Leaking pinion

HUENEMEGN

So I notice my pinion seal was leaking . I replace the seal and added fluid . Drove around but now it’s leaking again but from the Pinion Bolt area . Should I have added sealer or RTV to the splines of the pinion ?? I read some do add something. Which is better if needed ???

I have had similar happen and I tapped the seal in a bit further (rubber mallet/carefully) and stopped it. Another time this happened and doing so did not work. I went back and got a different brand and it worked better. I have noticed some minor differences between the brands and how they are made. Good Luck !

I just finished this about 5 months ago I'm sorry I can't remember if I did that to mine.. I remember seeing or following the directions on YOUTUBE or in the instructions that came with the gears & the new differential.. I may have put some on the deep part of the splines I honestly can't remember. .. And mine doesn't leak. Look up some gear instructions on line to see if it required it. Mine was Richmond gears with a Detroit Tru Trac.

I just finished this about 5 months ago I'm sorry I can't remember if I did that to mine.. I remember seeing or following the directions on YOUTUBE or in the instructions that came with the gears & the new differential.. I may have put some on the deep part of the splines I honestly can't remember. .. And mine doesn't leak. Look up some gear instructions on line to see if it required it. Mine was Richmond gears with a Detroit Tru Trac.
I looked at some YouTube videos and no one said to add sealant to the splines . I read some threads and I saw a few people adding rtv to the splines of the pinion . Just want to see if I missed something then I can go back and add some .

When we did some upgrades to the car and purchased a new, forged drive shaft the local vendor failed to fill the hole with RTV and plug it. When we parked it on a slope it poured out, when flat it would not. Driving it would make a mess. We were told if he failed to plug it I would have to and sure enough I did. Maybe that is it?

I went through the exact same thing you did... I figured it couldn't hurt.. I wanna say i put some on the seal housing & the splines back deep but I wouldn't bet on it.. heck I forgot what I ate the day before yesterday. lol... If I didn't write it down... I'll forget it. what ever the dude on youtube said to do for the solid spacer Bearing preload
for the pinion bearing that's what i did... Make sure its not OVER FILLED.

Last edited:
NOT RTV. Just a dab of permatex 2 on the face and splines, but you really should not need anything
But first is the vent Open and clear the top of the housing

NOT RTV. Just a dab of permatex 2 on the face and splines, but you really should not need anything
But first is the vent Open and clear the top of the housing
Honesty , I’ve never looked at the vent in a million years . I either forgot it had one or I’m a dummy . I think both . lol
I will check it out tomorrow after work .

When we did some upgrades to the car and purchased a new, forged drive shaft the local vendor failed to fill the hole with RTV and plug it. When we parked it on a slope it poured out, when flat it would not. Driving it would make a mess. We were told if he failed to plug it I would have to and sure enough I did. Maybe that is it?
Wrong end....

If you use a sealer.... We use "The Right Stuff".
Made to seal such lubes.
We use it in place of the gasket on rear covers and 9" carriers.

Clean the splines on the pinion and yoke, then apply a small bead of rightstuff to seal the spline to the yoke at the inside end of the splines. The pinion seal seals the outside of the yoke to the housing, but the gear lube will seep up the splines and out between the front of the pinion and nut/washer area. That does make the yoke more difficult to remove later, so the alternative is to just run a bead around the yoke/pinion spline area just before installing the washer and nut.
I prefer to seal it at the back of the spline so that the splines aren't oiled and can possibly move against each other. But mebbie that's overthinking it. It's just how I do it.
TIMINATOR