parachute

Brad T

Is there any rule on how far the mount hangs out behind the car?My thought is to keep it short but I see most cars have the pack mount and the clevis a fair distance from the rear of the car.

I don't think there is any rules on the chute mount. But there is rule that the chute cable needs to be fastened within 12" of the end.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

How the parachute is mounted can have a lot to do with how well it deploys.

if you have it to close to the car it will not get in the air and fall to the ground and not open.:eek:

I was told by Bob Stroud that are cars are to heavy and slow(using 150MPH and 3500#s as an example) to actually deploy correctly
He recommends either a air assist or spring assist setup

If you mount the chute high and angle it upwards a little, it will deploy into the airstream coming off the decklid.
I see so many of them hanging low off the rear bumper, I wonder how in the world they ever open going down the track.

When i began to fab up my own brakets and mounts i looked for any data on this subject. I found nothing. Sure everyone sells brackets and kits but no one offers any real data. I have found out that mounting a chute is basically up to how ever a specific shop prefers.

I looked at many race cars and settled on having the chute pack at a 60 deg angle from center. The pack lines up about 5 inches below the lip line of the factory GN trunk fin. I felt that this spot allowed the top of the chute to grab the air coming off the trunk. Once just a small portion of air catches the canopy the rest is inevitable..the chute will blossom.

There are much better chute launching methods, the spring method is ancient. But it works extemely well and is cheap. It what i use along with all my friend who have chutes. A C0 2 launcher will really heave that pack into the the airstream for more $$$

Attachments

• Chute4.JPG
    Chute4.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,542
Complete c02 setup minus bottle runs about 800 from Stroud.
Nice people to deal with,Ordered that setup yesterday

I have the spring assisted Stroud and never had any issues. Even pulling it on the 1/8 tracks at 135, it opens easily.

I've been running the CO2 Stroud setup for years. It definitely makes the chute open faster and it's a whole lot easier to pack than the spring setups.

I've got a Stroud. The mount goes through the panel behind the gas door. It sits below the lip of the decklid spoiler. No problem with spring assist deploy.

From what I'm told, Stroud chutes deploy softer than other makes. This is my first chute and I don't have any experience with any others.

Attachments

• IM001839.JPG
    IM001839.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 871
I have a Simpson, but would go with a Stroud next time around. There are less lines to tangle. Ask Holly H. about that!!!

I have a Simpson, but would go with a Stroud next time around. There are less lines to tangle. Ask Holly H. about that!!!

LOL. Holly was cussing my Stroud because we had no idea how to pack it. We were making it much more difficult than it was. Once Bamford showed me how it's done it's much more simple with only 4 strands and can be done in a couple minutes. It's bad when it gets tangled but that Simpson with triple the strands is a bear when it gets tangled.

I agree a spring assist chute is not a bad idea, after watching the videos
of Bowling Green 2005 in Joe Lubrant's car even after a 158 mph run the
chute just about falls to the ground before opening. Although at that speed a
chute isn't really necessary to stop the car (has excellent brakes) it's a just
an in case reaction.

Randy Eakins had a Stroud chute on his super street Corvette (190mph plus) that somehow came unraveled where it mounts to anchoring point on the 1st or second pass and just flew off the car (maybe Dan can elaborate). I like the spring launched Simpsons, aim the pilot chute to catch the air stream at the tip of the wing. They seem to open faster with less complication on the repack.

Thanks for all the replies and pics.It sounds like as long as it pops into the air stream it will work fine.I think I will measure the reach of the eyelets on the pack and put it just out of reach of the new paint job.

Thanks for all the replies and pics.It sounds like as long as it pops into the air stream it will work fine.I think I will measure the reach of the eyelets on the pack and put it just out of reach of the new paint job.
Good thinking. I didn't think about the pack flaps slapping the car. I set my pack far away enough from the back of the car so that I could reach behind the pack for dusting.