power plate Question

Sure it would be better, if implemented correctly. On the other hand, if it costs 10-20 times as much as a Plate for somewhat less than that performance improvement, how many stock block guys will go for it? :)

Be nice if it happens, tho.

"Of course, no one ever said the Hemco was a restrictor."

I have a hemco race intake and yes it is a restrictor, and no one has ever said it wasn't!

It looks to also be a restrictor, the middle is a very small opening.

Originally posted by Hyper
"Of course, no one ever said the Hemco was a restrictor."

I have a hemco race intake and yes it is a restrictor, and no one has ever said it wasn't!

It looks to also be a restrictor, the middle is a very small opening.

All Hemcos I have seen, including a 70MM have a middle opening larger in area than that of a 70mm TB. I do not know if it is a restrictor or not, how could it be? How large is the ID of your turbo compressor outlet bet it's smaller that 70mm?
The Hemco does decrease the area to draw air from, but considering the air is under pressure is this a problem?
Who knows, heck I don't? Just some thoughts.

Hi

Bob we live very close to each other, I live outside of columbus ga and I go ATV riding in tuskegee sometimes. We need to meet someday.

heres a ?

why would you be worried if it is a restrictor, most turbo use a 2 inch outlet and as long as the plate has more actual open area than your t-bdy the throttle body is the smallest part of the equation, no i have a 70 mm t-body and 3inch piping on my car so when the throttle is open it is the same size opening from teh turbo to the pp so there should be no restriction as long as the PP has more open are than the overall diameter of your smallest pipe, as long as the openings are 70mm or most total there shoould be no restriction just redirection of air.
Otto

I have 3" IC pipes and a 3" outlet on my turbo but use the Jay Jackson setup..NO PLATE...Sheetmetal Mease Intake is on the way...

"Restrictor"

You folks keep saying "it's not a restriction, the compressor discharge (or the throttle body, or... ) has a smaller area. The fact that there are smaller areas in other parts of the flow path DOES NOT keep an obstruction from being a "restrictor", not in a compressible fluid like air. If you measured the pressure at the turbo housing, you will find it is the highest of any point in the flow path. There is a pressure drop through the IC, through the up/down piping, through the throttle body, etc. on down to and including the intake valves. If there were no pressure differential there would be no flow. The "best" intake manifold will minimize this pressure drop, while providing the same flow to each cylinder. The more pressure the turbo has to put out, the higher the exhaust backpressure from the turbine, and the higher the temp of the air to the IC, so the intake system, including the heads and valves, should be set up to minimize restrictions/pressure drop. Pressure in the cylinder is what makes power, not pressure at the turbo.

Originally posted by Race Jace
Let me explain a little more about what Ryan said here so it makes more sense. He sometimes abbreviates stuff a little too much. I was at Vegas when he did this.

He drove the car down from Utah bolted his slicks on, dumped the race gas in, and opened the fender well dump that he has on the car that allows the exhaust a straight shot out of the turbo to the top of the front tire area. He had the boost set at a steady 25lbs with closed exhaust. When he uncaps this dump his boost always increases due to the elimination of backpressure. He guessed that it would increase a few pounds and backed his waste gate rod off to lower the boost to compensate. He went up to the line and made his first pass. His car felt very strong but about the 1000-foot mark it actually started chugging. At the same time he glanced at the boost gage and it was pegged on the needle stop. Of course he instantly let off. When he got back to the pits he told me the story. We replayed the otc data and it reveled 30 deg knock retard through most of the run. He turned the boost down and made several more passes and I believe ended up being runner up in his bracket.

This run was a mistake on his part. He did not do it on purpose. Did the power plate prevent him from blowing his head gaskets? He is convinced of that. The point he was trying to make was he sure was glad he had the power plate insurance during that run.

i can vouch for this because i have done the same thing with my car...several times i have goofed up and mis-adjusted the boost to higher levels than normal...i once accidently ran 25 lbs on my stock turbo and i knocked 14 degrees with a high timing race chip...no blown headgasket? hmmmmm weird maybe the powerplate prevented it...also one time with the te-44 turbo i ran 25 lbs of boost which was a little too much for my octane (i accidently mixed 118 and 89) knocked 10 degrees there...no blown headgasket? wow got lucky again? i have knocked numerous times trying to tune the damn thing but nothing major over 7 degrees...i honestly believe the powerplate does it job in distributing the air evenly to all cylinders otherwise i guarantee i would have blown the back two cylinders a LONG time ago...this is all on a higher mileage motor too...no i don't have any internal problems with the motor now...but could have

All i can say is that i am on the 3rd set of headgaskets. Because i like to get as much as i can out of the car when i am tuning. So i have a precision upper and a pp coming. So hopefully i won't have this problem again because this is getting old. Yes i might blow another one but it doesn't hurt to spend the extra $60 for the pp compare to $80 a pop for headgaskets.

After pulling my heads and seeing the 2 middle cylinders are potentially running lean, I am pitching the race Hemco and going with a precision upper and AD plate. I guess I will see how it works.

I think with Jason and Dave Bamfords results, all you skeptics can go home packing.

thats what i got, and it works awesome!

PTE upper, RJC plate, ACCUFAB 70MM, thats the combo:cool:

great stuff

I don't know much of the technical stuff but I used to get 18# boost with 0 knock using 94 octane, then I installed the Powerplate and got 20#, zero knock, no other mods. It works, plain and simple. Great product.

Ravi

Ive had the Power Plate on my car since Febuary. Upon initial start-up the engine ran incredibly smoother. Im also convinced the Plate has saved my head gaskets on the street a few times when running pump gas around town. I havnt done any back to back track testing, but after seeing in person "the Plate" in action from Jason's demo at last years Vegas event, and the positive results I had on my car so far, Im not taking it off any time soon.:)

Thanks Jason for innovating great products :) By the way the Billet pulleys I ordered a few weeks ago are top notch, they look sweet on the Buick;)

Originally posted by Hyper
"This thread, alone, is full of testimonials from guys who have actually proven its performance on the track as well as the dyno"

wow how many 6? that's alot. Please call the guys like LC, Jack Cotton, KD, and ask them if it is worth the metal if is made of. Then you will see the correct answer to this.

I said I wasn't going to post anymore on this and I did only because you all made me!:mad:

O.K. I'll bite. I can send you logs from my FAST showing what the computer was doing between the Hemco Race and the Precision plenum/RJC plate. Hemco pulling 5-10% and RJC Adding 4-10%. Same program, same engine, different #'s.

Made more power, in fact I went 131.89 MPH with 26psi. But, from other posts it would not be possible, because it is restrictive.

P.S. To all, EGT measured at the turbo will not show lean cylinders. As with the W02 will not show lean cylinders/rich cylinders. We are averaging these #'s. There is enough proof evident at this point. But hey it's your engines and your time.

I just don't know, After reading about Hypers extensive testing, Hands on with leading vendors and product innovations. I say if we could just botlle up Hypers Scream into a ten lb. bottle, who would need a turbo. And this has been proven through this thread of forced bull crap!

this damn tread is done, why must everyone bring it back up?

I bought a power plate and I put it on the car. Did it help? cant tell

Sold the car and I dont have a buick anymore after 17 years of ownership because the Real buick guys are all about gone.

I was one of the first buick owners on here under a different name.

I now have a chevy 1967 Camaro Blown so I dont see not reason to put a power plate on it.

Let this dye and move on!

EGT.

Ted, I agree that a single point EGT test would not prove much, but I don't think that's what was suggested. (Well, maybe by a couple of posts!) The best test would be to have all six cylinders EGT, before and after the power plate. Almost as good would be just two cylinders, number 6 and number 1, before and after. I would expect to see number 6 much higher before, and if the PP is doing its job, the two would be closer together after installation. That would counter the (weak) argument that the PP is a restriction, is lowering EGT by making the engine run richer. If, instead, it is making number 1 run a little leaner, and number 6 a little richer (which would be my prediction) then we would PROVE that the PP corrects an air flow problem. Of course, there would be some who wouldn't believe that proof.. but there is a "Flat Earth Society".. What can I say?

Re: EGT.

Originally posted by Ormand
That would counter the (weak) argument that the PP is a restriction, is lowering EGT by making the engine run richer. Of course, there would be some who wouldn't believe that proof.. but there is a "Flat Earth Society".. What can I say?

LOL- :D
hey TED, were you refering to the pissing match i got into?

hey HYPER, you got a link to your blown camaro, id like to see it?
THANKS

BW

Uh.... maybe it's just me, but hasn't a 6 band EGT -already been posted- for these things? It's a rhetorical question. Don't answer it. It HAS BEEN DONE. Evened all cylinders to within 50* of each other, and dropped the overall EGT some. I don't remember seeing a/f from a wb02 along with it (maybe it was there, who knows) to see if it was lowering overall EGT just by being richer overall, but the way EGT works it depends on where you are on the A/F scale on whether your EGT goes up or down when you add fuel (too crazy rich and adding fuel will raise EGT as you burn more fuel in the exhaust). Yet, the powerplate always -lowers- EGT's in my experience, no matter where you are in the rich/lean spectrum. I suspect it lowers overall EGT from the balancing effect. I can't remember if the 6 band EGT was in this thread or a different one, but it's out there. use the search feature, you'll bump into it.