Pinion snubber

Well I would definitely change them out and have shaft balanced because they can be loose and still be brinelled on the inside, especially being oe.Youll have to report back and let us know, hope it fixes it.

Before going too crazy I'd put the rear end securely on jack stands and run it up gently to the trouble speed. If its not shaking the problem is not in the drive line, almost certainly. I had to do this to find my tires were out of balance even after multiple rebalances. If it does shake take off the rear tires and put the nuts back on. Run the test again. Lastly you can do this test with no brake drums but you must not press the brakes! Gonna take a lot of self control.lol. good luck use caution.

Last edited:
I would think that changing out the OEM U joints would be the best place to start. Not too complicated or expensive. My BB 4spd chevelle did the same thing under heavy load. I was fortunate I worked in a service station at the time. Boss said "Start simple. Try the u joints first". Smart man he was. Fixed the issue.

Driveshaft is going in the shop today. Hopefully I'll get to drive the car before New Years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't driven mine since the beginning of November......it's put up for winter. I really miss driving it so I know how you feel...

I haven't driven mine since the beginning of November......it's put up for winter. I really miss driving it so I know how you feel...

I just took my GN out today for the first time in 2 years, changed the oil and filled up with fresh fuel. It put a smile on my face, like a virgin getting his cherry popped, I can't wait for spring. :)

Well, with the new brake drums and U-joints, I took the car for a road test. Unfortunately there is still vibration, though not as pronounced. The search continues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julian came down for a visit today. The weather and roads where crappy so he left me the car. I swapped tires from the car in my avatar as well as the driveshaft. Ran the car on the rack and watched the driveshaft, the compared to my T on the other rack...his shaft appears bent in the middle. So I put mine in and still does it. Checked runout on the axles and they where about .010 and visually had the same wobble as my T. The trans tailshaft bushing is a bit loose and I hate to tear a tranny apart just to change that bushing and have it not fix it. I then opened the rear end and took it apart. I found the bolt that holds the pin in broke and had to drill it out. I also found one of the carrier gearings just starting to pit. So nothing concrete yet. I had bad carriers bearings in my GN this summer and no vibrations at all.

One thought is this car just does not like poly bushings. Although I did a frame off last winter on a local GN and it has no vibrations like this and I used poly everywhere minus the from control arms....trans crossmember, body bushings, rear control arms are all poly. I also have a mix of poly and OE on my GN and no vibrations either..lol. these damn cars sometimes they just kick your but. I and going to take some driveshaft runout reading when I get the rear together. maybe the yoke is of center .