Pinion snubber

Knux65

Is this a pinion snubber?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450382011.057967.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yepper. Someone added the extra height of the square tube (probably in the early 90's). Stock, the flange was bolted directly to the frame.

Yepper. Someone added the extra height of the square tube (probably in the early 90's). Stock, the flange was bolted directly to the frame.

Yep, I had one like that back then. The claim was it would increase traction by putting load on the axle. It wasn't effective, it acted more like a pogo stick and would unload the suspension.

Or, the prev owner hauled his 300# MIL around.. Either in the trunk, or the back seat!:smuggrin:

Is it possible for these things to transfer vibration into the car?

Is it possible for these things to transfer vibration into the car?

It should not be on the snubber at ride height. I know where you are going with that question:)

It should not be on the snubber at ride height. I know where you are going with that question:)

You're right. Once I let the car down I saw it didn't make contact. Still trying to pin down this vibration. New tires mounted and balanced definitely helped. One tailpipe was rubbing on a spring so I moved that. Haven't had a chance to test since. What else should I look at?

Seat of the pants. It's like this pulsing vibration at high speed.

You might try pulling driveshaft and inspecting u joints, make they aren't stiff and inspect shaft for weight being thrown off, nicks or dings in shaft and weld areas where the caps are welded to tube.Personally I would change out joints any way unless its been done recently.After that about the only thing left is pinion bearings or carrier bearings in differential and youll have to pull diff. cover for inspection.By the way it doesn't go away when you lst off gas does it?

Before the new tires it was constant above 70mph. Now it can cruise 70+ but the vibrations start under heavy throttle.

Don't forget about brake drums. Had that happen on one of mine. Personally I would get the driveshaft balanced.

Guess I'll swap drums and learn how to pull a driveshaft. The hard part will be finding a shop to balance it.

If your going to pull drums also check axle flange too make sure it doesn't have a bent axle Ive seen all of these scenarios over the years.These are all good places too start looking so good luck.

Before the new tires it was constant above 70mph. Now it can cruise 70+ but the vibrations start under heavy throttle.

Could be rear control arm bushings are worn. Under hard throttle it be causing excessive pinion angle. Just a thought.

Could be rear control arm bushings are worn. Under hard throttle it be causing excessive pinion angle. Just a thought.

They're original so they're definitely worn. But when the cars already moving at high speed would the hard throttle effect them?