power plate Question

they have been a few on here lately for sale as more people are taking them off. I dont know why but I have seen about 10 people remove them because it didn't help there cars. I dont have one but i wanted one if it works. Now I will have to watch and listen to see if it is just another smoke screen money maker!

I was able to run 1# more boost, and it noticeably improved my idle. Works great with alcohol injection

Originally posted by Hyper
I dont know why but I have seen about 10 people remove them because it didn't help there cars.

I'm interested in knowing why these 10 guys removed it also.

I would like to know why they remove them, I seen a statment by one of them that said it didnt help his car. If anyone reads this tread that has removed his power plate please post why. I was/am planning on buying one soon. But if it doesn't work I dont want to spend the money. Does anyone have track results with it on and without it? we need to know.:confused:

I too would like to know why 10 guys have taken them off. I have seen one and it sure looks like it blocks alot of air instead of re-directing it.

uummm, Jason has one on his car and has some comparison data.....been posted earlier...check archives

lowered my egt about 20* at wot on my car

it doesn't "block" any air, just redirects more air to front cylinders......rear cylinders normally get too much air and lean out quicker than the fronts

Since Jason took one 9.90 I think it is safe to assume our 12 sec slugs will not experience restricted airflow

Power Plate

Before instalation 18# 1 degree knock with xylene. After instaling PP 21# and no knock, with xylene. Also a much better idle.

John

i removed mine

i removed mine cause it helped increased knock. when i remove it, i found out why. my motor was sucking oil thru the PVC valve and it was landing on the plate. then when i get some boost going it was easily blown into the cyclinders and reduced my octane rating.
SOOOooooo, the plate wasnt causing knock rather the oil in the intake charge was. but the plate was just helping it get airborn.
i remove the plate. installed a mini air compressor filter in the PVC line and now i am catching most of the oil.
i saw a knock reduction when i pulled the plate but an even bigger change when i keep the oil out of the intake manifold.

drew

I did a comparison of plugs before and after, and before the plate, #5 and #6 were running -mega- hot and lean, much more worn than my other plugs. After the plate, the same plugs run super rich, and I noticed a decent ammount of carbon on the suckers but they were still firing, not fouled. The plate does what it's advertised to do, and I did notice a reduction in KR. I think a modified doghouse might work better but it's significantly more $. The bang for the buck on the RJCPP is awesome, imho.

I went to reynolds this yearand was running consistantly 13.04 -13.10 in the quarter,all day friday .Made two runs saturday with the same times.I put the plate on and never made a run less than 13.3 the rest of the weekend.You tell me.I still have it on the car but will prob soon take it out for the nesxt test and tune in gainsville.It is not hurting anything so I am leaving it in for now.MY knock on the street has decreased but I think the new thrasher street chip I have installed did more to help than the plate.There you go actual data....it slowed me down 3 tenths in my quarter mile.

I'm torn, I run 21psi on pump gas no alky no xylene and get about 2' of knock. Put the plate on a still had 2 degrees of knock. The design makes sense, my only question is why isn't there any angle on the edge like an orfice plate?

ok, I did it !

I took off the power plate yesterday. Before the plate, my GN would spool quick and pull hard with only 2* knock @ WOT.
After the plate, the engine feels ok on the launch, but didn't pull as strong at mid range & top end. I didn't take it to the track, but overall street performance was not up to par. I don't want to do more tuning to make it work. The combo I have now is enough to have fun and be presentable on the street.

I going to save the plate for now and maybe put it back on when I get more mods.

James