Pleeeaaassssse Help Me

bobthabuilder

can someone please help me with a couple of questions i have... 1st is...

i own a 1982 buick regal, i'm converting it to a grand national. i have everything for the body, & i just put the motor in. it is out of a 1986 grand national along with the trans, i have the wire harness, along with the computer. is there anyone out there that knows what i need? i know i have to change the fuel pump. right now i have everything just sitting in the car i haven't yet tried to start it. i wanna make sure everything is perfect. so i was wonderring is there anything else i would need to do to get it to work & well to get it to run like a grand national. i would really apperciate the help. thank you for taking the time to read this. :confused:

bobthabuilder said:
can someone please help me with a couple of questions i have... 1st is...

i own a 1982 buick regal, i'm converting it to a grand national. i have everything for the body, & i just put the motor in. it is out of a 1986 grand national along with the trans, i have the wire harness, along with the computer. is there anyone out there that knows what i need? i know i have to change the fuel pump. right now i have everything just sitting in the car i haven't yet tried to start it. i wanna make sure everything is perfect. so i was wonderring is there anything else i would need to do to get it to work & well to get it to run like a grand national. i would really apperciate the help. thank you for taking the time to read this. :confused:
Your going to need a TR fuel tank and sender. Also you will need to get an ALDL harness for under the dash if you want to run a scan tool unless you go directly off the ecm. What type of a fan setup do you have? That will need to be addressed if it hasnt been already. Did you switch rears also? You may need a driveshaft? I didnt see any mention of it in your post. You will need an exhaust for a TR also.

have a couple of more questions for you

bison said:
Your going to need a TR fuel tank and sender. Also you will need to get an ALDL harness for under the dash if you want to run a scan tool unless you go directly off the ecm. What type of a fan setup do you have? That will need to be addressed if it hasnt been already. Did you switch rears also? You may need a driveshaft? I didnt see any mention of it in your post. You will need an exhaust for a TR also.

ok these are the questions i have for you... 1st what is tr fuel tank? & 2nd what is the ALDL harness? i have the drive shaft & the rear end.. i was thinking to use a electric fan, could i use that? i have the piping already ran. (DUALS) i have flo masters 2 chamber. is that alright for that set up? i also have a 1983 t-type. i just bought it. i was thinking of useing it for parts. is there anything i can take off of that & put on the car i'm making a GN? i apperciate you getting bck 2 me. THANKS!!! :biggrin:

TR Fuel tank = Turbo Regal fuel tank... meaning the fuel tank out of either a t-typeor a grandnational... theyre different than the regular non-turbo regal tanks. The ALDL harness is a little wiring harness that goes from your ECM (computer) and ends in a little plug that is mounted under the radio pod in stock GNs. I think ALDL stands for assembly line data link, or something like that. Essentially it lets you hook up a scan tool to your computer to monitor what is going on. This lets you see what error codes (if any) are stored in the ECM, as well as a LOT of other information that is priceless when it comes to tuning your car. Since it's generally accepted that a scan-tool of some sort is a neccesity on these cars, then making sure you put an ALDL harness into your car would be as well (though there are some types of scan-tool that attach directly to the ECM, i believe). Check out this link for info on the ALDL port and the ECM in general... http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/ecmpage.html that site, GNTType.org, has TONS of useful information on these cars... if you havent checked it out before, do so now, youll be glad you did. Also, if you go to Casperselectronics.com they sell TONS of electrical components for our cars, including an ALDL port splice https://www.casperselectronics.com/...duct_Code=108006&Category_Code=8687GN_splices

Not only that, but Casper's has a very helpful customer service staff, and those guys know their stuff... if you have any questions about TR wiring, call them, they'll set you right.

As far as the electric fan goes, that would be fine, assuming it moves enough air. You can even have it wired in to your ECM so the computer controls when it turns on and off (this was done stock on the 86/87 GN's). Caspers can help you with a harness to wire your fans into the ECM (assuming you have an ECM from an 86/87, as the 84/85 TR's did not come with electric fans).

check inside the 83, I believe it has an aldl plug under the dash, near to the radio. :cool:

Where are you located? I can be reached @ 312-887-1950 or 630-965-1987. I 'll try to help you as much as I can.

Prasad

FlaBoy said:
TR Fuel tank = Turbo Regal fuel tank... meaning the fuel tank out of either a t-typeor a grandnational... theyre different than the regular non-turbo regal tanks. The ALDL harness is a little wiring harness that goes from your ECM (computer) and ends in a little plug that is mounted under the radio pod in stock GNs. I think ALDL stands for assembly line data link, or something like that. Essentially it lets you hook up a scan tool to your computer to monitor what is going on. This lets you see what error codes (if any) are stored in the ECM, as well as a LOT of other information that is priceless when it comes to tuning your car. Since it's generally accepted that a scan-tool of some sort is a neccesity on these cars, then making sure you put an ALDL harness into your car would be as well (though there are some types of scan-tool that attach directly to the ECM, i believe). Check out this link for info on the ALDL port and the ECM in general... http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/ecmpage.html that site, GNTType.org, has TONS of useful information on these cars... if you havent checked it out before, do so now, youll be glad you did. Also, if you go to Casperselectronics.com they sell TONS of electrical components for our cars, including an ALDL port splice https://www.casperselectronics.com/...duct_Code=108006&Category_Code=8687GN_splices

Not only that, but Casper's has a very helpful customer service staff, and those guys know their stuff... if you have any questions about TR wiring, call them, they'll set you right.

As far as the electric fan goes, that would be fine, assuming it moves enough air. You can even have it wired in to your ECM so the computer controls when it turns on and off (this was done stock on the 86/87 GN's). Caspers can help you with a harness to wire your fans into the ECM (assuming you have an ECM from an 86/87, as the 84/85 TR's did not come with electric fans).
Thanks FlaBoy. If possible i would retain as much of the 86-87 TR factory fan set up as possible. Caspers will be able too build any harness you might need. Im sure you will run into several dilemmas when doing this conversion that we havent mentioned. Just post when you do.

If you plan on using the THM200-4R than you're going to need to do something with the 82 frame. There is no provision on the right side of that year of frame for the correct crossmember. You can buy a kit but it needs to be welded. If the 83 frame is from a T-Type than it should have the correct mounting bracket there as the 83 turbo car was the first year of the THM200-4R in a G-body.

whats the diffrence

turbofish38 said:
If you plan on using the THM200-4R than you're going to need to do something with the 82 frame. There is no provision on the right side of that year of frame for the correct crossmember. You can buy a kit but it needs to be welded. If the 83 frame is from a T-Type than it should have the correct mounting bracket there as the 83 turbo car was the first year of the THM200-4R in a G-body.

what is the diffrence between the 82 body & the 83 body? i had a 350 corvette motor, board 30 over. but i had to take it out cause it couldn't pass smog. i'm useing just for a street car, i'm not planning on racing it. but if you have any addvice on hooking up the motor or getting it to work, please feel free to help me out. but i don't think i'm going to change anything to the frame. thanks anyways :confused:

bobthabuilder said:
what is the diffrence between the 82 body & the 83 body? i had a 350 corvette motor, board 30 over. but i had to take it out cause it couldn't pass smog. i'm useing just for a street car, i'm not planning on racing it. but if you have any addvice on hooking up the motor or getting it to work, please feel free to help me out. but i don't think i'm going to change anything to the frame. thanks anyways :confused:
There is no mount in the 82 for a 200-4r crossmember. This was a good point. The 200C/350C crossmember can be modified to use the 200-4r if you can weld. Keep the trans mount at the same height or you will effect the driveshaft angle.

My .02 is to think this thru several times, make a 4 page list of everything you need, and then consider buying a GN and saving several thousand dollars and headaches. Been there done that. I did it to an 84, and still spent way too much time and way to much money in the process. That said, if you have all the parts: vapor canister, fuel relays, fuel lines (3) C shaped plug for the firewall, etc. etc. etc, then maybe it would be a good year to two year project for you, but MAKE A LIST AND POST IT FOR US, AND THEN WE WILL TELL YOU ALL THE STUFF YOU WILL NEED that you might not have realized or considered. You will need several things like a VSS, boost gauge, etc, etc, etc. Good Luck!! TK
P.S. I would do it all over again if that option was given to me.

If the harness isn't installed yet, It would be a good idea to check all connectors for corrosion etc, and check all sensors for missing tabs and put a little dielectric grease on them. One bad connection whether it be a ground or sensor can turn this into a real nightmare for you. At the very least pull the spark plugs and check them, or replace. Also resistance on coil towers and plug wires. The fuel return line would be a major need before trying to fire it up. Might want to re set the cam sensor, and prime the engine if it has sat or had the oil filter off. I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more, but then so will you.

conversion

Where are you located? I did this to my 83 12 years ago but I used the dash harness from an 87 (along with everything else) on my car. If you are not set on having your 82 cluster it will be much easier with the newer stuff.

ATEURV8 said:
Where are you located? I did this to my 83 12 years ago but I used the dash harness from an 87 (along with everything else) on my car. If you are not set on having your 82 cluster it will be much easier with the newer stuff.
I agree with this. It would be easier to switch out the entire dash.

bison said:
I agree with this. It would be easier to switch out the entire dash.

ok i understand its a waist of time. but i think i like the headache. but i was wondering this.. is it a must that i change the tanks or can i just run a return line? what would happen if i didn't put the mount for the crossmember? just wanting to know also if i didn't what problems am i chancing? (if i didn't put the mounts) thanks for all the great help you guys have been. :confused:

Tank

On my 83 I used the existing lines that were on the car, the mechanical pump had a return line. If your 82 does not you need to run some sort of return line back to the tank because the fuel pressure will go sky high if you just plug the return. I used my stock tank for a short time with a high pressure inline fuel pump and the car did run just fine as long as the tank was mostly full. The fuel injected tanks have baffels in them to keep the fuel near the pickup while turning and accelerating. With the stock tank in your 82 there are no baffels and it will suck air while turning when the level gets as low as about half a tank. as far as the trans mount, I think a 200r4 is the same length as a 200c or a 350c trans (someone jump in and correct me if wrong) I put the original trans out of my 83 in a 59 chevy pickup for a guy (in place of a muncie m20 car trans) last fall and used the same cross member. The 700r4 he had would not because the drive shaft was too long to use and the cross member was in the wrong place, but worked fine with my old 2004r. I say try it if you have everything there. :biggrin:

The 82 NA Regal only has a fuel feed and a vapor line. You would have to install the return line. EFI cars run flare and tube nuts as worm clamps may not be able to handle the PSI. You can get the fuel line and hose kits from the vendors.

The money pit seems to be bottomless at this point. :eek:

tank

By the way when I had the original tank with the inline pump I had the 84 sfi setup in the 83. So I assume that with the 87 stuff making more power it might be even more of a problem. I think the 4.3 tbi injected monties had a baffled tank but I don't remember for sure. If so it would be easy to find one of those. :biggrin: