overdrive whines on "new" stage III transmission

nolanator

@none_more_black
Recently I bought an Extreme Automatics Stage III transmission from a user on here, and upon receiving it I had a shop take it apart and go through it to ensure it was genuine and had all the advertised components. Everything looked as it should be, but a couple days ago I got bored and decided to install it in my buddies back yard and everything went well until the test drive. first, second, and third gear is great, but when goes into fourth it whines and kinda has an intermittent buzzing sound similar to a failing power steering pump.

The sound seems be much more apparent when I am off throttle and as far as I can tell is the only symptom of something wrong. I don't feel any jerking or lagging, shifting is fine. This sound though is concerning.

Anyone have any ideas to what it could be?

Did the shop take the input shaft out and remove the OD planet? The gear in the OD could be installed upside down which will allow it to move in the carrier causing a whine. Easy to make a mistake.

Did the shop take the input shaft out and remove the OD planet? The gear in the OD could be installed upside down which will allow it to move in the carrier causing a whine. Easy to make a mistake.

i'll give them a call and ask next week. In the meantime, i'll stay out of OD. I appreciate the information.

i'll give them a call and ask next week. In the meantime, i'll stay out of OD. I appreciate the information.

Update:
I called the shop, and they were very humble and without even seeing the car, apologetic for any inconvenience. He asked me to bring the car by sometime and said he would be happy to take a look at it.