please help!

TURBOTERRORV6

The Street killer V6
Hello guys, me and a fellow buick budy, recently worked on a 87 buick motor. We pulled the motor out due to two blown headgasket. We decided to take out the whole engine out the car and work on it freely.. We machined the heads, which included a resurface of the heads,valve job,new valves.springs. We added a set of ARP stud kit,felpro headgasket,and throughly clean the whole motor due to the milk it had from the blown head gasket. We also swapped a New Zo6 cam from cotton,with a new double roller timing chain,new lifters, ect.. We prelube according to specs.. After dropping in the motor into the GN tonight, we are having a difficult time adjusting timing on this motor, basically we are clueless with this cam sensor adjusting ect.. basically how do you adjust spark timing??? pictures, info links,ect, will highly be appreciated,thanks guys...

I'm assuming this is a turbo buick motor. In that case you don't adjust the timing, it's done by the ecu. Go to Turbo Regal Web Site and look up the procedures to set the cam sensor, make sure everything is hooked up right, and start the engine.

edit: here is a link directly to the cam sensor procedure.

Cam Sensor Information
yes its a turbo bucik motor...we hooked up everything right,BUT we moved the cam sensor thinking its the same procedure as a typical chevy motor or ford motor to adjust spark timing.. thanks for the help and link,highly appreciated

i do not get no spark at all =(.. when piston 1 is at TDC,the balancer marks in 0,the we follwed the gntype.org on how to set and adjust the cam sensor. we hand moved the balancer at 25',and tried to adjust the cam sensor with a volt meter. . We simply cannot turn the car on.. we do not get NO spark at all.. any help =(

Well, if you're sure the cam sensor is set right and the ses light comes on when you turn the key on I would look at the crank sensor.

Well, if the cam sensor is not adjusted right, would a SES light come on when i put key on ,engine off?? We are not sure if the ring behind the balance is adjusted right with the crank sensor.. what should i look at?? what color is the plug for the crank sensor? red or black? i dont know if i put the right connection plug to the crank sensor.. thanks

Key on engine off the ses light should be on. This is normal. I think the crank sensor has a black plug. I would check to see if the ring is passing through the gap on the sensor and then maybe back probe the sense line with a multimeter and slowly rotate the engine and look for the pulse.

Well we found a problem, the ground strap behind the intake , is getting super hot, when we try to crank the car up.. Hmmmmmm, any advice, appreciated yall for all the help!

Check the negative strap from the battery. It should go down to the lower bolt on the turbo support between the bracket and the block.

Thanks black bandit, but why is the ground strap getting super hot everytime we try to crank it? the group strap is bolted to the firewall on to one of the driver side bolts of the transmission// any idea? thanks

Did you check the one from the battery to the block? If that one isn't hooked up or has a bad connection the other straps will have to carry all of the current. This will cause them to get hot.

X2- sounds like that little strap is going solo on the ground duty-I'm surprised it even cranks

Did you check the one from the battery to the block? If that one isn't hooked up or has a bad connection the other straps will have to carry all of the current. This will cause them to get hot.

i will check that one defetnetly..thank

if i remember correct the ground wire is hooked up to the radiator support steel? who ever owned this GN before, relocated the negative wire there? ?/? im really confuse now.. i will have DOUBLE check very well, thanks for all the help and inputs, it is really helping me troubleshoot the problem! thanks again