolant temps." I read that somewhere at or below 145-150 degrees, converter will unlock! Which could be a nuisance on cooler/cold days. I'm wondering if Eric can decrease "set point" on chip, so that when it's 45-50 degrees outside, it won't be an issue, because coolant temps, in the engine are much cooler as well. Causing converter to "unlock!" As compared to Summertime, when outside temps are much higher, it won't be an issue. As long as it does not have a negative impact with drivability. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks very much...
We run cooler than 160 degrees in cooler weather times and running on e85
But......
Nobody fast here runs a lockup😉

Contact eric if your going to stay lockup
See what he thinks as your running his chip.
Also when ibh used a lockup in a years ago. In a galaxy far far away I did not have your issue.