Open Car Trailer Discussion

Another tiny overlooked feature would be a removable driver side fender, an easy mod to it afterwards. On some trailers opening the door scrapes or hits the top of it. I have opened a door of a car sitting on the trailer, hopped in, cranked it up and scraped the bottom trying to shut the door. Also the new LED lightbars help when loading ( you can see under the car for low hanging items) and for backing your trailer up.They fit perfectly between the ramps, mine just had red reflectors there.

Last edited:
If you put a piece of 2x10 for the wheels to drive up on you wont end up with a door opening clearance issue... Might take 2 and then you have more room to get under the trailer to tie it down. Not really any downsides

My trailer is 16' with last 2' dovetail. 3500# 3" drop axles with the axle center being 58%. I run 13" C load radials. It sits low. The tounge is double stacked to raise it up for bumper pull. When empty it has a slight upward rake, when loaded with a car it sits the truck level and the trailer level. Pulls like a dream. I can lay a brick under the jack and put the rear of the trailer on the ground. Hauled mustangs, 84 caprice wagon, '73 225 electra. Used lawnmower ramps that use 2x6s for a while just so bumper covers would clear. You never know you are pulling a car except for the lug of the extra weight.

My trailer is 16' with last 2' dovetail. 3500# 3" drop axles with the axle center being 58%. I run 13" C load radials. It sits low. The tounge is double stacked to raise it up for bumper pull. When empty it has a slight upward rake, when loaded with a car it sits the truck level and the trailer level. Pulls like a dream. I can lay a brick under the jack and put the rear of the trailer on the ground. Hauled mustangs, 84 caprice wagon, '73 225 electra. Used lawnmower ramps that use 2x6s for a while just so bumper covers would clear. You never know you are pulling a car except for the lug of the extra weight.
So is yours 14' flat with 2' dove tail?

A lot of good recommendations!

I love my open trailer and it tows like a dream. The only downside is I would like to take the car to BG and its a 12 hour tow and an enclosed would sure be nice. For local tracks it is great, easy to load, store, park etc and uses 1/2 the gas that my 24 ft enclosed did behind my 2004 Chev 15 with a 5.3.

Attachments

• MY TRAILER 007.JPG
    MY TRAILER 007.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 110
  • MY TRAILER 008.JPG
    MY TRAILER 008.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • MY TRAILER 009.JPG
    MY TRAILER 009.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • MY TRAILER 015.JPG
    MY TRAILER 015.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
  • MY TRAILER 017.JPG
    MY TRAILER 017.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
I love my open trailer and it tows like a dream. The only downside is I would like to take the car to BG and its a 12 hour tow and an enclosed would sure be nice. For local tracks it is great, easy to load, store, park etc and uses 1/2 the gas that my 24 ft enclosed did behind my 2004 Chev 15 with a 5.3.
That's a nice looking trailer, is it a 16'?
Leaning towards the 18' but cant decide between wood or metal deck.

This is an 18 foot ATC with upgraded brakes and 15 inch wheels. I can't say enough about this trailer !

But after 10 years of sitting in that hot sun, all the metal trailer needs is a can or two of flat black paint. I honestly dont know how long the wood would last.

Made the 2.5 hr ride out to coal country today and picked up this beauty! Extremely happy with my decision. 18x84 metal deck plain jane deal with 15" bias ply tires, 5' slide in ramps and spare tire. Off the lot price of $2145. The trailer itself is a PT trailer manufactured in Alabama for those of you wondering. She pulled like a dream. Truck didn't miss a beat either as I kept it in trailer mode the entire trip back. One thing I do have to play with is the brake box because when I had it set on like 5-6 coming to a stop light in town the trailer brakes locked up while the truck was still moving.

Never use trailer brakes on an empty trailer, it will do more harm than good. Nice trailer and you will be happy how it handles all loaded down.

Never use trailer brakes on an empty trailer, it will do more harm than good. Nice trailer and you will be happy how it handles all loaded down.
Ok, thank you. Did not know that. What would you suggest a starting point on the break box with trailer loaded?

IMG_20170409_103031811_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170409_094031418.jpg
couple more from this morning. Also bought a speed master 12k winch off eBay. Going to fab a bracket that will bolt front of the deck frame

Great looking trailer,and great price as you quoted.... I know you are please with your trailer, but if that Youngster that is on the
trailer is any indication how happy you are about your purchase ...expression said it all..:):)

Looks good.......just a matter of playing around with the settings on the controller to find the happy spot.

What would you suggest a starting point on the break box with trailer loaded?

That will depend on loaded weight , the more weight the more brake bias . I would test mine loaded going down the driveway to make sure they didn't lock up and adjust from there . Nice looking trailer , LED lights? Also put some de-ox compound on the pig tail connections & bulbs if it's not LED , that stuff corrodes fast .