Post from the BIMMERFORUMS today

peteraq1

Grand National is insane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well yesterday was the day my family does tomato sauce. Long story short its an italian tradition cuz we cant stand that RAGU **** and so we just go pick a ton of tomatoes and then make homemade sauce out of it. anyway, my soon to be uncle comes to help out, and he has a grand national. Now this car is pretty to me, and i knew he had it worked a little bit, so we were talking cars for a while about it. Well it turns out he has it worked so that it runs 10.5 1/4 on street tires, and its street legal. I was like that is insane. So we finish the sauce and he goes hey u wanna go for a ride? im like hell yea!
so we go out to get in and He goes "let me start it for you and you can drive" im like oh ok. Well as it turns out we are cruising around talking about the car, he says the turbo can produce up to 30 pounds of boost and right at the time he had it set to 17 pounds. Im just running around my town shredding the tires. when lo and behold, on a 3 lane road with signals, when i took the middle lane, 2 cars come on either side of me.

I look each way and an 03 cobra is on one side with some punk with his hat sideways... and on the other ...an 05 vette. i guess they were flirting with each other before they got to me, but they come up and start revvin it up. So i look at my soon to be uncle with a sort of "would you mind..." look and he just goes "smoke these chumps" The light turns green and i went easy on the throttle till bout 40 and then thumped it, and put those cars in the dust. it seemed instantaneous that the stock speedo was pinned at 85 as im still planted in my seat. We come to the next light and those guys are yelling at me about how they wanna go again...i oblige...same result..the car just flies.i decided to return home after that run.

i have driven my share of speedy cars but this was by far the scariest thing i have sat behind the wheel of. when we finished and got home he showed me the video of his car running that 10.5 sec 1/4 at 128 mph! it was insane. then he showed me a video of him on slicks, whole front end up in the air, chassis twisting and begging for forgiveness. needless to say, i want that car...

cliffs: grand national puts a whoopin on a vette and a blown mustang cobra, and makes me wet myself because of the sheer power of the gas pedal.

lol better not ride in it again or he will be coming to the dark side for sure!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Go to the Bimmerforums and check out the post now. Its created quite the uproar. 4 pages worth.

lol at least most of them know what a gn is. Some of them are fuzzy on the specs but they all seem to respect them for the most part. The bimmers are a lot better handling car in the twists but we didn't buy ours for road racing lol. Unless its a straight line!!! Then its on like donkey knog :biggrin: :biggrin:

From the BMW forum:

"In case anyone is wondering;

There are three car in similar trim,
Regal T-type (Looked like a regular regal)
Grand National (T-type with exterior/interior mods, all painted black)
GNX (Limited production, faster GN designed to go 200mph)

REGAL T-TYPE- Based off of the buick regal using a 3.8 liter, 2 valve per cylender, pushrod v6 mated to a th700 4 speed trans. Power came via a single garret turbo, efi (later) or tbi (earlier), and a front mount intercooler. Later T-types made 180 hp and were made from 1978 to 1987.

GRAND NATIONAL- Based off the T-type. Included interior and exterior modifications. All were painted black from front to back. Most came in the form of a 3.8 single turbo but some early models came as a 4.1 liter v6 which made far less power. Later models reached 245hp. Made from 1985-87. There were also a few t-turbo GN's made which offered some exterior modifications.

GNX- Based off of the GN, ran a 13+ sec 1/4 stock. They were built by McLaren and had a ceramic t4 garret turbo. Also used a different trans than the regular GN. Claimed 275 hp but was actually closer to 400. Some examples with twin turbo setups have made in excess of 1200 hp. Buick Originally designed the car to have 600hp and to be the first production car to reach 200 mph but deamed it unfeasable as the car was too unaerodynamic. Still it was the fastest car produced in america until the z71 corvette.

(edit; Sorry for the long post but there seamed to be some confusion)"

I'm glad he set them straight. :rolleyes: Is this how rumors get started?

need boost said:
lol at least most of them know what a gn is. Some of them are fuzzy on the specs but they all seem to respect them for the most part. The bimmers are a lot better handling car in the twists but we didn't buy ours for road racing lol. Unless its a straight line!!! Then its on like donkey knog :biggrin: :biggrin:
I just tell these Tuner Punks this;

Tuner Punk-" My car handles better around bends and stuff and your car is no match for mine!"

Me- " Yeah your right! But you better be haulin' ass around that bend cause when it ends I'm going to be passing you again. So I hope you can enjoy the possibility of being ahead for a second or so. As long as thats enough for you, a second." :D

Its is nice to see those guys over at bimmerforums.com not sticking their noses up at the story or the cars we enjoy... I love my TR but hand me a 97 BMW 850ci with a 5.4-liter SOHC 24-valve V12 with 322hp @ 5,000 rpm and 361 lb-ft of torque @ 3,900 rpm and a 5-speed automatic transmission and I would have just as much fun! Hell... strap a turbo to that baby and I would be in heaven! :biggrin:

Uhhh, lemme ask my friend's brother's girlfriends stepdad...he has pics of the car in question.

Ill tell ya what, my daily driver is a bmw 3 series..and it handles GREAT... though, in the gn's defense, it can be made to handle VERY good. if you do your normal susp. mods, (of course, ALL the bushings, and frame brace kits) along with the 1le close ratio steering box, and g force t/a kd tires, you're handling DAM good at that point. In fact, id put it up against my bmw any day of the week. Though, my gn would whoop many bmws unmerciful though. But ill tell ya what, the late 90's M3's are just plain sweet...

Ill say this..that when I was reading thru their posts.. our old grampa buicks got a LOT of complements :) Made me feel good. Though I drive a bmw as well, and I like em too. But those 40 dollar per spark plug wire tune ups are killin me.. I think im gonna trade her in for a new supercharged regal ;)

I had a BMW for a while too....a daily driver 2000 740il - a great car, I put 50k miles on it in 2 years and averaged 19.7 mpg with a continuously monitored average speed over that distance travelled of 41mph (gotta love the trip computers and the insane highway driving I did!) I was running out of CPO warranty before I ran out of miles so I traded it for a Z71 Suburban that has greatly improved towing capacity for bringing Buicks home! :D

The Bimmer is the only import vehicle I've every cared for. I'm not much up which modal is best etc, I simply just like the looks of most all bimmers.

This quote says it all.

"I know of these cars very well. Its does say 3.8 SFI (split fire injection) on the hood scoop" :D