Motor stalls as soon as transmission is put in any gear, new transmission and converter

Steve

I just installed a new 200r4 and converter and as soon as I put the car in any gear it jumps and stalls immediately. It seems like the converter doesn't have any slip when in gear. Both the trans and converter came from reputable vendors and I know they will work with me to get everything resolved, so I am just looking to try to figure out what exactly is causing the problem. I ordered the trans as a non lockup and of course I ordered a NLU converter also. I searched the board and I found a post with a similar issue and someone posted this as a possibility:

Two; it's possible that the transmission was built with a pump that was modified for non-L/U use. Many times, the non-L/U mods rearrange fluid flow through the converter such that it would cause a full-time L/U problem if a L/U converter were to be installed.

Could this be the case for me? Could it be as simple as I was sent a lock up converter by mistake? Any other suggestions to look at? Thanks for the help!

Call the vendor. Without knowing what you have done to your trans or what converter you have its hard to say what's going on.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Call the vendor. Without knowing what you have done to your trans or what converter you have its hard to say what's going on.

I have called the converter vendor and they are looking into it. I posted here to get some more insight into possibilities that could be causing the problem. I have faith the vendor will take care of it, but of course we have to figure exactly what the root cause is first.

Who's trans? Pics of the converter and numbers on it

What if you drop it in gear and give it a little gas? Can you keep it running?

The only way I could keep it running in gear was to jack the car up and put it on jack stands and let the rear wheels spin. It seems like manual transmission car when it's in gear.

what you describe will happen if you put a lockup converter on a non lock transmission

drop the trans and get the right non lock converter
if you need to move the car around without pulling the trans you could drop the pan pull the nonlock valve and pin and swap back in a lockup valve+ spring and a tcc solenoid, if it has an art carr non lockup kit the trans would need to come down and the pump pulled to make it a lockup

edit scratch the no pull to make it work with a lockup converter ..i forgot about the o-ring on the input shaft that would need to be in place for the lockup converter ,also the check capsule in the end of input would also be missing but a lockup converter would work without replacing it .
if its a lonnie trans (EA) built for non lock he may have used an input shaft that cant be converted for lockup because it lacks the tip that the o-ring and check capsule go on

Last edited:
Thanks for information guys. The most simple explanation is usual the correct one and it would not be difficult to get a couple of converter mixed up or mislabeled. The good news is that I bought everything from good reliable Buick vendors so I am sure we can get worked out. Thanks again.

drop the pan pull the nonlock valve and pin and swap back in a lockup valve+ spring and a tcc solenoid, if it has an art carr lockup kit the trans would need to come down and the pum[p pulled to make it a lockup

If it's not an art car lockup it might just be easier to do that and call it a day...

Last edited:
Pull converter and look inside to see if it is a lockup or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the converter is locked up. My TBSS did that when i got it rebuilt and got a bad TC from a reputable vendor as well.