Power Steering Pump - Aluminum Pump from Another GM Car?

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Looking for an aluminum version of our reverse-rotation pump! Surely an aluminum version from another GM car/truck is somewhere out there? Note: Most all reverse rotation pumps have smooth pulleys for back side of the serpentine belt. My LS3 equipped G8 GXP will not work...grooved pulley.
Conrad

The pump was designed specifically for the application in this case Conrad. It's basically the same pump we've used on the dirt track cars and if I remember right the only other option was off a postal van, but it was cast iron and not aluminum.

I have talked with Chis (Info@JonesRacingProducts.com) at Jones Racing Products about this application. He has been REAL helpful in educating me on our pump!

They have a real nice GM Type II aluminum pump that they can reverse-rotate for a charge. Their pump will bolt up to our existing brackets! They also sell several different aluminum reservoirs. The one that I really like attaches to the pump but it will not work on TR's that have A/C compressor in OEM location since the compressor and the reservoir try to occupy the same location. So, I'm thinking about their aluminum pump and remote aluminum reservoir and my aluminum pulley.

Doing my due diligence to be sure there isn't a readily available OEM aluminum version of our TR pump before I pull the trigger.
Conrad

Granted it was a SBC but we spent a lot of time looking at the different pumps trying to find one that would work in the same location as the TR pump. Never found one out of aluminum and the only one that was even close was the RWD postal van with the 2.5 in it.

I've been interested in the same upgrade myself... please keep us posted if Chris is able to provide something that works... I'd be all over it, especially if it was already modified to accept AN hoses and fittings...
John A, Turbohh

John,
Jones Racing can fix you up with a nice aluminum, reverse rotation pump with all the needed AN fittings and a nice remote reservoir! Contact Chris at the address listed above.

Are you still running A/C? If not, they have a really neat set-up with aluminum reservoir attached to the pump!! It looks killer with powdercoated reservoir. Otherwise, that really neat alumium pump will be mostly hiden by the A/C compressor!
Conrad
ps...their catalog does not mention a pump for our cars. They can, however, take care of our powersteering pump needs.

John,
Jones Racing can fix you up with a nice aluminum, reverse rotation pump with all the needed AN fittings and a nice remote reservoir! Contact Chris at the address listed above.

Are you still running A/C? If not, they have a really neat set-up with aluminum reservoir attached to the pump!! It looks killer with powdercoated reservoir. Otherwise, that really neat alumium pump will be mostly hiden by the A/C compressor!
Conrad
ps...their catalog does not mention a pump for our cars. They can, however, take care of our powersteering pump needs.
Have you checked DSE? They have pumps that are suppose to fit.

According to DSE's web site under G-Bodys they have a cast iron pump with plastic reservoir for $175 (PN 091001).

I can tell you that this item will not fit our TR due to interference between their reservoir and our A/C compressor. They don't mention reverse rotation...only that it is compatible with Vintage Air's FrontRunner which is made for SBC, not our V6. They are probably thinking about a Monte Carlo!
Conrd

Conrad,
Thanks for the info... I'll definitely give them a call when I'm ready to make the change.
John A, Turbohh

Charlief1,
saw a post on another site that indicated GM LT1 engines utilized reverse rotation Type 2 PS pumps. Know anything about that? Anyone else?
Conrad

Just looked at my LT1 camaro, the pump is definitely reverse rotation. It is hard to get to, but I believe it is aluminum. And, as stated above, has a remote reservoir

According to DSE's web site under G-Bodys they have a cast iron pump with plastic reservoir for $175 (PN 091001).

I can tell you that this item will not fit our TR due to interference between their reservoir and our A/C compressor. They don't mention reverse rotation...only that it is compatible with Vintage Air's FrontRunner which is made for SBC, not our V6. They are probably thinking about a Monte Carlo!
Conrd
Conrad,

The DSE's pumps are Not reverse rotation either! We found out the hard way when a customer bought one and had to return everything back to DSE because they didn't have or offer it in reverse rotation... I took it for granted that they new about our pumps.

I ordered a new Jones Racing reverse rotation aluminum pump with powder-coated square remote aluminum reservoir from Chris 2 days ago. Should be here next week. FWIW (owner) Chris Jones is a super guy to deal with!
Conrad
ps...will use existing billet pulley. Jones can supply pulley upon request! Pump bolts to our bracket.

I ordered a new Jones Racing reverse rotation aluminum pump with powder-coated square remote aluminum reservoir from Chris 2 days ago. Should be here next week. FWIW (owner) Chris Jones is a super guy to deal with!
Conrad
ps...will use existing billet pulley. Jones can supply pulley upon request! Pump bolts to our bracket.
Could you post a pic or two of the new pump and reservoir? Please

Lee Manufacturing is another good company for custom steering. This is my compact 670 box with 12.7:1 ratio, an aluminum (reverse rotation) TC pump, and finned aluminum reservoir.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1376706873.104304.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Photos are attached.
ConradGN-Jones PS Pump.jpg

Attachments

• GN-Jones PS Pump-1.jpg
    GN-Jones PS Pump-1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 428
  • GN-Jones PS Pump-2.jpg
    GN-Jones PS Pump-2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 611
  • GN-Jones PS Pump-3.jpg